Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design  (Read 126433 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design
« Reply #465 on: April 18, 2007, 12:32 AM »
Chewie- junkyard looks great!  Sarge, I LOVE the statue, that is going to pop!  Ok, count me in for about 5 benches then...
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #466 on: April 18, 2007, 12:54 AM »
Might I also add that I love the Emperor Statue from Sarge as well...  That is a pretty neat touch on the whole thing I think.  :)  Might be one of the coolest ideas in the project  I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 18, 2007, 11:11 AM »
Thanks Daigo-Bah... and guess what... last night I took my first step into a larger world.  I went to a hobby shop and purchased some styrene.  Messed around with it until about 3:00am.  I am trying to see if I can make the wall out of styrene, but think I might run into some issues with the curved section since I'm so new with styrene.  But I did get the back wall pretty much constructed and glued together and this morning it looked kind of cool!  But really this is a very time consuming process and my knowledge and tools for this are limited, so in the end I might have to stick with the foamcore.

:P

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 18, 2007, 11:17 AM »
Thanks Daigo-Bah... and guess what... last night I took my first step into a larger world.  I went to a hobby shop and purchased some styrene.  Messed around with it until about 3:00am.  I am trying to see if I can make the wall out of styrene, but think I might run into some issues with the curved section since I'm so new with styrene.  But I did get the back wall pretty much constructed and glued together and this morning it looked kind of cool!  But really this is a very time consuming process and my knowledge and tools for this are limited, so in the end I might have to stick with the foamcore.

Welcome to the world of styrene.... one GREAT tip that I picked up here at JD (I'm pretty sure it was Jesse James).  Buy "For Sale" signs as a source of styrene sheets.  They are much cheaper than the Evergreen sheet styrene.  I still buy styrene rods, tubes, and "sticks" but I use these much more ecomomcial sheets for everything else.  I buy the larger signs because they are thicker.  I think they are like $2 for a huge piece.

Another think I've discovered - it is sometimes difficult to paint directly onto the styrene.  You may have better luck spraying it with a primer.

As far as Styrene - keep in mind you can use the plastic model airplane glue.  It will form "permanent" bond between the plastic sheets.  I find it much more effective than superglue but it does take a bit of time to dry and cure.

Last thing - Daigo-bah uses "foamies" a lot.  I've also started to use them a bit.  They are great for adding details to things but you can't use them for building per se.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:18 AM by BrentS »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #469 on: April 18, 2007, 06:11 PM »
Yup, signs like "For Sale' and things are in WM's hardware area and sometimes they even get clearanced.  I just got some back at the holidays, pretty thick too (thicker than hobby shop styrene sheets) for like $.50 a sheet, and larger than hobby shop styrene too...  It was like 1'x2' or so I think.  CLeaned them out...

Better though is finding a plastics distributor in your area...  Nothing beats finding that, as you get it by sheets you need a pick-up to bring home.  If you've got the work space/area, you really can't go wrong with that since you have unlimited supplies almost, and can basically cut single pieces the length of a wall like you're working on and such.

For curving styrene, styrene heats easily and takes shape.  If you have a "heat gun" you should be able to work with it, if the thickness isn't too great.  I've worked with styrene in everything from 1/16" thick to 1/4" thick...  Great differences in HOW you work with it depending on thickness.

Also if you're gonna work with styrene, buy plastic welder at the hobby shop.  It's invaluable.  Also get 2-part Devcon Plastic Welder.  They're invaluable tools for bonding the plastic and actually fusing it together instead of just "gluing" it together.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 19, 2007, 11:54 AM »
In the short amount of time I have to finish the junkyard I doubt I'll be able to learn too many techniques or use some of those methods or tools, but awesome ideas.  Thank you.

Regarding the "For Sale" signs - do they cut and "snap" just like styrene does?

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 19, 2007, 04:40 PM »
Are you talking about those help wanted signs also?. Black background and yellow writting? You get them at Canadian Tire   I mean home depot or
 Wahl- Mart?

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 19, 2007, 10:10 PM »
that junkyard looks like it's coming along really well chewie, great work!

here a few pics of one of my market booth's. i figure some of the market booths must be legitimate businesses that are actual buildings, so thats the style i went for. i need to add a few more greebles and i haven't decided what to put in it yet, so if you guys have some ideas i'd love to fear them. i'm thinking mabey a travel agency booth, that sets up trips off world or a stim booth, selling strength, power and speed stimulants, like you get in the kotor games. i'm doing 2 booths, so i will probably use booth ideas, but i'm open to suggestions. let me know what you guys think.....

=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 20, 2007, 12:36 AM »
jedistyle,
If you add some smoke stacks to the top you could make it a fast food type place. Add a grille in the back, as most food to places would be more permanent than some others selling odds and ends.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 20, 2007, 01:18 AM »
Jedistyle,

That looks great so far

I'd suggest maybe some type of lighting fixture or possibly a fan hanging from the ceiling. You could add some type of shelving or racks to the back of the wall and fill them up with all kinds of little dodads.

Keep up the great work.
Fritzkrieg
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 01:22 AM by Fritzkrieg »
Fritzkrieg

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 20, 2007, 11:17 AM »
Replied more at Yak, Jedistyle this is a work of art and easily one of my favorite additions to the structures.  Fantastic design.  I'd add some supply boxes or something maybe something electronic to the interior wall(s), and really like the idea of this guy selling stimulants and the like (like in the KOTOR games).  Awesome.

Also, I made some progress on the junk yard the past few nights.  Going with styrene for sure on this now, it will be more durable and since this is something I am going to want back, that's probably the safest material for me to use.  The main reason I'm wanting it is because of the smelting pit that Owen made, I'm eventually going to use it for my Bespin diorama at home.   :)

This is my third design now and the LAST, thank goodness.

This took a while to build... nowhere near Owen D quality, but I learned a LOT with this the past few nights.  It's modular - 3 pieces for the wall.  I really am liking it, I think considering this is my first attempt with styrene it's much better than I thought I could do.

I need to sand it down still, and add a few greeblies, some more junk droid parts, then paint it.  I'll try and add some sort of dealer shop to it if I can, worse case scenario is the smelting pit area is rearranged to look like a shop and the roller cart is moved to the side with junk droid pieces on it.

If you look closely you'll see a few WIP customs in there too.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 20, 2007, 12:13 PM »
Just a friendly reminder, we have

10 days left!

to get your buildings done. I've already received packages from Diego_bah, Chewie and Fritz. Feel free to start sending them now. PM me for address. I don't want to be receiving things the night before C4. That would be bad and probably will guarntee that the item doesn't make it into the dio.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 12:14 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 20, 2007, 05:18 PM »
JediStyle - looks really cool.  I do think you need to fill the insides with some greebles.  I think shelves would be best.  I'm making a meat vendor for my Market Stall, so I don't care what you use for an idea as long as its not that!

Chewie - WOW!  That looks great.  You've picked up quite a bit of skills already with the styrene sheets.  Looks great!  Just remember what I told you about priming that.  If you paint directly on it, the smooth surface of the sytrene makes paint chipping very easy.

I've got a HUGE update planned but I can't get my images into photobucket.  Stay tuned.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 20, 2007, 05:29 PM »
As soon as I posted the last update, my Photobucket account finally unfroze.  Anyway, here is my Big Update.

All six of my little buildings are done.  They are not perfect but I think they will suit their purposes.  These images were taken outside on a very bright day which really accutentates the flaws (around the masking tape).  Indoors from a slight distance I think they will be fine.

I tried to make a larger building using a piece from one of these smaller ones but I couldn't make it work right.  Given everything else I've got brewing for the UGP, I just don't think I'll be able to make any taller buildings.  I really wanted too but I'm stretched pretty thin right now!

Anyway, on with the show... Lots of pictures sorry  ;)

Group Shot - the streets of Judde Lulos

Building 1 -

Building 2 -

Building 3 -

Building 4 -

Building 5 -

Building 6 -

Now, as far as street greebles, I made this street lamp.  What do you think of it?  I could easily make about 6 total.  If you guys think we can use them, I'll make more.

A few Diorama-type shots for fun:

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 20, 2007, 05:52 PM »
Brent, WOW!

Those buildings all look fantastic.  What a great job you did on them.  Sure you can see a bit of the masking tape outlines here and there but they don't detract from the appearance. 

I wouldn't worry about the height of them, I think it's fine as is.  I like these little dwellings a lot.  What did you use for the doors?  They look great!  I really am impressed.

The greeblies really add some life to these too.  I encourage everyone to try doing that on their buildings. 

As for the street lamps - PERFECT.  Please make a few more if you can.

Awesome Brent!!!