Author Topic: Correct scale Millenium Falcon WIP (pic heavy!) 10/15/11  (Read 51472 times)

Offline rogue1

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Here's what I've got so far on a Millenium Falcon correctly scaled to the 3 3/4" figures.  First I did a foamcore prototype to nail down dimensions and locations:  I'm now beginning on the final plastic version using acrylic and styrene, with lighting also to be incorporated.  Comments/critiques welcome!

The foamcore prototype:

Early stages of final rear landing gear and cockpit, with a few detail pieces beginning to be added:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:18 PM by rogue1 »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Correct scale Millenium Falcon WIP (pic heavy!)
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2008, 09:31 AM »
Wow! :o

That is really ambitious and looking great so far. Can't wait to see more progress.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 9, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Now that is an intense project! It is impressive enough to just use foam core but to then cast it is just insane. That will be an expensive project.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline rogue1

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2008, 07:46 PM »
Thanks for the comments, guys!  I do think maybe there's a misconception. though.  The foamcore version is just a mock-up for reference.  The hard copy will be scratchbuilt, not cast from the foam;  and I'll be able to get nearly all of the acrylic for free, since my father owns the local lumber yard, and is always loaded with scraps.  Still, it will be expensive, but it'll literally take years to finish this, so it should be fairly spread out on costs.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 10:23 AM »
Even better. Keep us updated!
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 06:45 PM »
I'm going to have to keep an eye on this thread. I really like where you are heading rogue. It looks as if you have done your research. I'm looking forward to seeing your WIP picures. :)
"This is the way."

Offline clonebuyer111

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 03:01 PM »
will you continue with this project with the new Millenium Falcon coming out?

Offline rogue1

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Correct scale Millenium Falcon WIP (pic heavy!) 5/19/09
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 08:10 AM »
Long overdue update with some of the detail work on the cockpit console, as well as progress on the main hold and hull:

The BMF next to the main hold:

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 11:40 AM »
Wow, thanks for the pictures.  Some of the details are awesome.  The to-scale version will just dwarf the BMF.  Very cool project!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 09:22 PM »
Keep the updates coming...  It's insanely cool, and something I've wanted to do but not had the balls to even consider starting. 

What's the main structure made of though, if I may ask?  Plexi-glass?  And why'd you go with that, if I may ask?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline no-wan

• Youngling
  • I Warn You Not to Under Estimate my Power !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 02:06 PM »
I just love to see major undertakings.

I need to do a new one (haven't since '03) but the thought of the boredom that sets in about half way through seems to come to mind.  ::)

Keep up the Good Work !!
The New Sandcrawler Workshop

Offline rogue1

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 09:43 PM »
Thanks for the comments, all, it's appreciated!  Jesse, it is indeed plexi-glass I'm using.  Why?  Well, it's failry durable and easy to work with, but fairly expensive. However since my family owns the local lumber yard, I've got access to tons of scrap stuff for free.  In the end it all comes down to simple economics (aka I'm a cheap @$#%)!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 01:10 AM »
Everything is coming along nicely rogue1.

Thanks for the comments, all, it's appreciated!  Jesse, it is indeed plexi-glass I'm using.  Why?  Well, it's failry durable and easy to work with, but fairly expensive. However since my family owns the local lumber yard, I've got access to tons of scrap stuff for free.  In the end it all comes down to simple economics (aka I'm a cheap @$#%)!

There's nothing wrong with that. :)

Just out of curiosity do you have an estimate of how much this beast is going to weigh (or at least how heavy it is now?)
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 03:04 AM »

Thanks Rogue1, I appreciate the reply...

I'm all for cheap...  Plexiglass is neat because sheets can be had for a fair price, and it's similar to plastic enough I think, that it "works" for customs to me.  I'm not fond of using wood, foam or other materials a toy isn't made of, and like seeing people build things using the materials a Hasbro would use...  Resin is about as non-toy as I go buliding stuff from scratch.

You can get sheets of ABS cheap if you can find a distributor near you...  For $60 I got two sheets that were so big I had to curl them to fit in a Dodge Dakota's bed.  For $60 that's outstanding value I think since it really gives you enough plastic you will be hard pressed to use it all.  I've still got one sheet of 1/8 thick sitting around that I never have even touched.  :)  Mostly because the thicker it is, the more of a b it is to work with though of course, haha.

Keep the updates coming Rogue...  Hang around the boards too if you want.  I like having a die-hard vehicle customizer around. :)

Are you going to tackle anything else done to-scale?  I'd like to get around to just about everything at some point or another, but time to work on customs is pretty much dead for me, so I just enjoy looking for now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline manglord

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 08:55 PM »
Beyond colossal, the ultimate Falcon. This thing is gonna need a couple of gallons of primer and paint.