Author Topic: The Mandalorian - Season 3 (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 5892 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: The Mandalorian - Season 3 (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2023, 05:06 PM »
I’d buy some of that if we were dealing with an amateur screenwriter who had no experience with an epic, episodic IP.  But it’s Jon Favreau.  Check out his IMDB for his writing credits.  His contributions to the MCU alone give him some foundation in mapping out a journey over the long haul.  And his right hand running the show as an EP is Dave Filoni. He has been at the right hand of George Lucas as the story of the Mandalorians was laid out in canon in the Clone Wars.  And it was built further - BY FILONI - as he was the show runner for Star Wars Rebels, where more of that story was told.  Oh, and they brought George onto the set on a regular basis.  But then WTF do I know?

Favreau's credentials are solid as a producer and director, but he doesn't have a lot of experience writing.  Even though his credentials are solid that doesn't mean the story this season is automatically good and everything he is involved with is automatically awesome. 

Filoni has no credentials outside of Star Wars.  He started as an animator and worked his way up.  I think he knows the Lucas/Joseph Campbell hero lore well, but I think his writing ability is waaayyy overrated.  While Rebels was solid, Resistance and BoBF were a complete mess.  Mandalorian, Clone Wars, and Bad Batch have all been uneven.

I'm not trying to bash those two or hold them responsible, and I'm sure there are bunches of other people helping with dialog, etc., but I don't feel like the story has held together this season very well.  Its still fun, but its certainly clunky.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2023, 06:13 PM »
The season-spanning story in season 3 has been the weakest yet. Also, the standalone stories have had baffligly poor structure.

That said, in outline form the season looks far better than the result. We got a whole lot of connective tissue in Episode 7, withheld from the viewer as a poor excuse for surprise and shocking developments. It's like the antithesis of Hitchcock's famous ticking bomb. Where we could have had rising tension in the viewers, instead we have a sudden surprise because the filmmaker withheld information. It would be like leaving out the scene where Tarkin blows up Alderaan so the viewer could be surprised that it is gone when our heroes arrive. It's a choice, bit I would argue a poor choice.

Again I liken the storytelling here to the old GIJoe cartoon, except they had dozens of episodes a season to meander wherever they wanted story-wise, and kept their season-long story development to a multiparter that reset the stakes at the beginning of the season. (And in full disclosure, I haven't watched that show since they originally sired, so this is some old anecdotal recollection. )

My biggest point of contention with the way the story unfolded this week was the reveal that Gideon was responsible for bombing Bo's castle. If this was what that mystery was set up to reveal, that was clunky beyond belief. Maybe if Din and Bo had discussed it since or been worried about figuring it out it would have been a good reveal, but as far as I can tell they forgot all about it. Or the writers did.

And to anyone championing well-crafted storytelling, please explain to me what happened to the 3 baby birds that were adopted by the covert. The tribe has moved twice since the adventure that culminated in their rescue, now living in a Cruiser in space. Are we waiting for the surprise scene where they fly in to the rescue fully grown? Because if that us the kind of dot-connecting you find to be quality, I have to disagree.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 06:16 PM by Muftak »

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2023, 06:52 PM »
And to anyone championing well-crafted storytelling, please explain to me what happened to the 3 baby birds that were adopted by the covert. The tribe has moved twice since the adventure that culminated in their rescue, now living in a Cruiser in space. Are we waiting for the surprise scene where they fly in to the rescue fully grown? Because if that us the kind of dot-connecting you find to be quality, I have to disagree.

They had something roughly baby bird sized roasting on the spit at the Nevarro feast.  I kind of wondered if that might be one or not.  ;D

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2023, 07:13 PM »
Quote from: Dave link=topic=25460.msg632748#msg632748
They had something roughly baby bird sized roasting on the spit at the Nevarro feast.  I kind of wondered if that might be one or not.  ;D

My son and I actually joked about that while watching it, we have been keeping our eyes peeled for those guys to show up again.

But no, I think that was supposed to be the Nevarro version of the attacking reptile bird creature that we saw in Season One when Grogu had to heal Karga.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2023, 11:49 AM »
At this point, I think they are building towards some version of Heir to the Empire.  I'm sure it will be another thing for the fan boys to have fits over.  While a great set of novels, I don't think direct adaptations would have made great movies.

From what we have seen in post Disney Star Wars media, we have several elements from the original Thrawn trilogy:  Wayland has been shown in Bad Batch, and there is an emphasis on cloning, the Client wanted Grogu for his blood for Pershings/Gideon's midichlorian cloning experiments, Thrawn is returning from points unknown (in the original EU Palpatine sent him to the unknown regions to identify a threat, in the Disney cannon he was removed to points unknown with Ezra in Rebels), former Imperials are being referred to as Warlords, much like in many of the early EU novels, Pelleaon shows up and his a Thrawn fan boy, Thrawn had Ruhk as an assassin/tracker/assistant in Rebels.

With the announcement of the Filoni movie pulling all his shows together, Heir is the logical choice.  We have seen two force sensitive adversaries for the Ahsoka series.  The male character could serve as a possible C'Baoth stand in.  I think Ahsoka may fill in a Mara Jade role, minus the love interest part.  Gideon will be a "rebel" Imperial presence for Thrawn to either bring in-line or destroy.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2023, 05:57 PM »
Also, they've basically turned Boba Fett into Tallon Karrde.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2023, 06:25 PM »
WHERE IS JORUS C'BOATH!

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 17, 2023, 07:36 PM »
If Boba Fett is Talon Karrde, then that would make Fennic Shand the new Mara Jade. And the Mods are Ghent the super slicer.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 17, 2023, 09:22 PM »
I wish I knew WTH you guys were talking about… :D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 17, 2023, 11:29 PM »
Butterfly in the sky
I can go twice as high
Take a look
It's in a book
A reading rainbow...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2023, 10:20 AM »
If Boba Fett is Talon Karrde, then that would make Fennic Shand the new Mara Jade. And the Mods are Ghent the super slicer.

And here I thought Ranzar Malk from season 1 was supposed to be Talon Karrde.  I’m so confused!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2023, 01:55 PM »
WHERE IS JORUS C'BOATH!

Ok, just spit-balling here but these could be the character changes for the Filloni/Favreau version of Heir to the Empire:

Luke's role will be played by Ahsoka

Tallon Karrde is taken by Boba Fett

Jorus C'Boath - The bearded guy in the Ahsoka trailer

Mara Jade - The blonde lightsaber wielder in the Ahsoka trailer

Wedge will now be Carson Teva

Still trying to figure out how Ezra, Sabine, Hera, Bo Katan, Din Djarin, Zeb and the others would fit in.  We're obviously not going to get an exact retelling of the books.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2023, 09:53 PM »
I wish I knew WTH you guys were talking about… :D

The OG post-ROTJ trilogy… Heir to the Empire. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 19, 2023, 11:00 PM »
Just finished.  This season was a bit of a dud to me, but it did finish strong!

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 20, 2023, 06:59 AM »
WHERE IS JORUS C'BOATH!

Apparently, after yesterday, it is Gideon.

I'm interested to see where this will go.  In the old EU, Wayland was where the Emperor set up his secret stash of weapons and technology, including what were called "Spartii" cloning cylinders - as a note anything related to the prequels and the Clone Wars were off limits to Star Wars authors at the time.  Said facility was guarded by a mad clone of Jorus C'Baoth.  We also ended up with a clone of Luke from his severed hand.  The crux was that the Emperor was trying to figure out how to make Force sensitive clones that weren't subject to madness.  The other major plot point was that Thrawn thought he needed a Force wielder in order to re-establish the Empire.

In the current continuity, we have the return of Thrawn from parts unknown.  When he was removed from the storyline, he was with Ezra.  Ezra had the upper hand it seemed.  In all these years, did Thrawn persuade Ezra to join his cause?  Did he somehow over power him?  Will he be used as a clone template?  We have two dark side Force wielders that we know little about at this time.  We also have Gideon, who may have been successful in creating a Force sensitive clone from a non-Force sensitive template.  My thought is that while Gideon prime may have bit the dust, I bet there is a surviving clone somewhere.  I don't see the actor going away quite yet.

Ahsoka is in a much different head space than where Luke was in Heir to the Empire.  I don't see how they can go with the "join me" plot with Ahsoka.  Luke was looking for anything from the Jedi's past, while Ahsoka is very aware of the dark side and evil intentions.  She certainly wouldn't entertain joining a Force sensitive Gideon unless there is going to be some sort of Gideon vs Thrawn battle.