Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100966 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2004 DVD Release List (UPDATE: LOTR Theatrical Trilogy)
« Reply #300 on: March 10, 2004, 03:39 PM »
Release dates, random musings...  I guess it can all live happily together, if Billy boy doesn't mind various DVD ramblings in his thread...   ;)

Still not much exciting me in the way of new releases of late.  I'm probably more looking forward to some of the "second release" Special Edition upgrade DVDs that are on tap for this year, like Shawshank Redemption, Titanic, and Top Gun.  I think Jared told me last week that a better Purple Rain was on the way too.  Any other good ones beyond those?

Damn.  Another Saving Private Ryan...   :-\  Any word on the upgrades/extras on that one?

Wild Things - Unrated...?!   8)  Sounds intriguing.   ;)

I'll probably pick up the In Living Color Season 1 DVD set too.  Loved that show!

Wait a sec.  Don't see Shawshank SE on your list there Matt...  Is that still on tap for this year, or am I getting my signals crossed?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 03:49 PM by JediMAC »

SilverZ

« Reply #301 on: March 10, 2004, 04:05 PM »
I did a seperate thread because it looked like we were straying off-topic in BC's - but, fine, merge my thread.  :-*

Matt, yeah, WB just confirmed a Shawshank 2 disc SE for later this year for its 10th Anv. There's a transcript up at theDigitalBits from the WB chat with the brownnosing HTF earlier this week:

Good release news amidst people kissing WB rears

Sounds like we're getting Batman SE's next year. Bummer, I want Batman and Batman Returns now!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #302 on: March 10, 2004, 04:49 PM »

"It might not be the ultimate "überset" mentioned in yesterday's post, but you WILL be able to buy the complete theatrical edition of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy as a 6-disc DVD set from New Line on May 25th (SRP $89.98)."

Catching up on the thread here...  So will this be the exact same complete set of all three "Theatrical Edition" LOTR DVD sets?  I only ever bother to pick up the EEs, since those are the definitive film versions to me, but if the three discs of extras from the Theatrical DVD releases are in this boxset too, I may finally pick this stuff up if I find a good sale.  All the "extras" are different than the EE "extras", correct?

As for The Sandlot, shame on the folks for not knowing about that one!  I've seen Circuit City run that DVD on sale a number of times for about $7.  Not bad at all!  I definitely snagged mine at that price...

Oh, and yeah - snapper cases SUCK!   >:(  I'll be having Jared assist me in putting together some regular cases for all those!   8)

There's a transcript up at theDigitalBits from the WB chat with the brownnosing HTF earlier this week:

Good release news amidst people kissing WB rears

Good (LONG) read.  Thanks for the link J.  I see a "MatthewB" in that chat transcript.  Anyone we know?   8)  Can you imagine if Hasbro did a chat like that?  That would be absolutely mind boggling...

Loved this quote from the WB rep:

[warnerbros] So, two hours & ten minutes, and no nasty comments about snappers? What's going on with you folks]? :)

Of course, they didn't even address the issue after a couple joking comments on it.   :-\

Crap.  Looks like I've got to replace my The Lost Boys DVD now too...  Ugh.   :-\  Fortunately, for whatever reason, I haven't bought the Batman DVD(s) yet, so I'll just snag the SEs whenever they hit next year.

I'm sure Billy's already seen this list, but just in case: HTF Chat Summary: Warner Bros. DVD Release Status

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 10, 2004, 05:05 PM »
Thanks for the info on the Batman releases.  I have actually been looking for the 1989 Batman movie on DVD lately, but haven't been able to find it (except online).  I have heard that the DVD itself isn't that great, so I'll just hold out for the SE next year.  Thanks again!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 11, 2004, 07:24 AM »
The extras on the TE are different than the EEs, Matt.  Nothing really mind boggling as they saved all the good stuff for the EEs.  I found the best extras were the sneak peeks at the next movie and extended editions.  

I've been holding off on buying Shawshank for the longest time - although it's not like I can't catch it on TNT's continous loop, it seems they're always playing this movie.  And hopefully they do away with the dreaded snapper.

Also looking forward to the SE's of Top Gun, Lost Boys and Batman.  Movies I've wanted to buy but didn't because of rumored SEs coming.  Looks like my patience finally paid off.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 11, 2004, 08:28 AM »
All right, I just read that chat.  Some great stuff coming out.  In addition to my wants above, Heat and Goodfellas SEs are coming.  Two more movies I've held off buying.  A little disappointed that Sleepers SE isn't on the drawing board as that's another movie I would like to have.

And I think the King Kong and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers SEs will be great.  My wife made me watch SBfSB once and I thought I wouldn't like it.  Really suprised by it and would definitely buy a 2 disc SE of it.  

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #306 on: March 11, 2004, 10:54 AM »
I see a "MatthewB" in that chat transcript.  Anyone we know?   8)

Here's the quote from "MatthewB":

"[MatthewB] It's my birthday too ;) Anyway, is there any chance at all for a near-future release of a Poltergeist Special Edition DVD since the 20th Anniversary Edition was abruptly and inexplicably cancelled (any further explanation for that)?"

Sorry--not me.  My birthday's in November, and I was at work during the chat, too.  Good try, though.  ;)  (But I have been waiting on a decent version of Poltergeist forever.  Bastards.)

Can you imagine if Hasbro did a chat like that?  That would be absolutely mind boggling...

Old-timers might remember the official chats with "Jen at Hasbro", back around the 1998-99 timeframe.  While they were cool, they were certainly not as long or as in-depth as this WB chat (or some of the other HTF chats). . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #307 on: March 11, 2004, 11:10 AM »
Yeah those Hasbro chats were pretty neat (I think there were 2 of them), they announced Kabe and Muftak in one of those chats

http://www.rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=856

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #308 on: March 11, 2004, 11:39 AM »
Yeah those Hasbro chats were pretty neat (I think there were 2 of them), they announced Kabe and Muftak in one of those chats

http://www.rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=856

In future please stick to a topic when it's started IE if you post about say a new "Death Star Luke" figure then stick to it and it may stay around much longer. But when you change the thread into say "Death Star Luke figure and EU KOTOR figures" and theres already a thread on it (and you clearly know their is one) then the thread isn't serving it's original purpose and becomes off topic. Also search for any already opened threads that are discussing the subject you wish to post about because 80% time their is already something posted on a subject somewhere in here.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #309 on: March 11, 2004, 12:02 PM »
I never, ever, listen to people that want the good old days back. The good old days were when this was a small community. It is no longer small and compared to the unhappy members, we have many happy ones.

If the forum isn't for you, there are several other forums out there and they are all run by excellent webmasters. You'll be happier, I'll be happier and the community will be happier.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 12:03 PM by OCB »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #310 on: March 11, 2004, 12:07 PM »
I never, ever, listen to people that want the good old days back. The good old days were when this was a small community. It is no longer small and compared to the unhappy members, we have many happy ones.

If the forum isn't for you, there are several other forums out there and they are all run by excellent webmasters. You'll be happier, I'll be happier and the community will be happier.

As a mod, have you given Chris Berry your full name, mailing address, birthdate, Social Security number, credit card number, and birth certificate yet?

SilverZ

« Reply #311 on: March 11, 2004, 01:56 PM »
Don't forget to include your religious denomination and political status. And pee in this cup for the drug test.

SilverZ

« Reply #312 on: March 11, 2004, 02:07 PM »
I'm really suprised how detailed and forthcoming some of those chats are, like the WB one. We seem to have a pretty good idea of most of their 2004 catalog slate now.

I'm glad they're revisting some of their very early 97-98 titles again, especially Goodfellas. Those discs just don't hold up now. Not as much from an extras standpoint but from picture quality. The bigger screen I'm watching on now really reveals problems with transfers and compression. Things can look shockingly good or shockingly bad and rarely in-between. It makes a lot of great movies that came out early on look like poo. Now if they could sort out Bladerunner, all would be right in the world.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 02:16 PM by Tydirium »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #313 on: March 11, 2004, 02:25 PM »
Sorry--not me.  My birthday's in November...

Oh, sure...  Now you tell us.  Little late.  Well, happy super belated birthday bub.   :-*

Yeah, those Hasbro chats with Jen were the best...   8)  Nuthin' like it since she bailed though.  Dumbasses refuse to speak to us anymore...   >:(  Hopefully some other DVD chats like that will pop up with some of the other studios/distributors too though, 'cause that's almost as fun!

So, who's got the scoop on the unrated action coming in the new Wild Things?  Denise and Neve gonna get even more funky on eachother...?   8)   :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 02:53 PM by JediMAC »

SilverZ

« Reply #314 on: March 11, 2004, 06:23 PM »
Dumbasses refuse to speak to us anymore...

Has anyone tried to set one up though from any of the major sites? Or here? It doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to coordinate.