Author Topic: Hasbro Pulse 2023 TBOBF Throne Room Playset  (Read 6068 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Pulse 2023 TBOBF Throne Room Playset
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2022, 08:31 PM »
  - designed with commonly used shelf depth in mind

This is absolute music to my ears. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2022, 09:02 PM »
About the haslab thing, Yakface retweeted some graphic that mentioned it finding and stuff.  That’s weird.  I kinda wondered about this set when it was a fair size piece and price, but then Patrick said no Haslab in the QnA and now this image… I’ll post the tweet if I can find it… here it is: https://twitter.com/yak_face/status/1492455272484384770?s=21
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2022, 10:00 PM »
I don’t get it though.  I ordered a pair and didn’t put down any deposit.  So there’s nothing to refund and it’s not crowdfunded.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2022, 02:18 AM »
I don’t get it though.  I ordered a pair and didn’t put down any deposit.  So there’s nothing to refund and it’s not crowdfunded.

So, the most likely scenario is that it was intended to be a Haslab project despite comments to the contrary and that information did not get removed from their communications.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if they accelerated this when the Rancor didn't move forward, since that likely left them with excess production capacity and a profit/sales gap to make up for.  And no surprise that they just went ahead and launched it versus going through Haslab again, which could have given it a chance to fail.  It would be nice if companies were just up front about this kind of stuff, but they're probably more concerned about saving face after the Rancor fiasco.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2022, 11:54 AM »
I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but I'd buy the idea that this was conceived as a Haslab project any day.  It's too big of a departure from what they've been doing, at too big a price point for that not to have been the original intention.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2022, 12:48 PM »
I don't think it's a big deal that they originally started as a possible Haslab and they decided to go the pre-order route with this.  Honetly, I think it would be better for Hasbro to go this route instead of Haslab....but that's an entirely different conversation.

I do find the SW news sites going into speculation mode on why it was change highly entertaining!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2022, 01:03 PM »
I don't think it's a big deal that they originally started as a possible Haslab and they decided to go the pre-order route with this. 

I didn't think it was a big deal either, though when a spokesperson doesn't tell the truth about it then I think it becomes a bigger deal.  They could have just said "it was planned for this, then we moved it to that," but instead we get outright denial that it was ever Haslab, and then when evidence pops up it makes you wonder if you can trust anything that's ever said.  You combine this with things like the accidental Rancor announcement that was immediately backtracked on and it just fosters negativity with your consumer base. 

I know I'm biased, but I blame Hasbro for treating their business like its some high security government agency or a Summer blockbuster where knowing something might ruin the plot and somehow reduce sales.  Just be honest and transparent with this stuff.  They've always tried to be ultra secretive and punitive towards anyone who tries to share information before they've had a chance to announce it and that's never sat well with me. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2022, 01:34 PM »
I don't think it's a big deal that they originally started as a possible Haslab and they decided to go the pre-order route with this. 

I didn't think it was a big deal either, though when a spokesperson doesn't tell the truth about it then I think it becomes a bigger deal.  They could have just said "it was planned for this, then we moved it to that," but instead we get outright denial that it was ever Haslab, and then when evidence pops up it makes you wonder if you can trust anything that's ever said.  You combine this with things like the accidental Rancor announcement that was immediately backtracked on and it just fosters negativity with your consumer base. 

I know I'm biased, but I blame Hasbro for treating their business like its some high security government agency or a Summer blockbuster where knowing something might ruin the plot and somehow reduce sales.  Just be honest and transparent with this stuff.  They've always tried to be ultra secretive and punitive towards anyone who tries to share information before they've had a chance to announce it and that's never sat well with me.

AND if they were more transparent, they have thousands willing to give free market research.

Remember when that ****** action feature throne room Luke came out and they responded by letting us in on the early concept drawings of a new Jedi Luke they were planning?  More of that would help them refine their stuff before it is too late.

That said, on the creative side at least, they seem to have people with an eye on accuracy.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2022, 01:37 PM »
I think marketing people lie more than politicians, I'm really not surprised by it anymore.

I just wish the Hasbro Star Wars marketing folks were a little more competent.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2022, 02:42 PM »
I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but I'd buy the idea that this was conceived as a Haslab project any day.  It's too big of a departure from what they've been doing, at too big a price point for that not to have been the original intention.

I'm going to put a positive spin on this and assume this went from "Haslab parking lot idea" to Hasbro Pulse exclusive not because BS6" scale Rancor failed and they needed a SW win, but because they trust the TVC fan base to be there for stuff like this.  TVC dudes have shown up time and time again - $400 SWGE Millennium Falcon?  Sold Out.  $500 Sail Barge?  Yes, please!  $375 Razor Crest? Tripled initial expectations.

I'm really hopeful that this idea works well enough for them to keep this new "expression" going - I'd gladly pay $250 for a similar detailed Mos Eisley Cantina, Dagobah Swamp/Yoda's Hut, etc.  And you've still got the $50 playset line for the other stuff - Bespin Dining Room, Death Star Conference Room, DS2 Throne Room, Trash Compactor, etc.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2022, 03:36 PM »
I like your thinking Jeff.

I wonder if there will be a TVC Haslab on top of this preorder.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2022, 06:06 PM »
Agreed on every detail Jeff.  I love that they're making this stuff, especially after years of saying that play sets just don't sell. 

It gives me hope that eventually they'll rediscover obscure characters as a thing worth pursuing.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2022, 07:42 PM »
Saw an interview clip from SDCC that it won't be long before Hasbro ends pre-orders for the Throne Room and moves it to production. I'm certain they'll have extras, and stores will get in on the action, but with this model I feel there won't be so many excess units lingering to go to clearance. So for those on the fence...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: October 1, 2022, 05:22 PM »
Hasbro announced that pre-orders for the TBOBF Throne Room playset will close 11:59pm ET on Friday 10/7.

If you want one and haven't pre-ordered yet, you've got one more week to decide.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 8, 2023, 07:28 PM »
Was there any mention at EU Celebration when we would be getting this?  Its been a year since they started taking orders.