Author Topic: Andor (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 12295 times)

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
Re: Andor (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2022, 05:44 PM »

Part of me wonders if they would go full circle and make them some kind of Death Star parts to even further tie it into Rogue One in a heavy-handed way?

Maybe, Ive been wondering if Kaenari is connected as it might have provided the ore for the death star. Maybe the accident and the off-limits status for the planet was just a cover-up story to hide the scope of the project the empire was working on.
Macklunkey!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2022, 11:06 AM »

Part of me wonders if they would go full circle and make them some kind of Death Star parts to even further tie it into Rogue One in a heavy-handed way?

Maybe, Ive been wondering if Kaenari is connected as it might have provided the ore for the death star. Maybe the accident and the off-limits status for the planet was just a cover-up story to hide the scope of the project the empire was working on.

I thought I had heard rumblings about Krennic appearing in the series.  And IIRC I'm pretty sure ISB officer Jung mentioned Krennic and/or Scarif during one of the ISB staff meetings.  There's also the whole matter of the Geonosians helping build the Death Star, which is a significant part of the plot of the "Catalyst" novel.

As for the parts Cassian's team is making?  They look like big spokes in a wheel.  Which actually seems to play into the design of the prison - where the central core of the prison/factory is fed by these walkways that look like spokes.  It seems like symbolism could be at work here.  And I'm still struck by the design callbacks to THX 1138.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 11:07 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2022, 04:21 PM »
I believe everything the Empire is doing right now is working to get the Deathstar built.  Cassian was arrested, tried and convicted in under an hour, because the Empire needs labor to build parts for the Deathstar and just enslaving people is too overt.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2022, 11:36 PM »

And I'm still struck by the design callbacks to THX 1138.

It's been a long time since I've seen THX 1138 but those were the vibes I was getting from the prison barracks and I'm surprised if it's not a nod to that..
Macklunkey!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: November 1, 2022, 12:28 PM »
I always enjoy checking out the SW.com episode guides after each episode for easter eggs and trivia -> https://www.starwars.com/series/andor/andor-season-1-episode-8-episode-guide

The databank entry for Narkina 5 says:

"Narkina 5 is also home to a secluded and secretive Imperial prison complex. Inside the seven levels, hundreds of inmates toil on sterile factory floors, producing an array of mysterious widgets at grueling output quotas to power the Imperial war machine."

So either SW.com doesn't know what those widgets are either OR they are helping save that secret for the show... 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 1, 2022, 12:57 PM »
Thanks for the link Jeff.  I'll have to start reading those synopsis now that I know they exist.  Good stuff.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 2, 2022, 03:14 PM »
That Andor episode... not much happening (action-wise), but man, it's just interesting to see how pieces are starting to fit!
« Last Edit: November 2, 2022, 03:14 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #97 on: November 2, 2022, 05:05 PM »
Excellent shot during the interrogation that completely echoes Leia's torture scene cutaway from ANH.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 4, 2022, 12:18 PM »
Great episode. 

I loved the tension on the work team with those that are short on days just wanting to get it over with, and those that are long on days looking for a way to escape.  It was great seeing how that changed from the begging to the end of the show when they finally realized what had happened on Level 2.  I hope by the end of the next episode Cassian and crew have managed to escape.  I don't think we need to spend any more time in the prison realizing the Empire is bad and enslaving people.

We are spending a bit of time on the Mon Monthma and Syril Karn story lines without much to show for it so far.  I hope it matters by the end.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 4, 2022, 12:59 PM »
I believe everything the Empire is doing right now is working to get the Deathstar built.  Cassian was arrested, tried and convicted in under an hour, because the Empire needs labor to build parts for the Deathstar and just enslaving people is too overt.

I would be on board with that train of thought, but it doesn't really line up with what the series has shown us so far.  At the beginning of the series the ISB seems to be operating more like an intelligence agency.  But it seems like the Aldhani raid changed everything.  It was a big thumb in the eye of the Empire.  And it seems that PORD was a result of the Empire's reaction to losing 80 million credits in that raid.  That was the excuse the Empire needed to ramp up the oppression.  And listening to Luthen's conversations with Mon Mothma, it seems that was the point.  The Empire was slowly oppressing the people of the galaxy.  But the Imperial reaction to Aldanhi has made the oppression of the Empire that much more overt.

The funny thing is that while Cassian was an integral part of the Aldhani mission, he doesn't realize that his very long prison sentence and what's happening at Narkina 5 is a direct result of how the Empire has responded to Aldhani.  As for what they're building in the factory?  Perhaps that will be revealed next week.  But I'm not banking on it.  It is interesting to see that Kino Loy has been trying to keep Melshi in line, because he probably knows that Melshi has designs on getting out.  He's been trying to keep things running smoothly, but more and more he sees the brutality of the Empire at work.  From learning the truth about what happened on level 2, to the utter indifference they had to Ulaf's stroke, he seems to have come around.  And I think Andy Serkis has been just awesome in the span of two episodes.

I'm curious to see where this Dedra Meero and Syril Karn thing is going.  Because there seems to be intrigue afoot at the ISB.  Those staff meetings previously had a lot more ISB officers, but the more recent ones have been attended by far fewer supervisors.  Are the others in the field?  Or have they been culled from the ranks?  Major Partagaz did make a point of telling Dedra to watch her back.  And now I think she suspects that her subordinate might be attempting to undermine her by issuing orders on her behalf regarding Rebel interrogations.  Meanwhile, Syril Karn is trying to work his way into Dedra's good graces.  While she seemed to be threatening Syril for stalking her, she also seemed to be vulnerable.  Like there's some weirdness going on between the two of them, and I think they might be more closely linked in the next few episodes.

Oh, and MIND BLOWN about one revelation.  Vel Sartha is Mon Mothma's cousin?!?!?!  This is getting more interesting.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 4, 2022, 01:32 PM »
I just realized that Kino must be using the tasteless food paste dispenser as the pomade to keep his hair so slick and now I can't think of anything else.

Well, except that I still want to try a box of Syril Karn's Galactic Crunch cereal.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 4, 2022, 02:43 PM »
I just realized that Kino must be using the tasteless food paste dispenser as the pomade to keep his hair so slick and now I can't think of anything else.

I think that's what happens to your hair when you don't get a shower, just a disinfecting spray from time to time.  Can't imagine the smell in there...

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 4, 2022, 03:02 PM »
Oh, and MIND BLOWN about one revelation.  Vel Sartha is Mon Mothma's cousin?!?!?!  This is getting more interesting.

Yeah, I wonder if that connection will be the one that gets Mon Mothma more front and center in the Rebellion (something happens to Vel).

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 4, 2022, 04:19 PM »
I have really enjoyed the characterization of Mon Mothma, it has very much colored my interpretation of her even in Return of the Jedi.

She was so horrified to learn what Luthen had done on Aldahni. She made it known she cut ties with Saw's Partisans because of their willingness to act as terrorists, and even was absolutely resigned to let the Death Star rule the galaxy through fear in Rogue One (at least until Admiral Raddus's military leanings forced her hand.) She was so broken up over the deaths of Bothan spies that she couldn't even finish her speech in Jedi. Now we see she doesn't want to further her cause through the use of "thugs" who operate outside the law.

This is a person who truly believes she can topple the Empire by talking sense and appealing to people's better natures. Every military action is a concession for her, a failure of reason. Yet she winds up heading a paramilitary force, not because it's the only way necessarily, but because it's the only group of individuals in the galaxy that seems to align with the bulk of her views.

I heard that in the Rebels TV show she had this big moment of breaking from the Senate and the Empire and declaring her own Rebellion, but that might be playing it a bit too thick. I hope Andor gives more nuance to the fact that she has to leave that life of Senatorial opulence behind and find her own way.

I really do love everything this show has thrown at me.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 4, 2022, 04:54 PM »
I have really enjoyed the characterization of Mon Mothma, it has very much colored my interpretation of her even in Return of the Jedi.

She was so horrified to learn what Luthen had done on Aldahni. . Now we see she doesn't want to further her cause through the use of "thugs" who operate outside the law.

I'm guessing she has no idea that Vel was part of the Aldahni mission, but it does appear she knows that Vel is working with Luthen in some capacity.  I wonder if Luthen has cells all around the galaxy doing things.