Author Topic: SDCC 2019 TVC Special Action Figure Set - Luke Skywalkers  (Read 38423 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: SDCC 2019 TVC Special Action Figure Set - Luke Skywalkers
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2019, 11:00 AM »
In my opinion its the least interesting of the three exclusives.  Its fairly expensive and you've already got versions of all of these, so I can see how only the more hardcore collectors are going for this  set.  I know I was on the fence about spending the cash on this one whereas the other two were easier choices.

Yeah, I see some folks reading into the slower sell rate of the Luke set and coming back with "3.75 is dead" or whatever, but I think it's what Dave and others said.  A $50 set of Luke figures that you probably already have some version of isn't going to be the same draw as new versions of popular Boba Fett or the all-new Sith Trooper, both of which cost less.

I personally thought that the X-wing pilot version might have been gratuitous (did this figure really need to be done?), but I get the general theme of each figure - Rebel (Stormtrooper disguise), pilot (X-wing flightsuit) and Jedi (Jabba's palace outfit).

There was logic to Hasbro's choices for this set - X-Wing Luke matches up to the soon-to-be-released TVC X-Wing this Fall; Jabba Palace Luke was picked because of the recent focus on ROTJ with the Jabba playset, Sail Barge, and Skiff; and the Stormtrooper Luke was designed as a companion to the recent TVC Stormtrooper Han, which would both be nice to have out in circulation for... um, reasons.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2019, 09:34 PM »
I think it says something to the narrative that TVC and OT is where it’s at though...

I love 3.75” so I’m happy with what we get as meager an offering as it is every year, but I think 6” is definitely taking off and it’s just a sign of the times.  Don’t think TVC is dead and Hasbro sees $ there, but I don’t think it’s the gold mine the other side wants to make it out to be.  I think it’s priced out of that territory now, to be honest.  I feel like $9.99 it maybe would be but where it is now it’s more and more creeping into premium.  That narrows down the audience for it further than it already was.

I love the 3-pack though and people are missing out if they’re skipping it.  I wish we got more like this. 😕
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:10 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2019, 11:13 PM »
Like this Luke 3pk a lot.  Ordered 2 yesterday.  Had one already thanks to Lance Quazar who got me a set at SDCC.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2019, 06:27 AM »

I personally thought that the X-wing pilot version might have been gratuitous (did this figure really need to be done?), but I get the general theme of each figure - Rebel (Stormtrooper disguise), pilot (X-wing flightsuit) and Jedi (Jabba's palace outfit).

There was logic to Hasbro's choices for this set - X-Wing Luke matches up to the soon-to-be-released TVC X-Wing this Fall; Jabba Palace Luke was picked because of the recent focus on ROTJ with the Jabba playset, Sail Barge, and Skiff; and the Stormtrooper Luke was designed as a companion to the recent TVC Stormtrooper Han, which would both be nice to have out in circulation for... um, reasons.

I get where you're coming from on the Pilot Luke, Jeff.  But the fact that Hasbro also slotted a single carded X-wing pilot Luke into the first TROS wave of The Vintage Collection makes that figure available there, too.  That redundancy is a picking point, albeit a minor one.

Given the progress we've seen in these new Luke head sculpts and paint apps?  I would like to see Hasbro finally get Bespin duel Luke Skywalker right.  And while I know that figure has been covered in both the VTAC and TVC lines, there's one way they could differentiate this figure from previous releases:  go with this vintage cardback imagery.  But if they had done Bespin Luke in the 3-pack?  That wouldn't be as much of a thing...

But back to the 3-pack?  I got a shipping notification that mine should be arriving tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 06:46 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2019, 10:08 AM »
I'd like another Bespin Luke and have him come with a removable hand and the tourniquet accessory.

I kind of need that for my Falcon display.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2019, 05:47 PM »
We really need two Bespin Lukes:

1. "I'm not afraid and I'm ready to take on the whole Empire myself" clean Luke

2. "Holy **** Vader just ****** me the hell up physically and mentally please save me" damaged Luke
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2019, 06:04 PM »
Yeah you really can’t have a Luke for All Seasons for Bespin.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 9, 2019, 12:13 PM »
So this thing is still in stock huh?  I didn't see that one coming...