Author Topic: Obi-Wan Kenobi Series (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 40713 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Obi-Wan Kenobi Series (SPOILERS possible)
« on: June 22, 2015, 05:22 PM »
Ewan McGregor Wants to Jump Back Into 'Star Wars'

Proving once again that everyone loves money.  Or hates George Lucas.  One of those, I guess.  :-X

**adding spoilers to the title as some of the casting will spoil characters appearing in the series...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 03:27 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Spin-Off Rumors - Obi-Wan Kenobi
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 05:59 PM »
I read that earlier this afternoon.  I think it would be interesting to explore Obi-Wan Kenobi's story after the events of Revenge Of The Sith.  And I think Ewan McGregor is a really good actor, too.  In fact, I just finished watching his documentary series "Long Way Round" that he filmed shortly after production for Revenge Of The Sith wrapped production.

I think there have been times where it's been cool to hate on Star Wars.  But I think in the case of Ewan McGregor he went into the experience of making the prequels with the expectation that it would be like the OT with these fantastic sets.  But the reality of making the PT was that a lot of the work was done in front of blue and green screens.  From the perspective of an actor I can imagine that could be a little demoralizing.  You're expecting to be able to immerse yourself in this otherworldly place that informs your performance, but then you're standing on some decorative floor with a bunch of green screens around you.

The approach that J.J. Abrams is taking with the practical effects and sets have to be a much more enticing situation for the actors.  Mark Hamill went into this saying that he would be far more interested if the sequel trilogy films incorporated physical sets and practical effects.  And now these actors get to immerse themselves in the world of Star Wars as they might have hoped to when they saw the original films.  Plus, in the case of Obi-Wan Kenobi?  There are rumors that there are echoes of his past that pop up in the new Sequel Trilogy.  And some discussions have even gone so far as to mention a resolution to the Darth Maul story arc in just such a project.  Perhaps something that even draws from that Visionaries graphic novel.  So I think a Star Wars Anthology film that follows Obi-Wan Kenobi might resonate further than the one individual film.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 10:40 AM »
I also think its just human nature to get nostalgic about past events.  in most cases, age dulls the bitterness of the present and leaves you with mostly good memories of past successes.  Obiwan and Palps were the only two characters showing any life in the prequels...not surprising that people would want Ewan back for more.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:26 AM »
I recently rewatched TPM and noticed that it had the most physical sets of the three while the other two where basically cartoons. Most of the aliens were people in masks. McGregor didn't have a lot to do in that movie and his scenes were mostly CG.

If they did make a one off movie with Obiwan in it, they should go with a young version of him and use James Arnold Taylor. He does Obiwan better than McGregor does anyway.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 8, 2015, 01:56 PM »
There is certainly the possibility that the graphic could be bogus.  But with the rumors of Ewan McGregor returning for an Obi-Wan film and previous rumors of Boba Fett being involved in an anthology film?  It gives you the sense that this could be legit.

This is the first I've heard of a Kenobi film.  Is that just someone trolling, informed speculation, or confirmed?

I'd love to see some Ewan as Kenobi, interacting with Yoda, and taking out an Inquisitor or two.  Heck, maybe even interacting with Ashoka.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: July 8, 2015, 02:02 PM »
It's a film rumor, but nothing confirmed.

That's been outed as fake, so I'd guess it's just someone running with that character's name coming up again and again is all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 9, 2015, 09:56 AM »
There is certainly the possibility that the graphic could be bogus.  But with the rumors of Ewan McGregor returning for an Obi-Wan film and previous rumors of Boba Fett being involved in an anthology film?  It gives you the sense that this could be legit.

This is the first I've heard of a Kenobi film.  Is that just someone trolling, informed speculation, or confirmed?

I'd love to see some Ewan as Kenobi, interacting with Yoda, and taking out an Inquisitor or two.  Heck, maybe even interacting with Ashoka.

Ewan McGregor has expressed on multiple occasions his interest in doing an Obi-Wan Kenobi anthology film.  He said as much recently in a Hollywood Reporter article that ran on June 22nd.

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: July 9, 2015, 10:42 AM »
I'm kinda torn on Kenobi.  On one hand, I'd like to see Ewan reprise the role for a new movie about old Ben...  but on the other hand, what does he do?

I've always kind of imagined he just lived out his days in the desert, studying Jedi stuff and watching over Luke.  I just assumed he never really did much because why would he? 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 9, 2015, 11:21 AM »
I think Ewan was a great PT Obi-Wan.  He captured the essence of what Alec Guiness made of the character in the OT.  As for what he does during his exile?

-He seems to know a lot about Mos Eisley.  He said as much to Luke in ANH, that "You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy".  And when it came to the Cantina?  He offered up "Most of the best star pilots can be found here.  But watch your step.  This place can be a little rough".  So has Obi-Wan actually travelled off of Tatooine between the events of Episodes 3 and 4?  His knowledge of the pilots who frequent the Cantina seems to indicate that he may have employed their services at some point in time.

-There's a rumor related to Obi-Wan Kenobi that's emerged in spoilers for THE FORCE AWAKENS.  And some backstory for that rumor might be in order to flesh out that story.

-Obi-Wan seems to have been watching out for Luke during his exile.  What has that entailed?  Has he been on the lookout for any Imperials that might be searching?  An Inquisitor?  Tusken Raiders?  And Obi-Wan has definitely earned the disdain of Owen Lars.  Just handing off a newborn to a couple doesn't necessarily earn you the title of "crazy old man" without some backstory.

-Yoda said that he had training for Obi-Wan during his exile on Tatooine.  So will we see Obi-Wan in his hut, meditating, learning the secrets of becoming One with The Force?  Or even communicating with Yoda via The Force?  It doesn't seem to be the stuff of an sci-fi/fantasy adventure, but it's a plot point worth exploring.

-There's also the dangling Darth Maul survival plot point that's carried over from THE CLONE WARS.  The comic limited series didn't bring that storyline to a complete close.

I think there's the material there to make a film.  But it's in a somewhat unenviable position of having to touch on what may be some very specific plot points.  And I think that was one of the pitfalls of the prequels, where all of these very particular events needed to be addressed.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2015, 11:22 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 9, 2015, 11:22 AM »
I've always kind of imagined he just lived out his days in the desert, studying Jedi stuff and watching over Luke.  I just assumed he never really did much because why would he?

Exactly.  I doubt he'd leave Tatooine to fight an Inquisitor.  And if he's fighting Inquisitors on Tatooine, that would ring bells that Tatooine is a hot spot for Jedi activity.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: July 9, 2015, 11:44 AM »
There's enormous potential for an Obi-Wan movie (or movies). It's unrealistic he stayed in his hut for 20 years and did nothing, especially with him being a foundational member of the nascent rebellion. As others have mentioned, we know from the films that Obi has a somewhat active history on Tatooine: he has familiarity with Mos Eisley (a spaceport, what's he doing there if he's not going anywhere?), he has a contentious relationship with Uncle Owen, and he has some experience with Tusken Raiders. There could be a little or a lot there for a movie depending on how you approach it.

Most importantly, there are two outstanding items I think make for potential stories. Darth Maul is one, as has been mentioned; with his resurrection being canon and his story unresolved at the end of CW, there's some possibility there.

Most of all, Vader. At the end of ROTS, Obi-Wan leaves Anakin for dead. He has no reason to believe he survived. In ANH, Obi-Wan knows who Vader is. How? If he sat in his hut for 20 years and did nothing, there's no way he could know. Clearly they had a subsequent encounter between films that explains this. How you navigate that and maintain Luke's secrecy is the story. Obviously, Obi-Wan leaves Tatooine for some reason at some point, and in the course of that runs into Vader.

I loved Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan. Definitely the best thing about the PT. I'd love to see him again.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 9, 2015, 12:36 PM »
Not necessarily that .  Obi-wan could have learned information about Vader from the holonet or information from smugglers or Asohka.  Anakin was already known as Vader on Mustafar.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: July 9, 2015, 12:50 PM »
In ANH, Obi-Wan knows who Vader is. How?

It's been a while since I watched ROTS, but I'm pretty sure Yoda says something about Anakin being consumed by "Darth Vader" in the Jedi Temple video room?  Right after they watch the temple security video/holo of Palps and Anakin/Vader at the temple... 

I could buy that he would be surprised to find out Anakin/Vader lived, but I thought he knew Anakin=Vader from the Jedi Temple stuff.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 9, 2015, 01:46 PM »
In that temple scene, Palpatine uses "Lord Vader" to address Anakin, doesn't he?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #14 on: July 9, 2015, 02:13 PM »
Taking he knows vader=anakin as a given he still doesn't know he's alive.  You can't let a narrative goldmine like his finding out go to a phone call. Especially with Disney looking to mine the franchise for all its worth.