Author Topic: Grilling and you-Charcoal, or Gas? What make?  (Read 4797 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Grilling and you-Charcoal, or Gas? What make?
« on: February 17, 2005, 12:25 PM »
If any of you are like me, the manlyest of men, you like to have food that has been killed, over an open flame. Thanks to some pure genius, man created the grill. I have a gas Charbroil that we got from Home Depot 2 years ago, and she still cooks like a dream.I need to replace the racks, and the burner cover, soon. It got up to 52 here on Tuesday night, so myself and P'Dubbs had a cookout, and I cooked a nice marinaded piece of Angus. Boy was it sweet. 8)

So how do you grill? Charcoal? Gas? What brand of grill do you swear by?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Grilling and you-Charcoal, or Gas? What make?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 12:53 PM »
52?  We'd be running around naked, never mind grilling. 

I prefer the flavour of charcoal, but it's not worth the grief and time.  So gas it is, Thermos by brand.  Second one we've owned and we'll not be buying another.  Thermos has been great, the first lasted nine years (two burners only :o) but I'm ready to put out the cash for a stainless steel job.  They tend to last longer, look nicer and experience at the condo in Hawaii shows they cook food better and more evenly.  Weber makes a darn fine grill  You tend to lose that flare up excitement, but the food tastes better. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 12:59 PM »
That flare up excitment? You mean when I lost half a dozen hamburgers at a party when I looked away to pour some beer on the brats? Give me no flare ups any day. The closest to a flar up this baby has given me is the damned metal flame cover...it started to rust in a spot, and aparently rust is flamable, so I had to cook on only one side.

Do you prefer to cook your meat frozen, or let it that? First, I take the frozen meat, brush it with vegitable oil, salt and pepper it, and then I marinade my  steaks in italian dressing. For parties I usualy do a few "Hell Fire Steaks" as they are called, some filet mingion (gotta be careful with the bacon), and some plain ones, as certain people around here dont like flavor. Go figure.

EDIT:

I'm looking forward to this Pepper Roaster

Kevin
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 01:08 PM by Famine »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 01:09 PM »
I have a Weber Gas Grill.  My parents had a charcoal one when I grew up, the time waiting for briquettes and stuff was enough for me to give up flavor for speed.

We grill at least 2-3 times a week in the summer.  Turkey Burgers, Brats, Hot Dogs, Steaks, Chicken, Veggies, Ribs, Duck, Venison etc etc etc

I love to grill...

This stuff, Jack Daniels BBQ Rub is the best stuff ever.  Rub down the meat the night before and let is soak in its juices and rub overnight, oh man, it really cannot be beat.  I have been told many, many times that those are the best steaks a person has ever ate, and I tend to agree with them :)

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 01:49 PM »
I look forward to the day where I get to taste your meat Scott, it sounds delicious.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 01:52 PM »
Now, if that Jack Daniels rub is anything at all like the BBQ sauce, then tell me where I can get some.

Right now!

Kevin

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 01:57 PM »
There's a pretty long waiting list (about as long as my driveway) of people waiting to get at my meat...so I'll let you know when you might be able to squeeze in a bite, Jamie

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 02:08 PM »
My mouth is watering just thinking about it  :o

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 02:08 PM »
Where do you buy your meat Scott?  I'm fortunate in that I know a couple of guys from one of the local steak chains (The Keg), so I get pretty darn nice quality meat from them at cost.  Grocery store steaks leave me pretty cold.  

As to Kevin's question, I tend to prefer most meat be thawed.  Fish especially since it tends to cook so quickly.  Chicken not so important and for me, steak can be frozen since I'm only really after medium rare anyway.  Not so for Mrs. Bug though, she's more a medium well - well done type, so it needs to be thawed to cook through.  Burgers we tend to make ourselves from lean ground beef.  It works pretty well to take a pound of frozen ground and nuke it one minute per side.  It retains some tackiness making the burgers stick well.  Completely thawed hamburger seems to fall apart too easily (at least if it's not store fresh and thawed in the nuker).  

Question: how much is ground turkey down south?  It's hideously expensive up here, around $7 a pound :o  I'd like to eat more of it, but I can usually pick up lean ground beef at about $1.69 a pound and that's a huge price difference.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 02:13 PM »
I think its around $3.50 a pound for the good stuff.  You can buy the cheap stuff but that's not so good.  Weird on the price though, MN is chock chock chock full of turkey farms though, not so in Manitoba?

As far as where, there' a local meat market we buy beef from, chicken and stuff is from the store.  Hot Dogs and Brats we get from my wife's home town where they makes lots and lots of Sausages.  I enjoy sausage as much as Jamie seems to, I just get bored with sausage sausage sausage

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 02:26 PM »
Me man, me make fire, cook meat.

We bought our house in April of last year.  I don't think I used my oven to cook meat until September.  I love cooking outside.  Drinking beer, grilling and chilling.

I have a propane grill.  Not a Weber, but pretty nice.  Plenty of grill space and a side burner, which come to think of it, I've nevered used.

I always cook my meat thawed.  I would prefer if it wasn't frozen at any point, but I don't have the time to go to the store a few times a week to get fresh meat.  So buy in bulk, then freeze.  Take out the night before to thaw and marinade.  Ready to go when I get home from work.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 03:10 PM »
No, turkey farms here are few and far between for some reason.  Lots of chickens, not so much on turkey, which is too bad, I really enjoy turkey, ground or breast. 

I think there's some additional costs here due to lots of regulation and inspections, something lacking in the US meat system I believe.  I still don't think it should cause the price to double though.  Guess next time I'm in Grand Forks I'll have to take a cooler and pick up some ground turkey.  If I'm allowed to that is. 

BTW, in an odd twist of logic, the US mail system is more restrictive than the Canadian mail system.  As of a couple of months ago, we can no longer mail any food items to the US (liquor was always a no-no due to flammability issues :P).  USPS has mandated, I think via homeland security that food is an at risk item for terrorism :o ::)  So if I declare food and it's not turned back immediately by the post office and the USPS picks up on it, it is returned to sender.  Anything - chocolate bars, chips, you name it.  Wacky, eh?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 03:34 PM »
Now, if that Jack Daniels rub is anything at all like the BBQ sauce, then tell me where I can get some.

Right now!

Kevin
I found some in an airport in Alabama about 5 years ago.  I haven't been back there since then so I had to order it on-line.  I can't recommend it enough!
http://www.cookscorner.net/SpecialtyFood/Lynchburg.html

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 03:58 PM »
Thank you Scott. Much love.

Have you ever tried Brooks Bar-B-Q sauce? It's the best Bar-B-Q sauce I've had in my life, ever.

I tried one of Emerils rubs, and I was a fan. I think I still have the little container somewhere.

Found it, and aparently we got it at the Christmas Tree Shop. It's called Emeril's  Steak Rub conviniently, and it cost $3.99 for a 7 ounce container. It's got Salt, Black Pepper, Gaaaaahlic (garlic), Onion, Crushed Red Pepper, Coriander, Dill Seed and Other Spices.

They have a little bite to them, so if your not a fan of spicey, dont give this one a try.

I cant stand turkey burgers. I dont like ground anything that is not beef.

Kevin