Author Topic: Official Television Thread  (Read 155944 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Official Television Thread
« Reply #540 on: August 14, 2019, 12:45 AM »
It's over. I won't say it was a perfect show, but it was brilliant. Only 27 total episodes. Watch "Legion"!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 12, 2019, 12:49 PM »
Anyone else watching HBO's Watchmen series?  I am loving it so far.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #542 on: December 12, 2019, 11:15 PM »
I'm enjoying it.  Surprising because it's written by Damon Lindelof...but that kind of lowered my expectations.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 25, 2020, 03:16 PM »
With the quarantine in full effect, I am finally getting around to watching a few shows and movies that have been on my checklist for a while.  My son and I just started watching "The Gifted."  For those that don't know, it's a X-Men universe with the show focusing on several new mutants (Blink, Polaris, Thunderbird among others).  Not a big X fan, but it's been a fun ride through the first half of Season 1.  Has a bit of a Heroes vibe to it, with various references to the X-Men or Brotherhood as Easter Eggs, without really telling us which characters were on what team and what happened to all of them.  One of the early episodes even has Stan Lee walking out of a bar - hope they find a way to keep that up or something similar as it always makes me smile.  Definitely going to finish out the season and see where it goes. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 26, 2020, 11:25 AM »
CBS All Access is providing a month free trial.  I decided to give it a whirl and watch the Star Trek show Picard.

I'm one episode in.  So far its not really grabbed me, but its not terrible either.  Since I'm trapped at home with idle time I'm sure I'll watch the whole thing regardless.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 12, 2022, 09:09 AM »
Anybody watching "Better Call Saul"?  The last batch of episodes just kicked off with the series finally wrapping up in a few weeks.

Just like Breaking Bad, the writing on this show is amazing, as is the cinematography.  I'm not a real TV critic, but you can really tell the difference between a show like Better Call Saul and pulpy fun shows like Stranger Things, Ozark, etc.  There are no plot holes.  No goofy plot devices.  No sloppy writing.   

Better Call Saul is definitely a slow burn in comparison to Breaking Bad, but its really picked up steam this season and is downright fantastic. 

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 12, 2022, 09:52 AM »
I'm watching Dave.  I adore this show and can't wait to see how it all ends.

Another show that's available on Apple+ that I highly recommend is For All Mankind.  It's an alternate history show where the Soviets put the first man on the Moon.  They're releasing season 3 now and it's the mid '90's and the space race is still going on!  Just an incredible show although I may be a bit biased because I am such a NASA nerd.

So cool that my new house is about 18 miles from Kennedy Space Center!  The kids love watching the Rocket launches and SpaceX putting up a Falcon 9 roughly every 10 days is not going to get old anytime soon!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 12, 2022, 10:00 AM »
So cool that my new house is about 18 miles from Kennedy Space Center!  The kids love watching the Rocket launches and SpaceX putting up a Falcon 9 roughly every 10 days is not going to get old anytime soon!

Very cool.  Someday I want to see a rocket launch.  Every time I'm in FL I consider it, but then realize that many launches are usually delayed by days, weeks, months so waiting around for one to happen is a serious commitment if you're just visiting. 

I've been to Kennedy Space Center a couple times and its always a sweet science and history hardcore fest.  I remember going there as a kid in the late 70's right before the Columbia took off for the first time and attending a few presentations on all the new Space Shuttle tech.  I can still remember them turning off the lights, taking a blowtorch to the ceramic shield tiles, watching them glow in the dark when superheated, and then only a minute or two later picking it up with their bare hands.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 12, 2022, 03:20 PM »
30 years ago, when I was in school at UCF, I could see Shuttle launches as well as various other rockets.  I actually saw the launches of GPS satellites back then I'm working on orbit support for today!

Today with ULA and SpaceX, the operations tempo is much higher than back in the day.  SpaceX is averaging a launch a week with Starlink among other launches...I was there for about two and a half weeks heling to get the family settled before I had to come back to Colorado for work stuff and we saw three different launches!  Like I said, that's not getting old anytime soon.

Back to the topic....I'm still in awe of what happened on Better Call Saul last night....these next five episodes are going to be a wild ride!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 14, 2022, 12:58 PM »
I was enjoying but not loving Rings of Power. The finale last night has me super excited for s2 now.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Online P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 14, 2022, 01:51 PM »
I was enjoying but not loving Rings of Power. The finale last night has me super excited for s2 now.

I have yet to get to that.  So many things on that I find myself catching up on.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 15, 2022, 11:51 AM »
My fantasy itch is being scratched by Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon right now, I'll probably check out Rings of Power at some point.  What bothers me is that for a show they spent a Billion Dollars on, they have very little of Tolkien's actually adapt to the story.  I've only seen clips, but Galadriel does not like Galadriel should act.  It's just not grabbing my enthusiasm enough to watch it right now.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 15, 2022, 12:29 PM »
If you're looking for spot on adaptation then stay away. If you can deal with an adaptation that takes lots of freedoms but still is new LotR and give the whole season it's due before rushing to final thoughts then it's very fun/good.

I would say if you believe Galadriel has to act a certain way then just skip it.

I am a big fan of the word adaptation not needing to be very rigid to still enjoy things though.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 16, 2022, 02:26 PM »
If you're looking for spot on adaptation then stay away. If you can deal with an adaptation that takes lots of freedoms but still is new LotR and give the whole season it's due before rushing to final thoughts then it's very fun/good.

I would say if you believe Galadriel has to act a certain way then just skip it.

I am a big fan of the word adaptation not needing to be very rigid to still enjoy things though.

Thanks.  I'll probably give it a watch when things calm down. 
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 26, 2022, 10:18 PM »
I finally finished Rings of Power.  I’m not a hardcore LOTR fan - I’ve seen the movies multiple times, read the books including The Hobbit multiple times.  Most of the stuff I’ve really liked, although The Hobbit movies were way too stretched out (probably should have just been two movies).

I don’t remember all the lore and mentioned backstories, so I don’t have any real axe to grind about the portrayals of Galadriel, etc.

I sort of enjoyed the series.  The story was good and the scenery/cinematography was gorgeous.  My biggest gripe was that everything is 30% too drawn out and long.  Every episode was an hour and probably should have been edited down to 40 minutes.  It felt like each scene was three beats too long with extra camera angles, extra dialog, etc. that should have been trimmed.

This verboseness isn’t exclusive to Rings of Power though.  It almost seems to be more prevalent in streaming shows these days where there isn’t a hard time constraint, or even necessarily a clean break or cliff hanger to wrap up each show.  I don’t know if that is leading to lazy editing or creators getting too full of themselves, but I feel like most of these shows really need to have a faster pace - either a shorter time frame with the existing story or more stuff needs to happen in the longer time frame.  I felt House of the Dragon suffered from the same challenge where the pace got way too slow at times with very little meaningfully happening in some of the episodes.

Its kind of like watching the Director’s Cuts for the LOTR movies.  The theatrical 3 hour versions were far more entertaining.  Watching the 4 hour director’s cuts versions were often a bit painful and its clear why they were edited down to a still probably too long three hours.  I know some hardcore fans love the scene for scene accuracy of the director’s cuts, but they don’t make for better movies.

I was glad that Andor mostly dodged this slow pace with its 12 episodes.  There were a couple of slower episodes (Aldhani mission story arc) but for the most part things moved well without too much unnecessary dialog and side tangents.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 01:31 PM by Dave »