Author Topic: Thunderstorms and a Camera/Camcorder  (Read 7008 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderstorms and a Camera/Camcorder
« Reply #30 on: August 6, 2004, 02:34 AM »
I'm back!  ;D  Nice thunderstorm.  8)

I heard the rumbling when I was replying to a thread & hey, I got sometime left then bang.   :o  

Right on top of us, the flood gates opened & here we go. I shut down the PC, & sat outside for awhile. Lots of lighting & thunder. So I figured I'll take a break & watch some TV, ha...I sat there a watched the special effects through the window.   ;D

There was one bolt of lightning that caught me off guard, what a flash & I said to Sherry that one is going to be loud & man was it ever. The townhouse just rocked, then another flash & this thunder was in the distance but loud again. I looked at Sherry & said, "St. Albert's been wiped off the map!".  :D  ;D

Simmered down now & just drizzling but we had some big weather warnings here & around the city. We have a big yard sale staring tommorw till Sunday so I hope the weather turns out good. Bloody mosquitoes are bad with all this rain & heat , there the size of B52's!  :o

A couple weeks back we had another good storm during the evening & my friend never shuts his PC off, well in the morning it was toast. The power supply was fried. He replaced it & still nothing so he took it in & his motherboard was fried too. $500. later... :-\

Nothing beats that little storm we had on Sunday in July. It woke me up & I heard the hail but I just rolled over. Well what a shock that storm was.

Adjusters assess storm damage to West Edmonton Mall

If It Ain't Flooding It's X-Mas

Oh My, So Close: Unreal Pictures

The storm just missed us by a few blocks!  :o  Damage to the city was pegged over $110 million. This was the Storm of the Century!

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 6, 2004, 07:00 AM »
Yeah, I heard about that storm. Man, that must have been frightening.

So, anyone else get in the way of a few Tornadic storms? We had two here about a month or two back. No tornados, but huge wall clouds. One south of the city, one on top of the city. It was rather interesting.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #32 on: August 6, 2004, 08:58 AM »
Holy hell Dale!  As sick as it may sound, I would have loved to have been there to witness a storm like that.  Glad to hear you survived the Canadian hurricane!  
dustrho

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2004, 10:03 PM »
Well we had another storm move through last night. Thunder boomer's & rain. We just had the wind in our neck of the woods but other places of the city, well they got soaked.

Just before the football game between Edmonton & Saskatchewan, Commonwealth Stadium got a big time rain fall. The picture in the paper today showed a few guys with large squeegee's cleaning the field.

I was at my parents today & they almost got flooded. The water was just pouring in the back yard & came within inches from the door. Luckily it stopped. They even had some marble sized hail.

The roads were a mess in there area, mud, leaves & crap all over the place & a few tree's had broken branches. Even a house in the city got hit by lightning!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2004, 10:34 PM »
This year has sucked for tstorms.  Too cold, no heat to build up.  Very sad. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2004, 11:21 PM »
Here in central Mass we have been hit hard this Summer with Boomers.  The worst I have ever seen or heard in my lifetime.  We had hail, flooding and a tornado sighted in town also.  The weather has been off all the US from the sounds of everybody here on the boards.  Wonder if if will make for a nasty winter ???

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2004, 11:31 PM »
Winter may come early, our grass & some leaves on the trees are starting to turning brown.   :'(

Forecast for the week is nothing but rain!  >:(

I just hope we get an indian summer.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2004, 12:37 AM »
Oddly enough, our leaves are already starting to turn brown and fall.

Very strange

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2004, 02:40 PM »
This is crazy. It's 8°C & pouring rain. Still no break for a few days.

My backpacking trip in the end of Sept might be in limbo, according to the trail conditons, restricted access is in affect. There are 4 of use going & they will only let groups of 6 & must hike in tight groups of six or more & some campgrounds are closed.

It's berry season so black & grizzly bears are roaming. 

May have to find an alternate route.  :-\

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2004, 03:01 PM »
Well Friday was the 5 year anniversary of my first true supercell. Pretty interesting that we had some storms this time too.

Currently, since the front has passed it's overcast and 69 degrees. I really love it when we get the wedge of cool air against the mountains. Makes for really nice days just to sit around.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 2, 2004, 09:27 AM »
Just noticed Brent said it was raining again. Around midnight last nite the sky opened up & what a show. Lots of lightning & boomers & man did it rain. The roads were just flooding with water. We still have another risk of a severe thunderstorm today.