Author Topic: Recent Clone Wars Finds/Purchases  (Read 338871 times)

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
Re: Recent Clone Wars Finds/Purchases
« Reply #885 on: April 4, 2012, 11:02 PM »
Wave 2 of CW found in Australia,grabbed Phase II Rex and the Aayla for a trade.

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #886 on: April 5, 2012, 12:27 AM »
The YW Scout Report was here, McMetal.  Nobody else has mentioned finding it except our report on it, and yours now.  Either nobody cares to report it or it's been largely isolated.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 7, 2012, 02:44 AM »
I finally found a Y-Wing Scout Bomber today at a TRU in the greater NYC area today.  Very happy to pay retail for this, since it was going for at least $40 from the scalpers on eBay.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 7, 2012, 07:21 AM »
That's awesome, Nick! Definitely not an isolated occurrence then.

I made a few late night Walmart runs last night in the hopes of finding some of the new Class I sets but nada.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 18, 2012, 05:52 PM »
Got my MIB and opener sets of the Attack Recon Fighter and Republic Assault Submarine today.

Both are GREAT sets, it's just too bad that these probably won't ever be actually seen at retail, thanks to the stupid move of repacking 1999 toys at 2012 prices.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 18, 2012, 10:02 PM »
Got my MIB and opener sets of the Attack Recon Fighter and Republic Assault Submarine today.

Both are GREAT sets, it's just too bad that these probably won't ever be actually seen at retail, thanks to the stupid move of repacking 1999 toys at 2012 prices.

So did you end up ordering them online? Apparently these were only spotted in Texas and one random Walmart in Atlanta.  ::) I kept waiting for the eventual spread of other sightings but they never came.

I have a feeling I am never going to see these things either.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 19, 2012, 07:15 AM »
So did you end up ordering them online? Apparently these were only spotted in Texas and one random Walmart in Atlanta.  ::) I kept waiting for the eventual spread of other sightings but they never came.

I have a feeling I am never going to see these things either.

Yes, I ordered them from Target.com over this past weekend. The Attack Recon Fighter is still in stock, but the Submarine set sold out pretty quick.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 20, 2012, 08:56 AM »
Yes, I ordered them from Target.com over this past weekend. The Attack Recon Fighter is still in stock, but the Submarine set sold out pretty quick.

Thanks Pete, I checked last night and it looks like both of these are back in stock now. How badly did they rape you on shipping? I don't like sites that don't disclose that up front. I don't have the time or inclination to create an account there just to see how much they plan to gouge me on shipping.

I also noticed they have some sweet ass role play items they are not selling in stores for some inexplicable reason. I would buy Anakin's gauntlet and Pre Vizsla's Vorpal Sword in a heartbeat for $15 each if I ever saw them. More money left on the table...

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 20, 2012, 01:52 PM »
Shipping wasn't too bad - like $6 plus tax, so the total came to around $42 shipped (I had to break up my orders due to availability). Not great, but not bad to ensure that I got these since I have no hope of finding them at retail.

I just checked again and while the Anakin set is in stock, it doesn't seem that Sub set is - hopefully you went ahead and ordered while it was in stock.

I'll have to keep checking to see if they put it back in stock over the weekend - I want at least four more of the Scuba Clone set...
Peter

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 25, 2012, 11:15 PM »
Well, since I can't find any new Clone Wars toys anymore, I have to find new ways to spend money and enhance my collection. I finally found an English language version of one of the Euro-only Clone Wars 3-packs, Set 3 of 3 with Rex, Anakin, and Cad Bane.

Had to order it from the UK, and it arrived today in a box - no bubblewrap, no peanuts, no balled up newspapers, just a box in a box. From England! Luckily the thing was still in good shape, but yikes.

I am also about to pull the trigger on Set 1 of 3, with Yoda, Thire and the Destroyer Droid. Just waiting on some Paypal $$$ to come through. I have literally never seen the second set with Cody, Obi-Wan or Grievous come up on eBay. Which is weird because I know these were pretty prevalent in Canada as well.

The tricky thing though is finding the English language versions. Most of the ones that come up on eBay are the multilingual versions which look much more cluttered and visually unappealing, IMO. It's been tough to track down the ones that are only in English.

These are all straight repacks of previous figures of course, but kind of a cool niche addition to my collection.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 27, 2012, 08:34 AM »
I got my Clone Wars 2012 Wave 3 case - which as luck would have it includes all four of the Wave 2 figures carried forward, so it was actually a semi-decent case to purchase online, especially since I hadn't yet picked up some of the older-repack figures for the MOC collection yet.

I always open at least two of every Clone Wars figure, but with the way distribution has been, if I find more in the wild, great, if not, well, at least I have one open and one MOC of each of the "new" Clone Wars figures from 2012, plus MOC versions of all of the 2012 CW re-packs.

Anyway, now that I've had a chance to open them all, I gotta say, I'm REALLY disappointed in many of these figures. The Wolfe and Rex figures could have VERY easily just used the same legs from either the Jetpack Rex or Jetpack Cody releases since the rest of those figures borrow from a lot of other previous Clone figure parts for the rest of their bodies, I just don't see what tooling up new, unarticulated legs really saved Hasbro here.

For the entirely new sculpts, the Ahsoka is probably the biggest disappointment, the lack of knees or ankle articulation means that you can't put her in a "swimming" pose at all and well, she's a figure that's meant to be "in the water", but all you can really do with her is stand her up and make it look like she's standing on the ground waiting to go scuba-diving.

And I still just don't get the 2012 versions of Anakin and Obi-Wan - is this what they said: "We're gonna give them better head sculpts, but take away wrist and ankle joints to save money"? Again, it just doesn't make sense to me - they already had nicely articulated bodies, if you wanted to take another crack at the headsculpts, just make new headsculpts for those bodies. Wouldn't that save you money?

The most obvious thing that the de-articulation of the figures, and train-wrecks like the new Movie Heroes sculpt stuff shows me is that Hasbro, in order to support both Avengers and GI Joe: Retalliation, have most likely moved everything except the Vintage Star Wars line to their B-Game factory or sub-contracted a new factory, where the cost of having, for example a leg that is comprised of 3+ parts and having those distinct parts painted and assembled far exceeds the tooling costs of just making a new 1-piece leg. I find this hard to believe, but with more-and-more of China's labor force waking up to the fact that they are essentially treated like slaves, I guess it was only a matter of time.

The REALLY crazy thing about all of this it's not like Hasbro kept the figure prices the same. In fact, they raised them all a $1 this year, so if the prices had stayed $8/figure and the articulation dropped, I would sorta be okay with that, but to raise the prices AND lower the quality, just says "hey, we know you Star Wars morons are gonna buy this **** anyway, Darryl DeRetard wants a new Lexus" - and I point the finger still at DDR because everything we're seeing now was planned on his watch, so I ultimately hope that during this year, while the Movie Heroes and Clone Wars lines languish on the pegs and the only problem with the Vintage line is the LACK OF PRODUCT on the pegs, that the new brand manager takes note and realizes that focusing on the Vintage line is the way to go, and to help manage the overall costs of that line, perfectly great sculpts ALREADY exist that can merely just be put out on a Vintage Cardback - especially when it comes to figures that could be released in support of Attack of the Clones.
Peter

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #896 on: April 27, 2012, 09:54 AM »
I point the finger still at DDR because everything we're seeing now was planned on his watch

Jeff Labovitz started transitioning to his new job in May 2010.  The way I understand it, Derryl continued guiding the line through 2010 as the 2011 product was planned and the stuff we are seeing now (2012 product) was all pretty much devised/designed with Labovitz in the lead as Global Marketing Guy for SW.

I see a lot of people saying, "I hope the new guy learns from DDP's mistakes" but the reality is a lot of the current "mistakes" are probably already the work of the new guy.  :-X
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:57 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 27, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Wasn't he in charge of the GI JOE line prior to taking over Star Wars?

I gather there has been a lot of similar frustration with that line the past few years.

I wonder if he will accept a LinkedIn invite from me? I have a lot of thoughts to share...

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 27, 2012, 01:30 PM »
I see a lot of people saying, "I hope the new guy learns from DDP's mistakes" but the reality is a lot of the current "mistakes" are probably already the work of the new guy.  :-X

Fantastic. Thank you for correcting me Jeff - I had no idea that DDP was not "in charge" for so long. I guess my misconception comes from him being there at SDCC and then not at Toy Fair - so I thought it was something more sudden/recent.

So great, time to come up with a new name - I hereby dub the new guy "Jeff Dim-o-witz" - as in, he's an absolute dim-wit if he thinks skimping on articulation, the worse case assortments in years and dropping the Vintage collection are all what the line needs right now.  >:(
Peter

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: April 27, 2012, 01:59 PM »
I like "Dimwitz."  That's more inclusive of him, his team of direct reports that he is so good at recruiting, managing, and motivating, and Hasbro's handling of the SW line in general these days.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today