Author Topic: Jorg Sacul AFA u 100  (Read 13590 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Jorg Sacul AFA u 100
« on: April 21, 2003, 04:37 PM »
Who in there right minds would fork out the BIN price of $999.99. for this?  ::)

Jorg Sacul AFA 100

You have to be a die hard collector to have one in this condition at that price. I think the ebay prices for AFA figures has gone completely nuts on ebay IMHO.

What do you think?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Jorg Sacul AFA u 100
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 10:29 PM »
AFA is a waste of time.  For figures, for comics, for anything.  If you are really THAT concerned to pay those obscene prices, you're not a collector, you're a lunatic.  

Tell ya what.  I've got a minty, minty, absolutely freaking minty copy of Spiderman 300.  No creases, bends, fingerprints.  Colours are great, bagged and boarded from the time it hit the comic store.  What do you think I could sell it for if I dropped it on ebay?  $25?  Now, if I drop the cash to send it to get graded?  Lessee, $25 (last I checked) to get it done, plus the insured shipping in extremely protective shipping case at least another $25.  Let's say it's AFA 10, how much will it sell for?  $100s of dollars.  Why?  Cuz somebody says so?  Sure, ok, it's a consistent standard and takes the risk out, but what is the point?  Why bother?  The bottom falls out on collectibles all the time. Cards, comics, star wars figures (hey, anybody want to buy a mint orange US carded Ben Kenobi full body shot for $30 US? ::))

It's pretty laughable watching the McFarlane crowd.  These guys believe these things will only ever increase in value.  That's not to say I haven't paid ebay like prices for a couple of things, but I am not under the illusion I can fund my kids education off these things either.  I just wanted it bad enough to pay that much (hello, vintage collectors, can you relate?).  

I still believe if you are collecting for future value, you're collecting for the wrong reason.  No, I don't open everything I have, but it's just my opinion.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 08:50 PM »
That's totally crazy!  I'm lucky that a friend bought me one when he went to the convention last year.  Barely worth the $10 there, let alone $1,000!  Some people never cease to amaze me though.

I think using AFA is silly when it comes to the modern figures, but it's a helpful guide to some of the older vintage collectors though.  Definitely costly, but good peace of mind if you can afford it.

Nayr Treppel

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2003, 02:15 PM »
It is a nice item but no

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 03:45 PM »
That... is... crazy!
dustrho

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline Commander JediSearch

• Jedi Initiate
  • Do what must be done... I support Order 66
    • View Profile
    • The Archive
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 10:01 AM »
The interesting thing is at last count there are 11 different bidders on this thing.   ::)
Stephen - Louisville, KY
Sandtroopers | KSWCC | My Collection

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 02:22 PM »
I am against the whole AFA thing. I have never seen anything graded 100 though. That was cool.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 05:20 PM »
It's all in who you know.

I think the AFA grades "on the curve" for big dogs like Brian Smelling and Cloud City because they probably send items in "bulk" for grading.

Just like politics baby!   :P

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 05:32 PM »
Even with it graded 100...there's no way it's worth THAT much!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 05:45 PM »
It's all in who you know.

I think the AFA grades "on the curve" for big dogs like Brian Smelling and Cloud City because they probably send items in "bulk" for grading.

Just like politics baby!   :P

That's a really good point Ruiner...  And it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.  Who's to say the AFA people aren't being dishonest, ya know?  But...  People seem to feel a need to have others judge their stuff instead of judging it for themselves.  If I had such a lack of faith in myself in this hobby (I mean, vintage is a tough hobby to know inside out, but modern?  Sheesh!) I think it'd be time to hang it up...  People really need to work on their confidence/self-worth issues I think...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline bobafett1121

• Youngling
  • Boba Fett Rules!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 10:23 AM »
all AFA is for is so that sellers can try to make as much money as they can from all the die hard collectors out there.
Boba Fett Rules!!!!!!

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 5, 2005, 04:18 PM »
AFA graded or not- Jorg Sacul blows... big time.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 5, 2005, 11:43 PM »
Just how many of these figures were made?!
who Learned you To spoke!