Author Topic: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 7  (Read 45952 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 7
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2015, 01:41 AM »
Got my Wv7 figs...  Some thoughts on them:

-Capt. Rex is maybe my biggest disappointment.  The paint apps are the most numerous, but some of them are so-so at best, and I guess I just really had hoped for a little more umph from his as a figure.  I would really have appreciated a removable helmet since Rex spends like 50% of his time with his helmet off anytime you see him on screen.  It's a major plus they could've added.

-Commander Doom...  I barely remember who he is, actually, so his getting a realistic figure before a Phase I Cody kinda irks me.  That said, he's probably far more interesting in my hands than I thought he was in pictures.  No clue why, I just find him kinda cool looking and his deco surely stands out on the clone shelf.  I dig it, and am glad to add him to my army.

-Commander Wolffe...  He's short, but he's easily the best of the bunch.  He's rocking the heavy duty articulation, and he's got the cloth Kama which is also multi-colored.  He's got the most interesting armor and features just a lot of nice detailing in the sculpt.  Top to bottom he's my favorite.

Regarding the scale issues, I recall people bitching all 3 were off, but actually Rex/Doom are quite fine together.  Not sure what these scale comparisons were using figure-wise, but my Rex and Doom look pretty spot-on to each other.  Wolffe is REALLY short compared to them...  And yeah that blows, but I think it's not the biggest gaffe they've made.  Compare the K-Mart AT-ST Driver to just about any Imperial figure you own, and you'll see this happens sometimes.

And to that point, Doom/Rex are a tad taller than a lot of figures too, so them compared to Wolffe is pretty glaring, but compared to other figures in the line, Wolffe sometimes fits in better, and sometimes Rex/Doom fit in better.  It's weird.

And of course $13/figure blows...  Kind of a dead horse at this point.

So my big gripe?  Rex doesn't have a removable bucket.  I really would love to see that.  And I'd love to see a Phase I Rex because Phase II is meh.  Phase I Rex/Cody and a realistic young Ahsoka, would all be great to see at some point.

I'm looking forward to Wave 8 though.  Clones just don't get me jonesin' like I used to.  I'm anxious for some OT goodness, especially a Han update I've been wanting for what seems like eons.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2015, 11:12 AM »
I just opened this set myself last night. This is one of the few times that I've ever actually been down on a release wave and as I studied the figures, moved all their joints and such, I realized why: Half of the figures use out of scale parts within themselves. For example, Rex's head is just too small as is Wolf's and his torso. Vader's head is too big and awkward. I think that right there is what makes this wave a disappointment.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2015, 02:12 PM »
I'd agree with that, though I think Wolffe's head is probably relatively proportional to his body.

Rex's helmet is definitely on the small side.  Then again everyone seemed to bitch about removable helmets being too large, sooooo?  I dunno.  I'd take a removable helmet any day, and let the people who complain about it just deal with it, but that's just me.  I consider that a bigger flaw since Rex really is more than a regular Clone, and spends so much time helmetless.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2015, 02:55 PM »
I was thinking about picking up a second Rex to make a 'removable helmet' version using an old clone head sculpt and helmet. 

Then I remembered that these figures are hard to find at a retail store and cost $13 each.  Plan abandoned.   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2015, 07:25 PM »
I actually saw Rex at retail, along with Dagobah Vader, and passed them up. Those were first new figures I've seen since 2014.  If I have the character in some form, at $13 I'll pass.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2015, 11:47 PM »
I'm definitely pickier on the "do I buy a 2nd to customize?" debate in my mind these days.

I'm not hesitating on Carbo Han though, or even Mosep, but mostly on the latter one for casting library purposes.

There would be a lot need to go into Rex for a removable helmet, or that's how I feel anyway.  The head is so unique with his haircut...  It'd take a bit in my mind.  I want to do one too, and a Phase I version.

I wish they still dolled out figures like the "Clone Commander" from TVC...  THAT was how all Clones should be done. :)

Offline Phenotype

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2015, 04:45 PM »
I actually saw the wave at Target and they were priced at $15.50 a piece. Couldn't bring myself to pay that much. Guess I'm done collecting SW figures...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2015, 02:55 PM »
These have been trickling into our local Target as well, and I've picked up a few.  I have to say though, I did feel a little bit of buyer's remorse.  $13 really does seem like a lot for these figures.  I know its been said on here before, but I guess I haven't really picked much up since the most recent price increases.  I passed on the clones (although I was tempted with Doom just because of the Marvel tie), but picked up Gold Leader, Chewie, and Dagobah Vader.  I'd like to get Rex as well, if/when he shows up.  I know we still have no idea what type of figures we'll see for the new movie(s), but I hope they can find a happy medium because I just don't think I can keep up at $13 each.