Author Topic: Solo (SPOILERS)  (Read 166514 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Solo (SPOILERS)
« Reply #225 on: June 4, 2018, 03:43 PM »
I saw it a third time with my kids and enjoyed it just as much.

Interesting, but my ten year old son's favorite two Star Wars movies are:
1 - Solo
2 - Rogue One

He also thinks these are two of the best movies he's ever seen.  (He's not too critical as he likes nearly all of the movies he sees).  I thought both of these movies were solid as well. 

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 4, 2018, 05:32 PM »
Crazy idea that won't ever happen:

Alden Ehrenreich should play Indiana Jones when Ford is done.

Discuss.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2018, 06:24 PM by Rob »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 4, 2018, 08:26 PM »
Crazy idea that won't ever happen:

Alden Ehrenreich should play Indiana Jones when Ford is done.

Discuss.

Do you realize what you just did to the minds of the "Original" Star Wars fans??

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 4, 2018, 11:29 PM »
Muftak wins Best Post of the Day award!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #229 on: June 4, 2018, 11:46 PM »

I don't have a problem with Solo.  There are some minor things like Han not having or not knowing his last name.  I was hoping they would bring the life debt into canon.  I'm not quite sure what Chewie's motivation would be to stick with Han at this point instead of looking for his family.

I thought the Young Han Solo Chronicles was supposed to be at least 3 films originally.  I could see Han Helping Chewie find his family and that incurs the life debt.  I totally agre about the last name part....would have loved it if that was left on the cutting room floor.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #230 on: June 5, 2018, 12:52 AM »
Agree on the Solo part.

Lol not sarcastically at Rob just completely at Muftak’s reaction pic being 100% accurate.  People will flip even though Ehrenreich did a great job despite all the horse **** posted about him.  Ford can’t do it but man he has a lot of untold adventures.  Would love to see his OSS days now that those are a thing but that’s more actual Indy era.

Man would people freak out.  Just chimps screaming and ******** themselves levels of hysteria.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 5, 2018, 09:24 AM »
I totally agre about the last name part....would have loved it if that was left on the cutting room floor.

The whole family / father issue thing with Han was kind of odd.  It appears he mostly grew up with his dad (at least) but didn't want to use his real last name.  The motivation behind not using his last name and the motivation for leaving his family seems unclear.  I don't ever recall reading about his childhood or any of the backstory, but I haven't read any of the recent novels.

I'm fine with there being a backstory in the novels, but the couple of times he brings his family name and father up in the movie it seems a bit out of place.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 5, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Lol not sarcastically at Rob just completely at Muftak’s reaction pic being 100% accurate.  People will flip even though Ehrenreich did a great job despite all the horse **** posted about him.  Ford can’t do it but man he has a lot of untold adventures.  Would love to see his OSS days now that those are a thing but that’s more actual Indy era.

As excited as I am for one more Indiana Jones with Ford, I mostly want them to get a younger actor so Jones can go back to the 1940's and deal with Nazis again.  They're a better foe than Cold War Russians.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 5, 2018, 12:51 PM »
The box office numbers have been disheartening.  Which is a disappointment, because despite everything that transpired with changing directors midstream I think think movie was better than a lot of fans expected.  I'm still hopeful that maybe we can explore the Imperial era underworld of Star Wars.  A Boba Fett project seems like it's going to exist within that timeframe.  And frankly?  I hope that this isn't the last we see of Han, Chewbacca, Lando, and even Qi'ra.  The prospects of further exploring the Star Wars underworld is intriguing, especially Han's work for Jabba the Hutt.

And on the topic of Qi'ra...  She does conjur up some interesting notions after seeing her in SOLO.  How so? 

*THEORY*
There seem to be some interesting potential links between Qi'ra and Rey.  First of all?  There is a remarkable resemblance between Emilia Clark and Daisy Ridley.  And their accents in the films are similar.  I have heard Daisy Ridley say that was a deliberate choice for the role and that something might come of that at a later date.  Now while the question of Rey's parents SEEMS to have been answered by the events of THE LAST JEDI, was it really?  The mirror test didn't tell us anything other than Rey essentially raised herself.  And Kylo Ren might have been lying to Rey in order to hurt and control her.  Why?  My theory brings us to one of the unanswered questions of the Sequel Trilogy:  what drove apart Han and Leia's marriage?  Was it really Ben Solo's fall?  Or could it have been something else?

What if Qi'ra came back into the mix?  In the events of Bloodline it seemed that Han and Leia were very much living separate lives as she was a Senator.  Could Han have fallen back in with his old flame?  And could that relationship have yielded a child in Rey?  Han seemed to get a sense of who Rey was very quickly during the trip to Takodana.  And Maz Kanata asked Han quite pointedly "who's the girl"?  Maz knew something was up.  Granted, she's Force sensitive, too.  But she seemed to sense some type of link between Han and Rey.  But if you factor in the added family conflict of a marriage broken by infidelity, that may have driven Ben Solo that much more into the influence of Snoke.

As for Qi'ra?  She's working for a former Sith Lord.  She has already learned Tera Kasi (loved that nugget from SOLO).  And since she would now be answering directly to Maul in her capacity in Crimson Dawn, would she have come close enough to him to potentially learn to use the Force?  There's also the matter of some production code names.  For TFA the code name for Rey was Kira.  And in Episode 9 there is a new female character code named Mara.  Could this E9 "Mara" in fact be an older Qi'ra?

*/END THEORY*

It's a theory,  but I think it could be one that might tie up some loose ends.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2018, 08:18 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 5, 2018, 01:42 PM »
I actually like the loose ends and don't feel like the whole galaxy needs to be somehow tied to a dozen characters and their family trees. 

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #235 on: June 5, 2018, 01:55 PM »
I've had the same thought myself on Qi'ra. The box office probably throws water on further development of her character on screen (which is a huge shame) but I believe there is a reason she inherited Rey's name in early drafts of TFA.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 5, 2018, 03:37 PM »
The box office numbers have been disheartening.  Which is a disappointment, because despite everything that transpired with changing directors midstream I think think movie was better than a lot of fans expected.  I'm still hopeful that maybe we can explore the Imperial era underworld of Star Wars.  A Boba Fett project seems like it's going to exist within that timeframe.  And frankly?  I hope that this isn't the last we see of Han, Chewbacca, Lando, and even Qi'ra.  The prospects of further exploring the Star Wars underworld is intriguing, especially Han's work for Jabba the Hutt.

And on the topic of Qi'ra...  She does conjur up some interesting notions after seeing her in SOLO.  How so? 

*THEORY*
There seem to be some interesting potential links between Qi'ra and Rey.  First of all?  There is a remarkable resemblance between Emilia Clark and Daisy Ridley.  And their accents in the films are similar.  I have heard Daisy Ridley say that was a deliberate choice for the role and that something might come of that at a later date.  Now while the question of Rey's parents SEEMS to have been answered by the events of THE LAST JEDI, was it really?  The mirror test didn't tell us anything other than Rey essentially raised herself.  And Kylo Ren might have been lying to Rey in order to hurt and control her.  Why?  My theory brings us to one of the unanswered questions of the Sequel Trilogy:  what drove apart Han and Leia's marriage?  Was it really Ben Solo's fall?  Or could it have been something else?

What if Qi'ra came back into the mix.  In the events of Bloodline it seemed that Han and Leia were very much living separate lives as she was a Senator.  Could Han have fallen back in with his old flame?  And could that relationship have yielded a child in Rey?  Han seemed to get a sense of who Rey was very quickly during the trip to Takodana.  And Maz Kanata asked Han quite pointedly "who's the girl"?  The added family conflict of a marriage broken by infidelity may have driven Ben Solo that much more into the influence of Snoke.

As for Qi'ra?  She's working for a former Sith Lord.  And since she would now be answering directly to Maul in her capacity in Crimson Dawn, would she have come close enough to him to potentially learn to use the Force?  There's also the matter of some production code names.  For TFA the code name for Rey was Kira.  And in Episode 9 there is a new female character code named Mara.  Could this E9 "Mara" in fact be an older Qi'ra?

*/END THEORY*

It's a theory,  but I think it could be one that might tie up some loose ends.

That would be an interesting theory if it pans out.  However, so far, it doesn't seem like Disney has an overall plan for Star Wars.  Your theory would require more coordination that what has been shown to exist so far.  The events of TLJ seem to have been completely up to Johnson with no links to any plans laid out by Abrams from TFA.  However, Abrams is now back for Episode IX and Johnson has said Abrams is free to change anything from TLJ.

Honestly, Lucasfilm needs to take a page out of Marvel's book and layout a road map similar to what Marvel did with Phase 1, 2, and 3.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 5, 2018, 04:39 PM »
I could see the theory working out. Lest we forget Larry Kasdan co-wrote both TFA and Solo, and had the clout to get rid of the guys who tried to mess with his story

I liked (a lot) the restraint shown in "Solo" where they refrained from having Greedo and Boba cameo (When I saw Enfys Nest's swoop gang raiding the conveyex I had a sinking feeling we were about to set up the EU beef with Dengar, too.) Instead, they brought in the surprise cameo and the only thing I could think was "world building" ala when Sam Jackson would show up in an old-school Marvel movie (and having typed that just now, how awesome would it have been for the surprise cameo to be Sam Jackson as Mace Windu instead?)

And now we've had the unofficial announcement of Mangold's writing/directing of a "Fett" movie. I assume such a film is going to serve as much as a sequel to "Solo" as its own thing, and I hope they get to reuse characters/actors (especially Q'ira now...if her final scene turns out to be her final scene it will hurt future viewings...) Let's hope Kasdan can communicate with Mangold about things that seem to be set up going forward. (And for that matter, I wonder what would have happened if Rian Johnson had gone and had a long talk with Larry instead of the infamous short talk he had with JJ.)

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 5, 2018, 06:25 PM »
I liked (a lot) the restraint shown in "Solo" where they refrained from having Greedo and Boba cameo (When I saw Enfys Nest's swoop gang raiding the conveyex I had a sinking feeling we were about to set up the EU beef with Dengar, too.) Instead, they brought in the surprise cameo and the only thing I could think was "world building" ala when Sam Jackson would show up in an old-school Marvel movie (and having typed that just now, how awesome would it have been for the surprise cameo to be Sam Jackson as Mace Windu instead?)

Speaking of Cameos... According to the Wiki and IMDB, Warwick Davis was actually still supposed to be Weazel from Phantom Meance.  I totally didn't think of that until just now...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Warwick_Davis

« Last Edit: June 5, 2018, 06:28 PM by Rob »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 5, 2018, 06:56 PM »
Speaking of Cameos... According to the Wiki and IMDB, Warwick Davis was actually still supposed to be Weazel from Phantom Meance.  I totally didn't think of that until just now...

Yeah, he even gets his own card, too, in the new Solo set.