Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 250061 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #345 on: April 8, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Great episode.  Watched it last night...  I liked their explanation about Ice and then Ariya getting Needle back kind of bookending the episode.  Pretty sweet.  I dig Ariya's character as she becomes more vicious.  I'm anxious to see her kill some more.

Good episode...  After all the Walking Dead debate I've come to the conclusion that, for me anyway, GoT is the best show on TV.  I still love TWD a lot, and more than some of you do I know, but GoT is just vastly superior in every way.  TWD is still great to me, despite all the criticism, but that's just me.  GoT is just insanely well done though, and the budget can't be too out there I'd think, being an HBO show and all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #346 on: April 8, 2014, 08:48 PM »
They're pretty tight with budgets.  I remember during one of the making-of specials the showrunners talked about blowing a huge chunk of their budget on the Battle of Blackwater, so much so that they really had to skimp the whole rest of the season.  It's amazing that nothing about the show looks cheap.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #347 on: April 8, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Yeah I'd heard similar things about Rome, Deadwood, etc.

The show's really epic in look and feel, and while some of the CGI work isn't exactly the tippy top, I don't care...  I think it still looks great.  Everything doesn't have to be Avatar to be impressive I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 11, 2014, 10:12 AM »
I finally got a chance to watch the premiere last night.  So great to have GoT back on the air!  My those dragons have grown up.

I really liked the opening sequence with the crafting of the new swords.

I hardly recognized Ser Jaime without his beard! 

Did the actor for Dario (or however you spell his name)?  He looked different but I haven't gone into IMBD to check this out.  I liked last years version better.

I've only read up to Storm of Swords (I think that's the title of book 3) so I'm trying to remember what's happened and I know they may be starting to merge different ideas from the books as they weave in and out.  So a few questions which for people that have read further ahead (or just have a better memory than me!)

Are the events of Dany's current storyline covered elsewhere?  I don't recall much more from her storyline other than the conquering of the current city (which happened last season)

Did Arya get Needle back in the books?  I honestly don't remember this.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #349 on: April 11, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Did the actor for Dario (or however you spell his name)?  He looked different but I haven't gone into IMBD to check this out.  I liked last years version better.

Yes:  http://hbowatch.com/daario-naharis-recast-in-game-of-thrones/

Did Arya get Needle back in the books?  I honestly don't remember this.

She definitely had Needle, yes.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 11, 2014, 11:00 AM »

I've only read up to Storm of Swords (I think that's the title of book 3) so I'm trying to remember what's happened and I know they may be starting to merge different ideas from the books as they weave in and out.  So a few questions which for people that have read further ahead (or just have a better memory than me!)

Are the events of Dany's current storyline covered elsewhere?  I don't recall much more from her storyline other than the conquering of the current city (which happened last season)

Yeah, they did change the actor for Dario Nahaaris.  He's now being played by Dutch actor Michel Huisman.  If you watched the HBO series Treme you might recognize him.

Dany is continuing on her travels through Slaver's Bay.  Last season she started in Astapor.  That's where she got her army of Unsullied.  She took Astapor when she freed the Unsullied, and then they took Yunkai at the end of last season.  This season Danaerys and her army are on the road from Yunkai to Meereen.  I'll leave it at that so as to avoid spoilers.

I was pleasantly surprised with the first appearance of Prince Oberyn of Dorne.  I was genuinely wondering how they were going to handle the Dornish since they really haven't been seen in the series up until now.  Culturally, they seem to be a blend of Spaniards and Arabs, which is somewhat in line with George RR Martin's vision for them.  As for Oberyn?  You've got to appreciate someone who's willing to show such outright hostility for the Lannisters in Kings Landing.  Everyone else that opposes them has done so in a very covert, measured way.  But sing "The Rains of Castamere" in a brothel and that's going to buy you a dagger through the wrist, courtesy of the Red Viper!

And speaking of "The Rains of Castamere", word has it that the Icelandic band Sigur Ros will be making a cameo, playing the House Lannister song at some point this season.  I get the sense that it might be happening on this coming Sunday's episode.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 11, 2014, 01:29 PM »
Thanks Guys.  I probably need to go back and review the books a bit more, especially in regards to Dany's plot line.  I just don't seem to recall what happens after Yunkai!  Or maybe I should just sit back and watch  ;D

I also really liked Oberyon's appearance and I really liked how uncomfortable Tyrion really was.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 11, 2014, 03:07 PM »
I just don't seem to recall what happens after Yunkai!  Or maybe I should just sit back and watch  ;D

I also really liked Oberyon's appearance and I really liked how uncomfortable Tyrion really was.

If you've only read up to Book 3, then there is more in the later 2 books... so keep reading.

Yes, I loved that scene between the two of them (Tyrion and Oberyn)... as well as Oberyn's scene in the brothel... It just sets the mood for what's to come.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 11, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Looks like Ed Skrein, who played Dario Nahaaris in the third season left because he got a better gig.  He's due to play a younger Frank Martin (originally played by Jason Statham) in what may be a Transporter prequel.

It also seems that these HBO roles may not be terribly lucrative.  Lena Headey is having some serious financial problems.  Mostly associated with her ongoing divorce.  But one would assume that one of the leads on the show would be a bit more comfortable.

Feedback

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #354 on: April 12, 2014, 05:04 PM »
Is it me or did the actress who plays Sansa looks like she aged, gained weight, in the off season. She just looked different.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 12, 2014, 08:51 PM »
All of the cast has aged.  But with the younger cast members it's far easier to see.  Personally, I don't see it as much in Sophie Turner, who plays Sansa Stark.  If anything I see it far more in the actors who play Bran and Arya Stark.  When the pilot was shot, which may have been in 2009, Isaac Hempstead Wright, who plays Bran, was probably 10 years old.  Now he's 15 and he looks radically different from the kid who caught Cersei and Jaime Lannister.

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 13, 2014, 10:01 PM »
ZOMG! Just saw "The Purple Wedding". And true to form Joffrey was an utter monster. But I couldn't believe that as he was choking that I actually felt a pang of sympathy for him. Especially after how he had so publically shamed Tyrion.

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 13, 2014, 10:46 PM »
It's amazing how choked up one gets at weddings.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 13, 2014, 11:35 PM »
ZOMG! Just saw "The Purple Wedding". And true to form Joffrey was an utter monster. But I couldn't believe that as he was choking that I actually felt a pang of sympathy for him. Especially after how he had so publically shamed Tyrion.

Sympathy?!?! 

I'm hardly the vengeful type, but watching the life go out of that little ******'s eyes was one of the most satisfying things I've ever seen in TV or film.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 14, 2014, 08:55 AM »
Don't get me wrong:  Joffrey has done the most hateful things imaginable during the course of the series.  At some point it may come to light that he was responsible for something VERY big, but I don't know when or how that might get revealed.  Karma is a bitch, and the horrific nature of his death was well deserved.  He's been a sadistic little bastard ever since we saw the incident at the Inn at the Crossroads where Arya threw his sword into the river.  And his tormenting of Tyrion during this episode alone was unforgiveable.  But for me, it's tough to watch ANYONE choke and die like that, even if it is a television show.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:03 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback