Author Topic: Indiana Jones 4 - The Movie  (Read 84873 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Indiana Jones 4 - The Movie
« Reply #330 on: September 10, 2007, 10:34 PM »
Marcus wasn't established much in Raiders though to NOT have him be a bumbling dolt

Raiders Marcus said of the Ark, "Five years ago, I would have gone after it myself."  Just from that one line you know that he's had his share of adventures, too.

Crusade Marcus, on the other hand, doesn't know his way around Abu Dhabi or wherever the **** it was, and makes all kinds of goofy jokes and nearly falls off his horse at the end.

He might as well have been a completely new character, 'cause he was "Marcus Brody" in name only.

I didn't think Sallah was turned into anything bad really either.

Nothing as horrible as what Marcus was turned into, but still he seemed like a bit of a clown compared to Raiders Sallah.

I have to agree.  When I saw Last Crusade, I totally wondered why suddenly Marcus and Sallah had become C-3PO and R2-D2.

If you look back at the movie, there are times when they share almost the same dialogue... example:

Marcus - "Oh, Sallahl What a relief!" (IJ Last Crusade)

I think they even made a joke about Marcus getting lost in his own museum once...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:41 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #331 on: September 10, 2007, 10:50 PM »
I mean, look at this piece of fan-art and tell me that isn't the badassest thing ever: http://www.theraider.net/community/museum/gallery/indy4_art/damien_may_01.jpg

that isn't the badassest thing ever.

Just to clarify, I was referring to Indy in the beard and hat, not the fanart as a whole (which is at least decent). You're free to disagree of course, I just want to make sure we're on the same page of what we're disagreeing about....
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 10, 2007, 11:25 PM »
I liked Crusade for the most part, but yeah the Marcus character change was kind of odd.  I was still laughing in the theatre at it though.  So, it did not ruin it for me.  I did not care for Elsa that much though.  Other than the eye candy factor being a teen at that time. 

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 11, 2007, 06:01 PM »
Crusade's my favorite. I personally like the goofy Marcus. I see no difference in Sallah.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 12, 2007, 02:04 AM »
I see no difference in Sallah.

Yeah, but exactly what are they going to do with Sallah?  With Pavarotti dead, who will play the role of Sallah?

???
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #335 on: September 12, 2007, 03:12 AM »
Yeah, see I didn't really see Sallah as being too much different overall...  He cracked some funny lines here and there, but he seemed about the same overall.  He, like Brody (IMO) didn't get established much in Raiders for his TLC persona to be far off the mark...

Marcus, I guess I can see...  I was thinking of that line about going after the Ark as probably what made you guys dislike the TLC Marcus, but at the same time his saying "I'd have gone after it" doesn't necessarilly mark him as an adventurer like Indiana either...  Marcus struck me as more a conservative kind of guy like Indy's father actually, in Raiders.  Other than that one line of course about wanting to go after the Ark himself...  But one could also take that as nothing more than excitement overtaking him.

Indy's crack about him getting lost in his own museum, I personally thought that was hysterical and transferred to the next scene where he was wandering around that middle-east city lost looking for Sallah.  I guess I just didn't really look at Marcus as a competent adventurer, and more the "study and examination" type of archeologist like Indy's old man was... 

To me, then, the way that Marcus and Indy's father were both thrust into Indy's world of ass kicking and Nazi killing was funny and worked.

The one thing I'll agree on though, is the part at the end with Marcus and the horse.  THAT was dumb.  Otherwise I loved TLC.  That and Raiders are by far my favorites above Temple.  Temple's cool, but lacked something (I think it's some of these recurring characters) to me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 13, 2007, 07:26 PM »
I see no difference in Sallah.

Yeah, but exactly what are they going to do with Sallah?  With Pavarotti dead, who will play the role of Sallah?

???
What? Sallah wa splayed by John-Rhyse Davies who's stiil alive. He hasn't been asked to appear...yet. I hope he (& Connery) have cameos. or atleast mentions or "voice cameos".

I love the part with Brody. One of the best in LC, which is my 2nd favorite movie ever.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #337 on: September 13, 2007, 08:00 PM »
Another lame title from the King of Lame Titles, Mr. Lucas, though I guess Spielberg must've agreed to it, so he shares some of the blame.  Shia's announcement sure got a seriously underwhelming response from the VMA crowd though, almost as if they didn't even know what the Raiders franchise was (not surprising, since it's older than most of the folks that were present there).  I'm just glad Spielberg's on board, so as to keep Lucas's goofy and childish film antics and shenanigans to a minimum (hopefully).  Though as MB's pointed out, they were certainly more prevelant in Last Crusade.

I was really excited to hear that Karen Allen was making a return to the series though.  God, I was in love with her when I was a kid.  Fingers crossed that the 78 year-old Harrison Ford can pull off a convincingly cool and tough Indy still.  Toes crossed that his annorexic girl friend doesn't make a ridiculous cameo somewhere.

What? Sallah was played by John-Rhyse Davies who's stiil alive. He hasn't been asked to appear...yet.

;D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 08:00 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #338 on: September 13, 2007, 10:28 PM »
I think Harrison can handle the acting...just like Paul Newman, Clint Eastwood and Jack can, its the action sequences that will have me going WTF

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #339 on: September 14, 2007, 01:15 AM »
Really though, does Ford LOOK old to you guys?  I mean...  I dunno how you guys are holding up lately, but I can only dream I look half as decent as he does when I'm that age.  I mean, the guy looks to me like he did for Last Crusade with just a little greyer hair.

Toes crossed that his annorexic girl friend doesn't make a ridiculous cameo somewhere.

Maybe there's a role up for extra petrified corpses in some tomb scene?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #340 on: September 15, 2007, 04:20 PM »
Quote from: Jesse James link=topic=939.msg322296#msg322296 .

[quote
Toes crossed that his annorexic girl friend doesn't make a ridiculous cameo somewhere.

Maybe there's a role up for extra petrified corpses in some tomb scene?
[/quote]

rofl

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 18, 2007, 12:04 PM »
SPOILERS SPOILERS

I wasn't going to read it but I couldn't control myself. :-[

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #342 on: September 27, 2007, 11:48 AM »
SPOILERS SPOILERS

I wasn't going to read it but I couldn't control myself. :-[

And that link is no longer active, which may be related to this story:

September 25, 2007 -- A BIG-mouthed extra working on the new "Indiana Jones" flick has blown his fledgling movie career to smithereens by spilling the film's major plot points.

Director Steven Spielberg and producer George Lucas made the entire cast and crew of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" sign nondisclosure agreements. But Tyler Nelson - cast as a "dancing Russian soldier" - gave an interview to his hometown newspaper, the Edmond Sun in Oklahoma, in which he revealed that. . .

Rest of article:  'INDIANA' BLABBER FACES DOOM (DEFINITE SPOILERS CONTAINED IN THIS ARTICLE - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK)

What's awesome is that the Edmond Sun is my hometown newspaper, too--my family took that newspaper for years.  It's a cheap, tiny little paper and I'm sure Tyler Nelson thought it was so off-the-radar that he could tell them whatever he wanted.  Well, he's an idiot, and so are they, for printing it.

EDIT:  This is the original article, from the Edmond Sun website, by way of Google Cache.  The article has since been removed from their website.  The same spoiler warnings apply.

New Indiana Jones film has Edmond actor
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 03:09 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 27, 2007, 06:12 PM »
Yeah, that be the one.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 28, 2007, 04:46 PM »
More news from aintitcool.com but be warned, Spoliers!

Wanna Know What Indiana Jones Is Doing This Week?!