Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100966 times)

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
Re: 2004 DVD Release List (UPDATE: POSSIBLE STAR WARS ART)
« Reply #255 on: March 7, 2004, 10:41 PM »
I know what you mean, Virex! 8)

Edit by AngryEwok -
Matt, please add some substance to the discussion by providing more than just a simple statement; tell us what you think, elaborate, do something - don't just quote a big block of someone elses post only to give a little comment like the above. Thanks.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 8, 2004, 09:59 AM by Angry Ewok »
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: 2004 DVD Release List (UPDATE: POSSIBLE STAR WARS ART)
« Reply #256 on: March 7, 2004, 10:57 PM »
I know what you mean, Virex! 8)

Hey, can you stop quoting huge posts, only to add a one-sentence reply?

Thanks.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2004 DVD Release List (UPDATE: THX-1138)
« Reply #257 on: March 7, 2004, 11:04 PM »
Saw Schindler's List was $17.99 at Best Buy this week, not really interested in picking it up...seing it once was enough for me.  Nothing against anything and its a great wonderfully powerful movie, I just don't feel the need to watch it again :-[

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #258 on: March 7, 2004, 11:06 PM »
Saw Schindler's List was $17.99 at Best Buy this week, not really interested in picking it up...seing it once was enough for me.  Nothing against anything and its a great wonderfully powerful movie, I just don't feel the need to watch it again :-[

Yeah.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #259 on: March 7, 2004, 11:14 PM »
 :P

Real post:  

Yeah, for as great a movie as it is, you're right, Schindler's List doesn't exactly have the repeat-viewing factor of, say, a Office Space.  I even bought the (very good quality) bootleg a year or so ago, scanned through a couple of scenes, and that was it.  I've never been able to make the emotional investment in it to sit through it again.

:-\

But I do think is that it's important enough of a film to own on DVD, and maybe someday the mood will strike me to watch it again.

Believe it's supposed to be selling for $16.99 at Target this week--lower than if you even Shared the Love. . .

(Beware the foolscreen, too!)
« Last Edit: March 7, 2004, 11:15 PM by Billy Corgan »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #260 on: March 7, 2004, 11:17 PM »
Is every crappy ass TV show going to come out with Season Sets...I saw Good Times at Best Buy the other day while I was checking out the GI Joe set, Good Times?  I mean come on...pretty soon we'll be seeing stuff like Saved by the Bell, Boy Meets World...er....The DUkes of Hazzard on DVD.  Ugh, its just way too much stuff that's going on Discs, I have a backlog of stuff so huge right now I'm putting a small kibosh on DVD purchases.  How do you guys keep up with the stuff (having a small child and pregnant wife don't help the situation)

I am going to still buy:

The Running Man: Special Edition
Kill Bill Volume 1 (might wait though for a KB double box set)
Big Fish  :-[ :'(
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (25th)
    Two-Disc Theatrical Version (widescreen)
Trainspotting: Special Edition
Ed Wood
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Iron Giant: Special Edition
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King:
    Four-Disc Extended Edition
Seinfeld: The Complete First Season
The Simpsons: The Complete Fourth Season
Star Wars Trilogy (four-disc set)
Spider-Man 2
« Last Edit: March 7, 2004, 11:18 PM by OCB »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #261 on: March 7, 2004, 11:26 PM »
Holy sh!t--TV on DVD has exploded over the past couple of years, most definitely.  I think the release of the first Simpsons set back in 2001 really got the ball rolling there.  Once Mr. Belvedere: The Complete First Season comes out, I'm seriously re-evaluating the hobby.

. . .Nah.  :)

They can put out all the stuff they want--one man's trash is another man's treasure, and the more crap they put out, the more likely it is that they'll put out something I'm interested in.

(And personally, I'd much rather buy stuff like SBTB or Boy Meets World than crap like G.I. Joe and Transformers, but that's just me, and it proves my above point rather nicely, don't you think?)  :)

I'll put up my want list for 2K4 here in just a sec. . .

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #262 on: March 7, 2004, 11:42 PM »
Here we go:

Schindler's List (3/9)
The Commitments: Special Edition (3/16) (maybe)
The Running Man: Special Edition (3/16) (maybe)
Panic Room: Special Edition (3/30) (maybe)
Freaks & Geeks: The Complete Series (4/6)
The Matrix Revolutions (4/6)
Kill Bill: Volume 1 (4/13)
Master & Commander (4/20) (maybe)
Big Fish (4/27)
The Last Samurai (widescreen) (5/3) (maybe)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
     (Two-Disc Theatrical Version) (widescreen) (5/25)
Saving Private Ryan: D-Day 60th Anniversary (5/25) (maybe)
The Dukes of Hazzard: The Complete First Season (6/1) (maybe)
Trainspotting: Special Edition (6/1) (maybe)
Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition (9/21)
Aladdin: Platinum Series (10/5)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
     Four-Disc Extended Edition (November)
The Iron Giant: Special Edition
Kill Bill: Volume Two
Seinfeld: The Complete First Season
The Simpsons: The Complete Fourth Season
Spider-Man 2
Star Wars: Clone Wars

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #263 on: March 7, 2004, 11:47 PM »
I found Schindler's List on sale at Sam Goody today, for something like $26.99.

Eeesh.

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #264 on: March 8, 2004, 12:11 AM »
Oh, hey, speaking of Aladdin--just noticed that TDB has put up two versions of the artwork:

Who knows which version will be released.  Now usually, I prefer covers like the one on the left (the simpler, the better), but in the case of Aladdin, Robin Williams' Genie character was a key to the popularity of the film, so it'd be weird to see a cover without him on there (maybe some residual left-overs from the big spat that Williams had with Disney soon after the release, which was reportedly taken care of years ago?)

Aladdin is my favorite of the early-90's Disney animated flicks--so I'm eagerly looking forward to it, and it should be a fantastic disc.

(And between Schindler's List, Aladdin, and Star Wars, it's already shaping up to be a really nice year for the big, "why isn't this on DVD yet?" releases.  And we still have the second half of the year for announcements. . .)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #265 on: March 8, 2004, 01:04 PM »
I've been trying to think of shows I want to see on DVD...

• The original MOTU
  • M.A.S.K
That's it...I'll try and think of more but I'm really stumped, I have been picking up the Simpsons and CHeers sets and will probably pick of Family Guy, Futurama and Seinfeld...this whole thing is just nuts though

SilverZ

« Reply #266 on: March 8, 2004, 03:11 PM »
Aladdin's also a pretty important movie for me, lots of memories associated with it. I wish that they had gone with the old CAV laserdisc packaging though:

Crappy pic of it, so trust me its beautiful.  ;) Much classier. I think I'll hang onto that disc just for the art's sake.

Oh, also the redundancy on the DVD cover is annoying. So it's a "Platinum Edition 2-Disc Special Edition" BVHE? Nice.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2004, 03:13 PM by Tydirium »

SilverZ

« Reply #267 on: March 8, 2004, 04:37 PM »
And the hits keep on... truckin':

Field of Dreams

I love this movie and hate the current release, which is a non-anamorphic LD-era rehash.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #268 on: March 8, 2004, 04:41 PM »
Oh yeah, I'll be getting that...speaking of Baseball movies...Are there releases of these available?

Sandlot
The Natural

I'm also hoping for a Widescreen Special Edition of The Jerk...with commentary by Reiner and Martin

SilverZ

« Reply #269 on: March 8, 2004, 04:47 PM »
Yep, both are available. I haven't seen Sandlot, but it looks like its 2:35:1 anamorphic widescreen, and cheap to boot - 11.09 at Dvdempire.com. I have the Natural disc, and it's not too shabby at all.

No kidding about The Jerk! I won't touch that POS they released. There's a bunch of Universal comedies that need to be revisited. Top of my list is Happy Gilmore.