Author Topic: 2005 DVD Thread  (Read 71092 times)

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 DVD Thread
« Reply #390 on: November 8, 2005, 11:45 AM »
I like Danny Elfman, but those music numbers made me shudder.

Anyone buying this?

I just noticed it today, but if I see it for sale somewhere I'll probably pick it up.

That's part of a two pack, "Starwoids" is also included.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 8, 2005, 02:22 PM »
OT:  - I just completed my first and last transaction with deepdiscountdvd.com.

I ordered Batman Begins:  DE the day after it was released and I still have not received it.

Just FYI - be cautious.

There's nothing more expensive than a good deal.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 8, 2005, 02:42 PM »
Sounds like you requested the free shipping - which can take up to 10 business days.

Just call their 800 number and see what's up - they're a pretty reliable company from all my experiences with them.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 8, 2005, 03:01 PM »
One of the worst movies I've ever seen, personally, and I've seen a lot. I personally don't care if Burton's invisioning was closer to the book, I just thought it was a bad movie. From Johnny Depp's uncomfortable portrayal, to the Oompa Loompa's gaudy, multi-colored plastic suits, to the ridiculous kiddie hip hop musical numbers.

I take it you're not a big Oingo Boingo or Danny Elfman fan then...

Those dance/music numbers were the best part of the movie - they were hilarious.

I'm going to have to agree with you there Rob. Deep Roy went up about a thoushand points in my book for pulling those off so well.

I just bought the DVD today, it's going to be great to sit down and enjoy it with my wife and Daughters.

The thing about the movie that surprised me, having never read the book, is that after sitting though the first 80 minutes wondering about Depp's performance and Burton's take on the character, it pays off for me in the closing scenes. The character was a bit of a goof, but in the end Charlie was able to reach him and change him. I like that in a movie, no matter how cliche.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

SilverZ

« Reply #394 on: November 8, 2005, 07:54 PM »

I ordered Batman Begins:  DE the day after it was released and I still have not received it.

Just FYI - be cautious.

I've had slow shipping experiences with them as well, but they've always come through. Hopefully they can address this for you.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 8, 2005, 08:11 PM »

Just FYI - be cautious.

I would hardly be cautious with this site or their sister site deepdiscountcd.com  I have been ordering for years and you usually cant beat the deals, specials and promos they run.  If you cant wait for a title buy locally.  The free shipping is just a bonus in my book.  I average about 4-5 DVD's a month and they all average 7-10 days shipping so no worries on being stiffed.  Ive had one error in the hundreds of dealings and they more than made up for the mistake.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 8, 2005, 08:14 PM »
My copy of cannibal holocaust came from Deep Discount DVD the other day and one of the DVD's was rattling around inside the package - they sent me a pre-paid postage return slip by email within 20 minutes and the DVD was back in the mail for an exchange that day.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 9, 2005, 01:16 PM »
Well, I'm happy that you guys are satisfied with them.  But jeez, Batman came out, what, almost a month ago?  I ordered it the day after it was released.

They told me to wait until the 11th, and then contact them if I still don't have it.  They should offer me a coupon or something to keep me as a customer.

As well, it looks like the Deluxe Edition was pulled from their site.  With my luck, my replacement will be the bare bones edition and I'll have to pull teeth to get that remedied.

>:(

SilverZ

« Reply #398 on: November 9, 2005, 06:22 PM »
Yeah, I was wondering if the short-shipping of the 2 disc was part of the problem with your order. Hopefully they'll come through... a month is too long, even for them.  :-\

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 9, 2005, 07:47 PM »
Just had to give some praise to the Devils Rejects.  House of 1000 Corpses was okay but this surpassed my expectations.  Spoilers beware ...............................

I hate to say it, but I was really rooting for the Firefly Clan at the end of the film.  I'll miss them, but its nice that he wont cheese out with a ton of sequels. Rob Zombie definitely brings back some nostalgia to 70's horror flicks.  Looking forward to what he comes up with next.  Also finally picked up the Directors Cut of Pink Floyd Live at Pompei.  Nick Mason IMO was so ahead of his time.  It has both cuts of the film and I recommend it.  The recording sessions of the DSOTM are pretty cool and some cools riffs were left on the cutting room floor.  Although I was expecting a bit more with the extras.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 9, 2005, 10:15 PM »
I'd agree about Devil's Rejects - House of 1000 Corpses was okay and all, but Devil's Rejects felt like a real movie and had some pretty good stuff in it.    I'd been avoiding buying House of 1000 Corpses hoping that a director's cut would come out, but apparently all the extra footage is lost and Best Buy did a 2 for $20 on the Rob Zombie movies this week, so I bit.

By the way, the door is wide open for a prequel even if they did kill off the family at the end.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 9, 2005, 10:26 PM »
I'd agree about Devil's Rejects - House of 1000 Corpses was okay and all, but Devil's Rejects felt like a real movie and had some pretty good stuff in it.    I'd been avoiding buying House of 1000 Corpses hoping that a director's cut would come out, but apparently all the extra footage is lost and Best Buy did a 2 for $20 on the Rob Zombie movies this week, so I bit.

By the way, the door is wide open for a prequel even if they did kill off the family at the end.

Thank you for the spoiler warning. :-X

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 9, 2005, 11:01 PM »
Isn't there like a standard 3 weeks from release date that spoiler warnings aren't necessary?

And just incase that isn't the case - SPOILER WARNING for the above post by me.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 9, 2005, 11:57 PM »
Isn't there like a standard 3 weeks from release date that spoiler warnings aren't necessary?

And just incase that isn't the case - SPOILER WARNING for the above post by me.

Ok, Maddox.  :P

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 10, 2005, 07:43 AM »

I could see that.  I could also see the two characters who were hired to track down the family going on some crazy killing spree as well.  Not sure the characters names but the one actor is in a ton of films.  Heat, Desperado, etc.