Author Topic: Batman - The Dark Knight  (Read 45733 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Batman - The Dark Knight
« Reply #225 on: August 3, 2008, 07:27 PM »
'Dark Knight' No. 1 again, nears $400 million mark

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Even an army of the undead could not dislodge Batman from his box-office perch.

The Batman blockbuster "The Dark Knight" hauled in $43.8 million to rank as Hollywood's top movie for the third-straight weekend, fending off "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor," which opened a close second with $42.5 million.

"The Dark Knight" has soared to a $394.9 million haul in just 17 days, according to studio estimates Sunday. The Warner Bros. release should sail past the $400 million mark by Monday or Tuesday, said Dan Fellman, head of distribution for Warner.

That would be on the film's 18th or 19th day of release, another record for "The Dark Knight," which had an all-time high opening weekend of $158.4 million. The previous $400 million record-holder was "Shrek 2," which hit that mark in 43 days.

"It's a film that is just rewriting the record books every day and redefining our notions of what a blockbuster can be," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers.

"The Dark Knight" will top $500 million, predicted Fellman, who would not speculate on whether it could approach the all-time domestic revenue record of "Titanic" at $600.8 million.

Even if it edged past that mark, "The Dark Knight" would lag behind "Titanic" in terms of actual tickets sold. Admission prices are up more than 50 percent since "Titanic" came out in 1997, according to Media By Numbers. "The Dark Knight" would have to take in about $900 million to match the number of tickets that "Titanic" sold.

In terms of revenue alone, however, "The Dark Knight" will pass the original "Star Wars," which is No. 2 behind "Titanic" with $461 million, and such hits as "Shrek 2" ($436.5 million), "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial" ($434.9 million) and "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace" ($431.1 million).

Early anticipation over Heath Ledger's diabolical performance as Batman foe the Joker built to a frenzy in the months after the actor's death from an accidental prescription drug overdose in January.

A huge opening weekend was guaranteed, but the movie has sustained its audience from stellar reviews and audience buzz.

"The movie has grown in terms of its base audience from primarily what was conceived as a young male movie to a movie for everybody, from 8 to 80," Fellman said. "They're going to see it because of the reviews, they're going to see it because of the word of mouth. They're going just to see what it's all about, and they all like it."

"The Dark Knight" also has taken in $202.5 million overseas, opening in six more markets in August, among them Japan, France and Russia.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 4, 2008, 11:29 AM »
Finally got to the theater last week to see Dark Knight.  Really thought Ledger was fantastic in the role and agree with others that his performance is the pinnacle Joker.  Don't see anyone else wanting to take on the role in any upcoming movies.  When he said, 'I can see us doing this for a long time' at the end, I kind of cringed because I would have really liked to see more if him in the future.

I also really like the way TDK and BB were shot in terms of being more realistic rather than comic-book like the first four movies.  I hope that they continue this trend with any upcoming movies that are in the works, especially since they used Chicago for the first two.

I can see myself seeing this again in the theater before it's gone.  There was a lot to take in during the 160 minutes...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 4, 2008, 02:51 PM »
Maybe they can put Ledger in the next Batman. They could film another actor and digitially put Ledger's Joker face on the actor. They did this to finished the Crow when Brandon Lee died during filming.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #228 on: August 4, 2008, 02:58 PM »
That would be ridiculously expensive to do for a feature-length film, plus they'd need someone to voice the whole thing.  If the Joker is in the next one, he'll be played by another actor.  It's as simple as that.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 4, 2008, 02:59 PM »
I know they did that for non-speaking parts and very quick flashes of his face, but I don't see them being able to do this if they expect the Joker to interact with other actors...  The only other thing I could think of is they make his face CG and get someone else to do the voice...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 4, 2008, 04:44 PM »
 The only other thing I could think of is they make his face CG and get someone else to do the voice...

Isn't that what I suggested? I don't see it being any more expense to do considering all the other cg they put in movies these days. I see it costing less than a top paid actor salary for the entire movie.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #231 on: August 4, 2008, 05:04 PM »
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Please do not even joke with such craziness as CG crap !!!

Leave the man's perfect performance of this evil villian just that... perfect...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 4, 2008, 05:06 PM »
This could beat out Star Wars. What do you think of that?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #233 on: August 4, 2008, 05:16 PM »
More power to it. Much like Star Wars, it's a great movie despite its flaws.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 4, 2008, 11:25 PM »
This could beat out Star Wars. What do you think of that?

Eh.  With the way ticket prices go up, total gross isn't as impressive as some make it out to be.  TDK is doing awesome and it deserves every cent it's going to make, but it will never sell more tickets than ANH did.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #235 on: August 5, 2008, 07:27 AM »
When adjusted for inflation, Star Wars made 1.26 BILLION DOLLARS in US theathers.  #2 only to Gone with the Wind.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 5, 2008, 08:17 AM »
When adjusted for inflation, Star Wars made 1.26 BILLION DOLLARS in US theathers.  #2 only to Gone with the Wind.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Yup ... my point exactly.  Of course all records should be based on tickets sold, but it's not as impressive as quoting actual dollar amounts.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 5, 2008, 04:57 PM »
'Dark Knight' sets another record

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Add another entry for "The Dark Knight" in Hollywood's record books: The Batman sequel has climbed past $400 million at the box office in just 18 days, the fastest pace ever, a studio executive said Tuesday.

As of Monday, "The Dark Knight" had taken in $400.04 million domestically, according to distributor Warner Bros.

Jeff Goldstein, general sales manager for Warner, said the film hit that mark in less than half the time it took for the previous record-holder, "Shrek 2," which crossed the $400 million level on its 43rd day of release.

That put "The Dark Knight" at No. 8 on the all-time box-office charts. It was poised to move up to No. 7 on Tuesday, passing the $403.7 million haul of the original "Spider-Man" to become the top-grossing comic-book adaptation ever.

Warner expects the film to pass the original "Star Wars" ($461 million) in about two weeks, making it No. 2 on the all-time domestic list behind "Titanic" ($600.8 million).

Even as "The Dark Knight" heads toward the $500 million mark, it will lag behind "Titanic" and "Star Wars" in terms of the number of tickets sold because admission prices are higher now. In today's dollars, the Batman film would have to take in about $900 million to match the number of tickets that "Titanic" sold.

"The Dark Knight" has earned wild acclaim from critics and fans, particularly for Heath Ledger's maniacal delivery as Batman enemy the Joker. Buzz for his role and the film reached a fever in the months after Ledger's death in January from an accidental prescription drug overdose.

The movie had a record opening weekend of $158.4 million.

"There's no question Heath Ledger's performance has made cinematic history. It's one of the most important or memorable villains ever," Goldstein said. "That added to it, but I think you have to look at a film in its entirety. It's the marvelous job the filmmakers and the actors did."

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 5, 2008, 05:34 PM »
I predict that The Dark Knight will not only remain in first run theaters until Batman 3: Arkham Unleashed hits cinemas in 2010, but even then, it will only drop to #2 at the box office.

Take it to the bank, everyone.  TDK will earn well over $567,890,0021,234 during its theatrical run.

And that's just domestic.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #239 on: August 6, 2008, 10:12 AM »
I liked it, But not THAT much.
I never really liked DC comics. I love Marvel, and I think IM, and the spiderman movies were better than this. Even though Ledger's performance was outstanding.

Just wait till the Avenger Movie, That'll knock the next batman away.