Author Topic: G.I. Joe Toys Thread  (Read 105239 times)

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #510 on: September 9, 2009, 09:23 AM »
Did Hasbro produce any generic, nameless stands for the 25th Anniversary figures?  I hate that some of the vehicle drivers and later multipacks didn't come with stands.

I suppose if they didn't I could always paint over the nameplates of other figures' stands.  So if anyone has any extra stands they'd like to unload, I could use a few.  :)

John

Offline Alyosha

• Youngling
  • Nemesis Creator
    • View Profile
    • BrokenArrowToys.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #511 on: September 9, 2009, 11:25 AM »
I'm casting the movie stands for just that reason.  I like that they are solid and heavier than the older ones, and the peg spacing is also a lot better.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #512 on: September 9, 2009, 04:01 PM »
AFter the initial surge...I'm ready to declare the Joe line neck and neck with Star Trek for the Indiana Jones of 2009.  Stuff has been rotting on the pegs here...doesn't look good :-\

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #513 on: September 9, 2009, 04:10 PM »
AFter the initial surge...I'm ready to declare the Joe line neck and neck with Star Trek for the Indiana Jones of 2009.  Stuff has been rotting on the pegs here...doesn't look good :-\

I agree.  Nothing's moving here.  I remember Hasbro said that Joe would be just as big as it was in the 80's with the big movie push, but I really can't see that happening.  Now bring back my 25th stuff already!   >:(
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #514 on: September 9, 2009, 05:30 PM »
Wal-Mart and Target are now drowning in this stuff, but TRU has done great it seems because of all their sales.  The other retailers are probably going to need to follow suit... but I'd say that this line was quite bit more successful than Indy and Star Trek myself.  I think that the figures are less attractive at $8.00 a pop when you consider that Hasbro owns the license to these... right now I'm losing interest very quickly and once again am considering selling off most of my stuff.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #515 on: September 9, 2009, 06:01 PM »
I don't disagree that Joe was more successful...I will say that the pegs are overflowing with the same figures as 6 weeks ago and are not moving.  Which is what I was referring to in regards to Indy

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #516 on: September 9, 2009, 06:56 PM »
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that.  Most of the first wave of stuff is pretty much everywhere.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #517 on: September 9, 2009, 07:00 PM »
Yeah, the Joe stuff doesn't really seem to be moving much here either - at least from what I can tell.  It is a little surprising/disappointing really, because it is a pretty good line overall and it would have been nice to see Joe have that "pull" that it did in the 80s.  It probably just lends further credence to the fact that kids/boys just don't have the interest in action figures the way our generation did.  It doesn't seem like any movie line really sells well outside of Star Wars though, at least in a consistent manner.

Honestly, although the last bits of it hit clearance here eventually, I think the Wolverine movie line probably sold the best here locally of the movie tie-ins this year (well, aside from Transformers I guess - which was also slower than the first movie I think).  The Wolverine line was much more conservative compared to others, but it did seem to sell through decently.  Star Trek seemed to do ok around the movie hype (Kirk/Spock in particular), but I don't know that any of that stuff has moved in a long while now.  Transformers I suppose is doing fine, I guess I haven't paid as close attention to that lately - although I know the deluxes get restocked pretty regularly at Target.

It looks like we could see a lot of movie stuff hitting clearance in the not-too-distant future.  Again, it is too bad, as I would have liked to see the Joe stuff become big with kids again, much like Star Wars has with ROTS and now the Clone Wars.  Lending further to the focus for kids on video games these days, we had a Joe endcap at our local Target filled with figures, vehicles, and the "Rise of Cobra" game for the various playforms.  The games are all gone from the endcap, while the figures remain.  I'm sure we'll see reports of people getting that Pit playset for $13 post-Christmas :P.

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #518 on: September 9, 2009, 10:58 PM »
I think they overproduced the movie figure.  If the line doesn't sell well overall it's because stores ordered too much.  Maybe they were ensuring enough to go around compared to the usual low stock of 25th anniversary single packs.  Really wish they would have saved some of that production for 25th single packs of the last few waves that never made to shelves.

I'm seeing a ton of Star Trek figures in stores.  At TRU the Trek figures bulge out in that part of the aisle compared to the very low stock of Star Wars figures.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #519 on: September 10, 2009, 11:34 AM »
Viper & BAT army builder sets 

I'm down for a few of each if they ever pop up.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #520 on: September 10, 2009, 12:30 PM »
Did Hasbro produce any generic, nameless stands for the 25th Anniversary figures?  I hate that some of the vehicle drivers and later multipacks didn't come with stands.

I don't think Hasbro made any generic stands like they did for the Star Wars line.  I did a quick search on HTS.com and didn't see any.

The Joe figures have been selling more slowly the last two weeks, but they do move.  My Target store had a glut after that first initial rush when they had 4 end caps.  Now they have 2 end caps, one with figures and vehicles and the other with some 12" and toys for the younger kids.  

I see gaps appear and then get filled, some with stock that I think they're pulling from the back that was stashed when they reduced the end caps but some is from new stock because there have been more Snake Eyes with grey wolf showing up.  I haven't seen any more Helix or Pit Commandos in a while though.

The Target exclusive fig/vehicle (the $10 range, I think) line has sold pretty well and been restocked.  The ATAV and Ferret set of vehicels also sells but the pricier vehicles don't move nearly as quickly.  And I'm not even sure if my Target has even sold one of the R.H.I.N.O. sets (but I'll be happy to buy one for $15 - $20 on clearance).

WM didn't stock figures till after the movie was out but they have moved some figures.  Probably mostly to the mouth breathers that won't make the 5 minute drive up the hill to Target.  I don't foresee my store getting any of the Joe exclusives, however.

Over all I think the line probably did well, but probably not by Hasbro's standards of "well."  I think it's certainly more fun for some of the kids than the Indy, Star Trek and Terminator lines were.

I think Brian is probably right on the $13 PIT sets after Christmas, but keep in mind that in less than 30 days we'll really start to see the beginnings of the Christmas shopping season.  That will be the determining factor on GI Joe as a toy line since it's debut was during the slow summer months and the beginnings of the back to school shopping.

E...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:34 PM by efranks »
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 04:17 AM by spiderpumpkin »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #522 on: September 11, 2009, 03:21 AM »
He wins.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #523 on: September 11, 2009, 04:13 AM »
I hated that kid growing up.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #524 on: September 11, 2009, 09:06 AM »
That Collection is actually about 25 miles from my house.  The local Joe Club went there for one of the meetings.

And the kicker...AireDevon is ...... a woman.  So that's right boys, we've been outdone by a girl.

I missed that trip, but Alyosha has been several times. 

The Vintage Joe (12 inch) and Vintage Star Wars are not represented enough in those photos.