Author Topic: Disney+ Streaming Service  (Read 66163 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Disney+ Streaming Service
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2019, 02:28 PM »
I downloaded it this morning and set it up... going to try to watch Mandalorian tonight.  Fingers crossed.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2019, 03:30 PM »
Anybody streaming yet?  I've heard a lot of people are having trouble with some shows. 

I tried to check out The Mandalorian, but it wasn't letting me.  I had a buddy down that hall watching it during lunch and he screenshotted a pic for me.

So I just clicked the little magnifying glass, found The Black Hole, and started watching that.  I haven't seen it since I was a kid.

After a half hour of false starts I was finally able to get in to see the Mandalorian around 9:30 this morning. Poking around just now it seems like everything is up and running.

Love "The Black Hole" RIP Robert Forster!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2019, 11:00 PM »
Once I got home from work, I loaded the app on my LG smart TV, my Roku as well as my phone and iPad.  Everything is working just fine!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2019, 06:57 AM »
It took 15-30 minutes for the Mandalorian episode to show up through the roku I just had to buy since my TV is from 2015...I'm not giving up my 3D TV.  Not sure why there was a delay since I could play the episode on my laptop as soon as I logged in.  Other content was ready to play on the roku as well.  After Mandalorian, I watch a episode of Spiderman and His Amazing Friends as well as the old X-Men cartoon.  Pretty nice service so far.  I also watched the cantina scene in ANH just to see what had changed this time.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2019, 09:16 AM »
It was really buggy in the morning, but I was glad to see by evening everything seemed to be working smoothly.  I streamed a couple episodes of The Resistance while working out and then settled in for the premier of The Mandalorian.  I use a Google Chromecast on my TVs and it all worked perfectly.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2019, 10:45 AM »
I managed to play the episode without any glitches or issues. 

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2019, 03:18 PM »
After watching The Madalorian, I took some time to scroll through what content is available.  There's a ton of cool stuff!  Lots of great Star Wars movies and shows, plenty of older Disney content and some great stuff from National Geographic.

I'm loving it!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2019, 06:24 PM »
I have had zero issue so far on my phone or laptop.  I’ve been on since day one and even walked away from some things for a few hours, came back and they were still ready to go.  Not even slow or anything, it all seems to load and run fine for me and at various times of day.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2019, 09:33 PM »
Worked perfectly for me.  Quick install and all the content was there right away yesterday morning.  ;D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2019, 07:03 AM »
I haven't had any issues watching anything so far in terms of server issues.  And my girl just loves some of the Disney princess content, so it's win-win in terms of us enjoying the titles they have.

I only have a single gripe, and that's about the interface.  On day one I sat down to watch The Mandalorian.  I was able to get through about 90% of the episode, but then I had to get out of the house to do something, and I shut down my smart TV.  I thought that I'd be able to just pick up where I left off in the episode, just like Netflix.  But no.  I couldn't find an option to pick up where I had left off on the previous viewing (Netflix and Amazon Prime have that option).  It's a picking point, and I hope Disney+ can address that.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2019, 08:57 AM »
I haven't had any issues watching anything so far in terms of server issues.  And my girl just loves some of the Disney princess content, so it's win-win in terms of us enjoying the titles they have.

I only have a single gripe, and that's about the interface.  On day one I sat down to watch The Mandalorian.  I was able to get through about 90% of the episode, but then I had to get out of the house to do something, and I shut down my smart TV.  I thought that I'd be able to just pick up where I left off in the episode, just like Netflix.  But no.  I couldn't find an option to pick up where I had left off on the previous viewing (Netflix and Amazon Prime have that option).  It's a picking point, and I hope Disney+ can address that.

Weird, I was able to pick up a day later on a Resistance episode I was watching, and it was on a different device.

I do agree that the UI is a bit wonky in some places. Finding content outside their main categories isn't intuitive.   If you search for stuff you can find it, but it would be nice if there were an easier way to browse their catalog.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2019, 10:14 AM »
Agreed. The search function brings up categories, not an alphanumeric search as one would hope. I have found everything I was looking for eventually and made sure to put it all in my watchlist, except for the Toy Story TV Specials my son loves (Toy Story That Time Forgot and Toy Story of Terror) which I am assuming at this point are tied up on someone else's service for the time being. I even found that old "Mickey Donald and Goofy as Ghostbusters" I had on my Kenner Movie Viewer as a kid: amazing to see it with sound, Goofy even says "I ain't afraid of no ghosts" 50 years before Ray Parker Jr. did!

I have had the choice to "resume" or "restart" since launch, my app is through Roku. Maybe that's the difference?

Once I made it through the first 3 hours of the launch, there have been no streaming bugs on either TV I've used. One TV insisted on playing with German subtitles the first day, then switched to no subtitles for Wednesday morning before correcting itself (our default mode is watching with captions on because I have terrible upper-band hearing from rockin' in the 90's and it helps the kids to subconsciously read while watching.)

Between me and the boys, we have already gotten our money's worth out of the service.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2019, 11:08 AM »

Weird, I was able to pick up a day later on a Resistance episode I was watching, and it was on a different device.

I do agree that the UI is a bit wonky in some places. Finding content outside their main categories isn't intuitive.   If you search for stuff you can find it, but it would be nice if there were an easier way to browse their catalog.

Hmmm.  It sounds like that might be an issue with the app for Samsung smart tv's.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2019, 01:19 PM »
I thought that I'd be able to just pick up where I left off in the episode, just like Netflix.  But no.  I couldn't find an option to pick up where I had left off on the previous viewing (Netflix and Amazon Prime have that option).  It's a picking point, and I hope Disney+ can address that.

This is the same thing I experienced.  I was watching from my phone, and while I could find search the show and it would pick up where I left off (Mandalorian, and 2012 Avengers), I had to search the show and their wasn't the Netflix type option of continuing the show where I left off.  I think Disney will fix that though.  I'm not a software guy, but I can't imagine that being a real big deal.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2019, 01:30 PM »

Looking for stuff depends on what version of the app you are using.  On my iPhone/iPad, I can find a section that lists all of a category (Movies/TV) A-Z, whereas on my LG Smart TV, I cannot find that feature.  Curious if android users have noticed anything similar.
This is the way.

I have spoken.