Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 189723 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #1005 on: October 22, 2011, 02:49 PM »
I'm into mythology, so I'm enjoying it. It is weird, though. Pretty common theme I have noticed is that the antagonist is usually a rapist, and about half the time the dispute is incestuous.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: November 8, 2011, 05:26 PM »
I finished the Way of Kings. I loved it! It was extremely well written and will be a great series. It's highly recommended. While I was reading that, I had to stop reading "the Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. Now I'm back to that book again. I should be done pretty quickly. However the difference in prose between "The Way of Kings" and "The Lost Symbol" is like going from Shakespear to a term paper written by a community college student.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 15, 2011, 08:38 AM »
Finished:

and

Almost finished (on the last novella in the book, should be finished tonight):

Up next:

Reading snippets here and there:

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: November 30, 2011, 07:52 PM »
Now reading "Ready, Player One" by Ernest Cline.

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, READY PLAYER ONE is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut—part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera set in a universe where spell-slinging mages battle giant Japanese robots, entire planets are inspired by Blade Runner, and flying DeLoreans achieve light speed.

It’s the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune—and remarkable power—to whoever can unlock them.   

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday’s riddles are based in the pop culture he loved—that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday’s icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes’s oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt—among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life—and love—in the real world he’s always been so desperate to escape.

A world at stake.
A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 2, 2011, 10:48 PM »
a few minutes ago I have finished reading Le mythe de Sisyphe by Albert Camus
an essay about human condition reduced at absurd, the litterary creation as a problematic task,
where the author wants to renounce expressily to hope and avoid to search a sens for life.

He also reviewed authors like Malraux, Dostoievsky, the classic greeks, etc.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: December 7, 2011, 09:40 AM »
"Cela ne veut rien dire."

L'Etranger is one of my all-time favorite books. The Myth of Sisyphus I found a little less compelling, but interesting nonetheless.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 17, 2011, 05:24 PM »
"Lettres à un ami allemand" by Albert Camus

The 4 letters addressed to the nazi, in the first complete Italian edition with a prologue by the author.

How Camus planned the reconstruction of the identity of Europe after the 3rd Reich, also pinpointed that however he didn´t search any sense in life the unique sense must be men (human dignity, a north for heroism,
the reserve of the justice as a principle anove discussion, even nationalities)

As all are readers and adults, I wish to state that I am not pretending to say my reading is the unique, valid, or the ultimate academic one.

Cela ne veut rien dire? Non, Ça nous dit beaucoup! Bienvenues les décodifications des livres qui s´y donnent pour partager l´heritage de la littérature, surtout quand elle parle de l´histoire de la civilisation et ses héros.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 07:29 PM by EpicGon »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 28, 2011, 11:34 PM »
Now reading the short book "MirrorMask" by Neil Gaiman.

Helena is about to embark on a most amazing journey.

Raised in a family of circus performers, she's always dreamed of leading a more ordinary life. But when haunting music draws her into a strange and magical realm, one where anything can happen, her real life is stolen by a runaway from the other side. Helena must rescue the realm from chaos in order to win back her own not-so-ordinary life.

MirrorMask is a breathtaking film written by bestselling author Neil Gaiman and brought to life through the vision of acclaimed artist and director Dave McKean. This original novella is Helena's tale in her own voice, written by master storyteller Neil Gaiman and accompanied by original art by Dave McKean and images from the film; it is a stunning and magical journey.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 4, 2012, 02:56 PM »
Now reading "Howls Moving Castle" by Diana Jones.

Sophie has the great misfortune of being the eldest of three daughters, destined to fail miserably should she ever leave home to seek her fate. But when she unwittingly attracts the ire of the Witch of the Waste, Sophie finds herself under a horrid spell that transforms her into an old lady. Her only chance at breaking it lies in the ever-moving castle in the hills: the Wizard Howl's castle. To untangle the enchantment, Sophie must handle the heartless Howl, strike a bargain with a fire demon, and meet the Witch of the Waste head-on. Along the way, she discovers that there's far more to Howl—and herself—than first meets the eye.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 6, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Got a Nook Color at Christmas and blasted through all three Hunger Games last week.  With the movie approaching, I wonder if deserves its own thread?
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 6, 2012, 02:19 PM »
I guess as much as Twilight shound have it's own thread here.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1016 on: January 7, 2012, 12:34 AM »
I'm reading Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard.  I'm only about 10 chapters in, and they are covering the end of the Civil War.  I've read some about some of the major battles but the way they are able to put you into the last retreat of Genral Lee's Northern Virginia army as they try to escape to North Carolina is amazing!

Definitely worth a read.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 12, 2012, 11:07 AM »
Now reading "The Naked Sun" by Isaac Asimov.

A millennium into the future, two advancements have altered the course of human history:  the colonization of the Galaxy and the creation of the positronic brain.  On the beautiful Outer World planet of Solaria, a handful of human colonists lead a hermit-like existence, their every need attended to by their faithful robot servants.  To this strange and provocative planet comes Detective Elijah Baley, sent from the streets of New York with his positronic partner, the robot R. Daneel Olivaw, to solve an incredible murder that has rocked Solaria to its foundations.  The victim had been so reclusive that he appeared to his associates only through holographic projection.  Yet someone had gotten close enough to bludgeon him to death while robots looked on.  Now Baley and Olivaw are faced with two clear impossibilities:  Either the Solarian was killed by one of his robots--unthinkable under the laws of Robotics--or he was killed by the woman who loved him so much that she never came into his presence!

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 13, 2012, 12:22 PM »
Finishing this today:

And will have two weeks to read this before my next class starts:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 15, 2012, 09:44 PM »
I am also reading "Dinosaur Wars: Earthfall" by Thomas Hopp.

A U.S. space probe discovers a 65 million-year-old derelict outpost at the moon's south pole. Now the owners of the moonbase are returning to reclaim their home world-our world. In Montana, wildlife biologist Chase Armstrong and rancher's daughter Kit Daniels survive attacks by T-Rex and deadly Megaraptors to find that they are at ground-zero, where the invaders' lost city lies buried under a mountain of sandstone. Deep in the underground catacombs, trapped by human-sized, intelligent carnivorous dinosaurs, they may be mankind's last hope for survival. "Solid science and pacing that never quits."