Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 193501 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #600 on: March 3, 2009, 09:09 PM »
I'm reading "Alice in Sunderland" by Bryan Talbot. This book is great! It's beautifully illustrated in a comic book-type fashion. There is some pretty bazaar stuff in this one.

Talbot's freewheeling, metafictional magnum opus is a map of the curious and delightful territory of its cartoonist's mind, starring himself in multiple roles. The starting point is the history of his hometown, the northeast English city of Sunderland, along with his lifelong fascination with the myths and realities behind Lewis Carroll and Alice in Wonderland—potentially dry material, but Talbot pulls out all the stops to keep it entertaining. He veers off on one fascinating tangent after another. The book encompasses dead-on parodies of EC horror comics, British boys' comics and Hergé's Tintin, walk-ons by local heroes like Sidney James, extensive analysis of a couple of William Hogarth prints, a cameo appearance by the Venerable Scott McComics-Expert and even a song-and-dance number, drawing a three-dimensional web of coincidences and connections between all. It's also a showcase for the explosive verve of Talbot's protean illustrative style, with digital collages of multiple media on almost every page: pen-and-ink drawings in a striking variety of styles, photographs, painting, computer modeling, and all manner of found images. The book's only real weakness is its scattered focus, but Talbot is a remarkable raconteur, even if what he's presenting is more a variety show than a story.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 5, 2009, 12:07 PM »
Now on to "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.

"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.... When enough years had gone by to enable us to look back on them, we sometimes discussed the events leading to his accident. I maintain that the Ewells started it all, but Jem, who was four years my senior, said it started long before that. He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out."
Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus--three years punctuated by the arrest and eventual trial of a young black man accused of raping a white woman. Though her story explores big themes, Harper Lee chooses to tell it through the eyes of a child. The result is a tough and tender novel of race, class, justice, and the pain of growing up.

Like the slow-moving occupants of her fictional town, Lee takes her time getting to the heart of her tale; we first meet the Finches the summer before Scout's first year at school. She, her brother, and Dill Harris, a boy who spends the summers with his aunt in Maycomb, while away the hours reenacting scenes from Dracula and plotting ways to get a peek at the town bogeyman, Boo Radley. At first the circumstances surrounding the alleged rape of Mayella Ewell, the daughter of a drunk and violent white farmer, barely penetrate the children's consciousness. Then Atticus is called on to defend the accused, Tom Robinson, and soon Scout and Jem find themselves caught up in events beyond their understanding. During the trial, the town exhibits its ugly side, but Lee offers plenty of counterbalance as well--in the struggle of an elderly woman to overcome her morphine habit before she dies; in the heroism of Atticus Finch, standing up for what he knows is right; and finally in Scout's hard-won understanding that most people are essentially kind "when you really see them." By turns funny, wise, and heartbreaking, To Kill a Mockingbird is one classic that continues to speak to new generations, and deserves to be reread often.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 6, 2009, 09:32 AM »
One of my all-time favorite novels.  It was also a movie that I loved to watch with my dad when I was growing up.  I entertained the idea of naming our daughter Scout, but my husband thought I was out of my mind.  My dad calls her Scout sometimes.  We have friends who have a one year old daughter named Scout.  Everytime I see her I think of that plucky little freckle-faced girl. 
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #603 on: March 7, 2009, 01:04 AM »
I met Harper Lee last year. She doesn't get out much.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 7, 2009, 11:27 AM »
This is a great book. You can't go wrong with Gregory Peck as Atticus. Great names in this book. That little girl that played Scout in the movie played Sport in that Twilight Zone where the kids find a passageway to a southern gramma house at the bottom of their pool. 
« Last Edit: March 7, 2009, 11:30 AM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 18, 2009, 10:30 AM »
I'm on to the Swiss Family Robinson by Johann D. Wyss.

Swept off course by a raging storm, a Swiss pastor, his wife, and four young sons are shipwrecked on an uncharted tropical island. Thus begins the classic story of survival and adventure that has fired the imaginations of readers since it first appeared in 1812.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #606 on: March 20, 2009, 09:33 AM »
Finished Shiloh: A Novel by Shelby Foote, and Anthem by Ayn Rand, now it's Night by Elie Wiesel.

I've got Three Months in the Southern States by Sir Arthur Freemantle and Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote in the mail.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #607 on: March 24, 2009, 11:58 AM »
Finished Night by Elie Wiesel and Animal Farm by George Orwell.

Now reading Three Months in the Southern States by Sir Arthur Freemantle.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 24, 2009, 02:14 PM »
Animal farm is on my upcoming reading list. What is Night about?

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 24, 2009, 02:38 PM »

I've always been a big Motley Crue fan and am finding myself more and more rabid about their music.  I may go to their concert here in Dallas in August.  This is one of those hard to put down books and is very well written from a number of perspectives in the band and from people involved with the band.  Reading this has also given me some insight into their "Saints of Los Angeles" album that came out last year.  Good album BTW if anyone is interested.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #610 on: March 24, 2009, 02:39 PM »
I hadn't read Animal Farm before... It's freaking awesome.

Night is a short story, about the size of Animal Farm; from wiki:

Night is a work by Elie Wiesel based on his experience as a young Orthodox Jew of being sent with his family to the German concentration camps at Auschwitz and Buchenwald during the Second World War.

Wiesel was 16 years old when Buchenwald was liberated in April 1945. Having lost his faith in God and humanity, he vowed not to speak of his experiences for ten years, at the end of which he wrote his story in Yiddish, which was published in Buenos Aires in 1955. In May that year, the French novelist François Mauriac persuaded him to write the story for a wider audience. Fifty years later, the 109-page volume, described as devastating in its simplicity, ranks alongside Primo Levi's If This Is a Man and Anne Frank's The Diary of a Young Girl as one of the bedrocks of Holocaust literature.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 25, 2009, 02:19 PM »
Finished the Swiss Family Robinson. It's funny how this book doesn't have most of the major sequences that the Disney movie has. It is mostly about the kids hunting and how the dad can build a nuclear reactor out of two coconuts and some vines! (slight exaggeration) It's like being marooned with McGyver. The Professor on Gilligan's Island has nothing on this guy!

I'm just starting "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" by John Berendt.

John Berendt's Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil has been heralded as a "lyrical work of nonfiction," and the book's extremely graceful prose depictions of some of Savannah, Georgia's most colorful eccentrics--remarkable characters who could have once prospered in a William Faulkner novel or Eudora Welty short story--were certainly a critical factor in its tremendous success. (One resident into whose orbit Berendt fell, the Lady Chablis, went on to become a minor celebrity in her own right.) But equally important was Berendt's depiction of Savannah socialite Jim Williams as he stands trial for the murder of Danny Hansford, a moody, violence-prone hustler--and sometime companion to Williams--characterized by locals as a "walking streak of sex." So feel free to call it a "true crime classic" without a trace of shame.

After discovering in the early 1980s that a super-saver fare to Savannah, Ga., cost the same as an entree in a nouvelle Manhattan restaurant, Esquire columnist Berendt spent the next eight years flitting between Savannah and New York City. The result is this collection of smart, sympathetic observations about his colorful Southern neighbors, including a jazz-playing real estate shark; a sexually adventurous art student; the Lady Chablis (' "What was your name before that?" I asked. "Frank," she said.' "); the gossipy Married Woman's Card Club; and an assortment of aging Southern belles. The book is also about the wealthy international antiques dealer Jim Williams, who played an active role in the historic city's restoration--and would also be tried four times for the 1981 shooting death of 21-year-old Danny Handsford, his high-energy, self-destructive house helper. The Williams trials--he died in 1990 of a heart attack at age 59--are lively matches between dueling attorneys fought with shifting evidence, and they serve as both theme and anchor to Berendt's illuminating and captivating travelogue.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 04:57 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #612 on: March 27, 2009, 01:14 PM »
Finished up Three Months in the Southern States by Sir Arthur Freemantle. Amazing book.

Now reading The Civil War: A Narrative - Volume 1 - Fort Sumter to Perryville by Shelby Foote...

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 27, 2009, 01:37 PM »

About a chapter into it today.  Good read so far.  Good supplement to other books on Easy Company, 101st AB Division in WWII.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 30, 2009, 11:41 AM »
While I'm reading "Midnight in the Garden of good and evil", I've started to read the first "Artemis Fowl" book by Eoin Colfer. You should be seeing a bunch of his books in my furture posts.

Eoin Colfer describes his new book, Artemis Fowl, as "Die Hard with fairies." He's not far wrong.
Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is the most ingenious criminal mastermind in history. With two trusty sidekicks in tow, he hatches a cunning plot to divest the fairyfolk of their pot of gold. Of course, he isn't foolish enough to believe in all that "gold at the end of the rainbow" nonsense. Rather, he knows that the only way to separate the little people from their stash is to kidnap one of them and wait for the ransom to arrive. But when the time comes to put his plan into action, he doesn't count on the appearance of the extrasmall, pointy-eared Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police Reconnaisance) Unit--and her senior officer, Commander Root, a man (sorry, elf) who will stop at nothing to get her back.

Fantastic stuff from beginning to end, Artemis Fowl is a rip-roaring, 21st-century romp of the highest order. The author has let his imagination run riot by combining folklore, fantasy, and a fistful of high-tech funk in an outrageously devilish book that could well do for fairies what Harry Potter has done for wizardry. But be warned: this is no gentle frolic, so don't be fooled by the fairy subject matter. Instead, what we have here is well-written, sophisticated, rough 'n' tumble storytelling with enough high-octane attitude to make it a seriously cool read for anyone over the age of 10.