Author Topic: Saga Legends "Mission Series" Figure 2-Packs  (Read 67475 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: Saga Legends "Mission Series" Figure 2-Packs
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2014, 10:29 PM »
Yeah, these sets are just fun.  I have wanted  Han/Chewie and R2/3PO 2 packs since 1995.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2014, 03:03 AM »
Does anyone know what the case ratio is on the second wave? I found like ten of each set at my local WM and was shocked, since I haven't seen that much new product in one place since the 2008 Legacy launch.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 5, 2014, 01:08 AM »
Spotted at Target today, 3 Obi/Maul sets, 3 Han/Chewie sets and 2 3PO/R2 sets. I got one of the droid packs, but passed on the other two due to the TERRIBLE paint apps. Obi and Maul had the usual bad eyes that Yakface has been covering recently while Han and Chewie all had various problems. One Han had an arm that was completely unpainted!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 5, 2014, 11:32 AM »
Okay, so here's a question to Hasbro for Toy Fair.  If people have been finding product they want to buy, like Diddly and others, on the pegs, but they pass on them due to horrible quality control (paint apps), then isn't this is another reason that product doesn't move?  It's not that people don't want what they put out but they pass on it because the final product is bad.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 5, 2014, 12:50 PM »
Okay, so here's a question to Hasbro for Toy Fair.  If people have been finding product they want to buy, like Diddly and others, on the pegs, but they pass on them due to horrible quality control (paint apps), then isn't this is another reason that product doesn't move?  It's not that people don't want what they put out but they pass on it because the final product is bad.

I like that question.  Just to buid, I would like to know what Hasbro's minimum threshold of quality is for each of the SW lines.  Does it differ between the different series offerings (Legends, Black, Mission)?  I know many collectors were willing to stay on board with lower articulation as long as the sculpts and paints were solid, but Hasbro seems to be burning the candle from both ends.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #140 on: February 5, 2014, 02:07 PM »
Does anyone know what the case ratio is on the second wave? I found like ten of each set at my local WM and was shocked, since I haven't seen that much new product in one place since the 2008 Legacy launch.

4 each of 3 sets (Han/Chewy, OWK/Maul, R2/3PO)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 5, 2014, 05:52 PM »

Is it me, or is the quality control on the paint for all the product lines slipping?  Seems like I've passed on more than a handful of 6" and TBS figures due to crossed-eyes, etc.  I've historically not been all that anal about paint apps, so I'm not sure if I'm getting pickier or if the paint is actually worse across the board.

I do not mind the 5 POA figures from an articulation standpoint, but don't want to buy something that looks like a terrible bootleg (unless its actually a terrible bootleg) because the paint is so bad.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 5, 2014, 06:23 PM »

Is it me, or is the quality control on the paint for all the product lines slipping?  Seems like I've passed on more than a handful of 6" and TBS figures due to crossed-eyes, etc.  I've historically not been all that anal about paint apps, so I'm not sure if I'm getting pickier or if the paint is actually worse across the board.

No, it's not just you and it's not just this line.  I've noticed horrible paint apps on the 6" 'collector's' line as well.  I can't say about TBS too much since I've only bought a couple figures off that line so far, so I haven't paid much attention to them.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 5, 2014, 09:47 PM »
I noticed a drop in quality (paint, plastic, construction/assembly) on some Hasbro products back in 2012, mostly for Avengers movie figures and GI Joes. That drop seemed to spill over to Star Wars in 2013, starting with those "mini-rig" sets in the first half of the year and continuing with various Black Series, 5POA, and exclusive figures. I found the new wave of Mission Series last week, and all samples of all three sets I saw had paint issues. I can rationalize the poor paint on those figures since it's the "cheap" line, but if the Black Series "premium" lines get as bad I just won't buy.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #144 on: February 5, 2014, 11:57 PM »
Paint quality has been slipping since 2008...  So it's not really new even.  Washes got cut, etc.  I could take plenty of time to list corner cuts.  Hasbro's made many for some years now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 6, 2014, 12:17 AM »
Paint quality has been slipping since 2008...  So it's not really new even.  Washes got cut, etc.  I could take plenty of time to list corner cuts.  Hasbro's made many for some years now.

I think I would relegate fewer paint apps to a different category than sloppiness. It's still Hasbro being cheap, but fewer paint apps don't necessarily mean the figure looks like crap. I had never seen more cross eyes, eyes painted on foreheads, unpainted/mis-painted areas, paint drips, and other sloppiness on Star Wars figures than I did in 2013. I would rather see Hasbro raise prices $1 or $2 if it would keep the figures from looking like toys I painted myself.  :P

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 6, 2014, 07:50 AM »
It really all started with the Indiana Jones line. I remember spending hours in the toy aisles searching for figures that weren't cross eyed, or had their hairlines painted in the right spots. I'm not sure about their other lines since I don't collect them, but Star Wars was generally fine up until 2011 or so outside of stuff like Cody's antennas not being painted silver. Marvel has always been hit or miss (can't knock them for having some misprinted lines on Spider-Man), but never too bad until the Avengers line.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 6, 2014, 08:44 AM »
Agreed there has been a noticeable shift the past couple of years. I recall getting the Clone Wars Republic Assault Sub deluxe set and being stunned how poorly that scuba trooper was painted. I think they must have shifted a lot of their production to inferior factories.

I feel lucky to have gotten a couple of good Maul/Obi-Wan 2-packs, but I had to do a careful comparison among the multiple sets to find any that were passable.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #148 on: February 6, 2014, 08:00 PM »
I'd disagree with that...  You put simply a wash on some areas of a figure (a coat, a hair sculpt) and I think you'd see a vast improvement on a figure's look and quality...  Eyes are all over the place now for sure, not so much in TBS but you pay more...  Cuts happened there though which have been I'd say relatively as big an impact (since you pay more)...  You pay half at the MS/Legends level and the quality takes a bigger turn for the worse, but you also see a lot less of the little things that take a figure to another level even being attempted.

I think it's a little bit of apples/oranges comparing the two lines...  TBS with the eye paintjobs of MS/Legends?  That's inexcusable on a whole new level but due to price.  Not to say MS/Legends looking like **** isn't acceptable, but at the same time, "You get what you pay for" comes into play I guess.  Look at the vehicles now...  Yikes.  The quality's just abysmal.  It's knock-off level.

I don't normally agree with the blanket "Hasblow sucks" mantra I read around the net, but things like the new vehicles, ****** paint aps...  I can't help but pile on a little bit there.  I have a hard time saying anything positive about any of it.  It all sucks.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #149 on: February 7, 2014, 12:34 AM »
I saw a TBS 6" Greedo tonight with an eye deco a good 2-3mm off to one side. Whatever Hasbro is doing right now in terms of factory oversight, they need to lock it up before Rebels and Episode VII merch. hits that's for sure.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird