Author Topic: The Mandalorian - Season 3 (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 5875 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The Mandalorian - Season 3 (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2023, 11:27 AM »
It was interesting how things came together in the end, but I kind of wished a couple episodes were more coherent (The Convert and Guns for Hire)... more along the lines of Andor, where they can focus on different characters arcs within an episode (and how its spread out through the season) instead of bookending the episode with Djarin and Bo-Katan with the actual purpose of the episode.

Also, jet pack fuel limits were definitely a plot device this season.  In The Foundling, it was an issue to go find the bird, but in the finale, Axe Woves just flies off into space and to a ship in orbit with no issue.

That said, I still enjoyed things.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 21, 2023, 09:01 AM »
Also, jet pack fuel limits were definitely a plot device this season.  In The Foundling, it was an issue to go find the bird, but in the finale, Axe Woves just flies off into space and to a ship in orbit with no issue.

I thought the same thing.  Apparently you can't fly very far horizontally when chasing a big bird monster but you can fly in to an orbit vertically.   ::)

This episode was fun and wrapped up the season fairly tightly.   It makes me wonder if Bo Katan and Mandalore are going to have much to do with the future plot of The Mandalorian.  They sort of seemed to imply Din Djarin was going to be a bounty hunter from here on out and just have random adventures tracking down Imperial remnants.

Overall I agree with Rob that this season was a bit of a dud.  There were definitely some significant tangents that haven't paid off (I'm looking at you Dr. Pershing).  There was some fun mixed in but there were a few episodes that didn't matter and really weren't that much fun.

I also felt like there wasn't much in the way of character development.  I know this is supposed to be a pulpy show, but I felt like in the first couple of seasons Din Djarin's character grew a bit while the adventures took place.  I really don't feel like his character (or anyone's character) grew this season.

It's still Star Wars and still fun, but I think the execution could have been a lot better.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 01:47 PM by Dave »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2023, 08:24 AM »

I haven't gotten hung up with details like this.  To my mind, if you're focusing on this kind of a detail, you're not immersed in the story.  Star Wars has never been so much about the science than it has been about the story - witness TESB, where the Millennium Falcon travels at sublight speed from the Hoth system, to the Anoad system, and on to Bespin.  That's a trip that should have taken YEARS.

One little "rhyming moment"?  Why is it that every time someone is flying a capital ship that's in flames towards the surface of a planet, they have to say "I'm coming in hot"?  Be that as it may, Axe Woves really distinguised himself in the past couple of episodes.  Even though he got into pissing matches with Paz Vizsla, there seemed to be a genuine sense of dedication to Mandalore and their people.  His recollection about the Night of a Thousand Tears, along with talking about the Forge was a way of bringing things back to a time before the Empire rained destruction on the planet.  I had been skeptical about the motivations of the Armorer, but she came back and fought like hell to defeat the Imperials.  The concepts of honor, loyalty and character weren't just words to these Mandalorians.  They were living it.  And I like how the season got bookended with Ragnar taking the creed.  It was interrupted by the lake beast in the first episode, but then he was able to complete the ceremony on Mandalore in the living waters.  I had also thought about the possibility of the Mythosaur rising from the waters in this episode, but I think that the story of the return of the Mandalorians to their homeworld still needs places to go.  It seemed clear that Grogu connected with the creature.  What will that mean in the future?  And the future of the Mandalorians in general?  We'll see.

For the actors and stunt people?  Serious credit has to be given to Lateef Crowder.  His hand to hand combat scene against the Imperial Super Commandos was fantastic!  Seeing how he took out so many of them unarmed was really impressive, and definitely showed that Din Djarin wasn't just a gunslinger.

As for tying up loose ends?  Din Djarin formally adopting Grogu seemed a little anti-climactic.  As if that was actually a fact.  I didn't see a moment of doubt for Din Djarin to make that decision. It was interesting to see how Din Djarin approached Carson Teva with his offer to work for him.  Is this concept something that was salvaged from Rangers of the New Republic?  I think that's a possibility. 
 It seems that Din Djarin and Grogu have earned a much needed rest after their adventures.  Bringing back IG-11 as the Marshal for Nevarro was a nice touch, too.

As for the Shadow Council?  Their existence certainly set up some possibilities for the next season, because there are still a number of Imperial warlords still out there.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 10:36 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2023, 10:50 AM »

Questions for next week's finale:
  - Will Thrawn/Sabine/Ahsoka make a cameo to further link to the next series (maybe this is the post-credits zinger tease?)

I'm really surprised that they didn't work in any tie-in to Ahsoka or The Rebels crew in to the finale.  I'm fine that they didn't, but really thought that this was a likely plot element.

Online Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2023, 11:14 AM »

I haven't gotten hung up with details like this.  To my mind, if you're focusing on this kind of a detail, you're not immersed in the story.  Star Wars has never been so much about the science than it has been about the story - witness TESB, where the Millennium Falcon travels at sublight speed from the Hoth system, to the Anoad system, and on to Bespin.  That's a trip that should have taken YEARS.

Okay Nick, but next season when Din reveals his rocket pack can travel in Hyperspace, we will only have you to blame.

On the Falcon's trip to Bespin: It has been established in the old EU that every ship with Hyperdrive has backup hyperdrive engines that--while they move at a fraction of the regular hyperspace speeds, still far outclass sublight engines. It is still a point of mystery as to exactly how long they travelled / Luke trained, much the same as how my mind was blown to read an interview with Favreau stating in his mind there were two years between the end of Mando Season 2 and Season 3, most of which Grogu spent with Luke.

The first time any of this really "broke" for me to take me out of the story and I couldn't get past it was during "The Last Jedi" when the First Order had to resort to a sublight chase, rather than somehow flanking the Resistance with lightspeed maneuvers, which was then only further complicated by the jaunt to Canto Bight in the middle of said low-speed chase. Even then, I like the movie more than I don't, it just really really took me out of the moment.

What took me out of Mando even more than the rocketpack to space (which I poked fun at nonetheless) was the fact that Axe did that because the sky is scorched and no transmissions can get off the surface, a fact we have been told numerous times this season. So when it was revealed that Gideon's secret lair was underground on Mandalore itself, I had to question how he was chatting with his spies on Coruscant or the Shadow Council at all from there? It was sloppy for them not to address this with a line of dialogue somewhere.

And while I get where they were going with the clones, did they have to be 65-year old looking clones? At max he has only been growing them two years (see above, that's when he finally got Grogu's blood) and the master cloners on Kamino were impressed with themselves to have clones that aged at twice the speed, those things were not going to have a very long life if they aged 30x regular speed.

I thought the last two episodes this season lived up to my expectation of them being in the vein of those Transformers or GIJoe mini-series events where the status quo gets reset and new toys are introduced. I liked plenty in the finale, the laser gate gauntlet being a highlight for sure, and R5 vs the Mouse Droid felt like classic Star Wars at last.

I am hopeful season four sticks with the promise of bounty hunting Imperial remnants in an episodic nature. I think that is where the show will do its best work.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2023, 05:17 PM »
I am hopeful season four sticks with the promise of bounty hunting Imperial remnants in an episodic nature. I think that is where the show will do its best work.

Totally agree.  They've not done a great job with big story arcs or character development, so just make it 1-3 episode story arcs and keep it fun and simple with bounty hunting adventures.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2023, 07:12 PM »

I haven't gotten hung up with details like this.  To my mind, if you're focusing on this kind of a detail, you're not immersed in the story. 

I wasn’t very immersed in the story, but it wasn’t because of the details.  It was because the story was pretty one-note and meandering and not very… immersive. 

I think Andor raised the bar to a level that everything else is going to continue to struggle to match.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2023, 09:17 PM »
The ship was approximately 4.5 miles above the planet, not in orbit. How far did they chase that bird for? Could have been longer than that for sure.

Lol that no one turned out to be a spy after a week of wildly improbably fan theories bombarding my FB feed. Now im stuck with 50 different Moff Gideon-is-not dead threads.  ::)

My only disappointment is that I really, really did think the very final scene of the season was gonna be Bo riding that Mythosaur. Maybe next season?

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2023, 11:24 AM »
The ship was approximately 4.5 miles above the planet, not in orbit. How far did they chase that bird for? Could have been longer than that for sure.

Lol that no one turned out to be a spy after a week of wildly improbably fan theories bombarding my FB feed. Now im stuck with 50 different Moff Gideon-is-not dead threads.  ::)

My only disappointment is that I really, really did think the very final scene of the season was gonna be Bo riding that Mythosaur. Maybe next season?

While some Mythosaur riding would have been pretty epic in theory, I think if she rolled up riding a giant beast the whiny and toxic side of the fan base would have been like "WTF Bo KAtan Mary Sue riding her WOKE mythosaur is just copying BoBA FeTT from BOBF on tha RANCOR!!!!!! Favreau and Filoni have no more original ideas WTF ROTFLMAO!!!!1!!!!!!11!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 12:34 PM by Mister Skeezler »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram