Author Topic: Toys R Us (Or: Die, Dinosaur, Die!)  (Read 104149 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Toys R Us (Or: Die, Dinosaur, Die!)
« Reply #180 on: April 3, 2018, 03:57 PM »
As the Toys R Us chain comes closer to shutting down, TRU corporate is set to auction off the leases to their retail locations to other retailers.  Read this USA Today article for more.

Toys R Us leases to be bid on this week by companies like Target, Big Lots, Aldi and others.

Articles like this, as well as ones like this indicate that any hopes that Toys R Us corporate might be able to keep some smaller percentage of the chain open and operating seem to be wishful thinking.  There are even articles about what may happen with the TRU headquarters campus and what will happen with all of that soon to be vacant office space.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #181 on: April 8, 2018, 12:29 PM »
Took a trip by our lcal TRU to see what was available.  We picked up a bunch of board games and I finally picked up the Landspeeder electric car “for the boys” ...the second they are too old for it, it will find a space in my collection room.

The landspeeder was by far the best deal....it started at half price and added another 10% off!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 8, 2018, 05:38 PM »
I was there thursday, my local store was one of the original close list, so it's at 70% off and it was grim inside.

Also, proof that Jyn Erso is the worst selling star wars lead character. Her 3 3/4" figures and whatever that Hasbro action doll line is figures were the only ones left of those assortments.  Still had 20+ First Order TIE pilots armor up versions but still $4+, at 70%??  No 3 3/4" vehicles left.  Zuvio at 6", only remaining 6 incher, still scans at $5.

All the True Heroes stuff was long gone, its aisle empty...interesting.

All Lego was gone save that weird action figure thing of guess who....Jyn Erso.

All Playmobil gone except some overpriced hockey guy.

Whole sections of store closed off with yellow warning tape.

Suffice to say, if there's something you want don't wait for 70% off.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2018, 05:39 PM by Scockery »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 9, 2018, 05:08 PM »
No love for Felicity Jones. :-[
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 9, 2018, 05:25 PM »
No love for Felicity Jones. :-[

More likely it was a case of Hasbro over-compensating on Jyn’s production numbers after the whole “Where’s Rey” phenomenon.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2018, 05:25 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 9, 2018, 05:29 PM »
We know who’s to blame for that.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 13, 2018, 04:39 PM »
http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/13/news/companies/toys-r-us-billionaire-bid/index.html

Billionaire CEO behind Bratz makes his bid for Toys 'R' US

Isaac Larian said Friday that he's entered a formal offer of $675 million to buy many of the Toys "R" Us stores in the United States, along with an additional $215 million for Toys "R" Us stores in Canada.

Larian is looking to buy more than 200 of the remaining 735 locations in the US, and almost all of more than 80 locations in Canada, a spokesperson said.

Larian, who runs MGA Entertainment, will use his own money for the bid, along with financing from banks and additional investors, according to a press release.

"The liquidation of Toys 'R' Us is going to have a long-term effect on the toy business. The industry will truly suffer," he said in a statement. "The prospect of bringing the Toys 'R' Us experience to a new generation, my new grandson's generation, is enough to motivate me to Save Toys 'R' Us."

Toys "R" Us declined to comment.

(More in the link)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2018, 09:18 AM »
A nearly $900 million bid for the U.S. and Canadian stores?  It's an interesting prospect.  And it would be a tremendous loss to the toy industry to lose TRU.  I think that this question goes beyond TRU's current leadership and would lie with their ownership, Bain Capital and Blackrock, along with their lenders.  Do they think that bid is a better return on investment than the liquidation?

And another pertinent question is about the existing TRU real estate leases:  how many of those have already been auctioned off?  All of those factors, along with the return of KB Toys to the marketplace make things more complicated.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:19 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 23, 2018, 11:16 AM »
I took my daughter here this weekend...and guess what...shelves loaded with stuff and on sale for 10-15% off.  With that in mind, it brought the prices in line with the local Target and Walmart prices.  Again no wonder TRU is going under.

I will say most of the video games were gone AND I did see some SW stuff I hadn't seen before.  But that isn't really an issue being that I don't collect anymore.  I did try to find some Transformer stuff, but there wasn't even a section for them.  So my daughter walked around looking for the LOL surprise, Shopkins, and whatever else her age is doing and it was pointless.  I told her save her cash and we'll come back in a couple of weeks when they really put stuff on sale.

I couldn't believe the sale prices were so low when the store closings are less than a month away.  At least I thought I read the day was 22 May.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #189 on: April 23, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Same deal in Pittsburgh.  Very full shelves, and everything marked 10-15% off.  Unchanged from how it was the first weekend I went there.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 23, 2018, 12:08 PM »
Store by me that was in the first batch is totally closed now
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 23, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Same deal in Pittsburgh.  Very full shelves, and everything marked 10-15% off.  Unchanged from how it was the first weekend I went there.
Yet they pay people to stand by the road holding a sign that says up to 40% off.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:37 PM by Qui-Gon Jim »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2018, 06:40 AM »
Some liquidation, eh?  TRU corporate seems to recognize that the bargain hunters are primed to make a move, hence the smaller discounts on Star Wars.  I was fully expecting something like that.  I had seen something similar when some KMart stores were shutting down.  The markdown schedule was slow and steady as they tried to maximize their revenue from the clearances.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2018, 06:35 PM »
I haven’t set foot in one in a while.  TRU suffered bad with the current Star Wars trend on toys so I haven’t had a need to go.  With the 06-12 exclusives I was hitting them all the time.  Then the discounts they’d run now and then I’d go just for those.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2018, 10:47 PM »
Ours is stuck at the 10-15% off range too, but at least they are getting some new stuff. I picked up new Bandai as well as McFarlane figures this past week and was thankful for even the small discount as it was stuff I can't find anyplace else. If that was my last purchase I'm happy to have gone out with some gusto.  :)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy