Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 352251 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1215 on: August 15, 2010, 05:21 PM »
Went to see Expendables last night and thought it was actually pretty good. I was not expecting much at all but i would suggest people go check it out.

I assume the govenator's appearance was just a cameo, yes?  I thought this was a comedy when I first heard about this movie for some reason.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1216 on: August 16, 2010, 09:00 PM »
Went to see Expendables last night and thought it was actually pretty good. I was not expecting much at all but i would suggest people go check it out.

I assume the govenator's appearance was just a cameo, yes?  I thought this was a comedy when I first heard about this movie for some reason.

Yeah just a cameo and actually a pretty funny scene.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: September 20, 2010, 09:16 PM »
IGN's Top 25 Sci Fi Movies of All Time

Just thought I'd share, if anyone is interested.  It is interesting to go through the list, and - as a side note - two Star Wars films make the cut.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: September 21, 2010, 10:32 AM »
thanks, I added about 9 movies off that list I have heard of, but never seen, to my Netflix queue.   ;D

Edit:  actually, I did see one of the movies of the above mentioned 9 about 10 years ago when I was a freshman in college - A Clockwork Orange.  I remembered not liking it then, but I will give it another go someday.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:44 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: September 21, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Funny, I saw A Clockwork Orange in first year of university as well.  Fairly disturbing picture and I had no clue going in but it sure was popular with the university crowd. 

List is quite good, IMO.  I've seen every movie on the list a couple of times at least except for one: ET. 

Oh, and I do wish that everyone that loves Avatar and defends it would go out and watch Ferngully to find out just how unoriginal the damn thing is.  Yes, visually it's stunning but plotwise it's geared at six year olds.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: September 21, 2010, 03:09 PM »
Ok, of the 25 I have seen a total of 5. And the other 20 hold about Zero interest for me.  
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:15 PM by Paul »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: September 21, 2010, 03:39 PM »
Ok, of the 25 I have seen a total of 5. And the other 20 hold about Zero interst for me. 

I hope 2 of the 5 were in the top 5, Paul.  ;)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: September 21, 2010, 08:32 PM »
That's an interesting list, and not unlike other lists I've seen covering the same topics.  The addition of District 9 and Moon being exceptions since they're relatively new.

I don't disagree with the top pick, but I didn't see that coming.  Personally I like Blade Runner, and I know it has a lot of support in sci-fi fandom, but it was still a surprise as a number 1 film.

I've seen 17 of the films on that list and the ones I haven't are older (Forbidden Planet, Body Snatchers, etc) or ones that I considered horror more than sci-fi (Thing).  I've tried to watch 2001 twice, couldn't stay awake either time.  I saw Clockwork Orange in college, but I really don't remember that much about it for some reason.  I was probably drunk.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: September 21, 2010, 11:32 PM »
Ok, of the 25 I have seen a total of 5. And the other 20 hold about Zero interst for me. 

I hope 2 of the 5 were in the top 5, Paul.  ;)

I bet those two were 2001 and Blade Runner. Right???
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1224 on: September 22, 2010, 12:29 AM »
I've seen 17 of the films on that list and the ones I haven't are older (Forbidden Planet, Body Snatchers, etc) or ones that I considered horror more than sci-fi (Thing).

Oh man.. The Thing is an absolutely brilliant movie.  You should make the time to watch it.

I've seen all but 5:

Forbidden Planet
Brazil
Metropolis
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The Day the Earth Stood Still

All but Brazil are way older than me, so that's my excuse.  I know I saw pieces of Forbidden Planet and The Day the Earth Stood Still on TV as a kid, but I don't think that counts.

I've seen Blade Runner several times, and it never did it for me.  Every few years I'll sit down with it thinking "this time maybe I'll get it" - but I never do.

I absolutely LOVED A Clockwork Orange back in college - enough to actually read the original novel.  I don't know if it would resonate with me as much now with me being old and married and a father, but it was a great, inspirational tale of the triumph of individuality back in the day.

A few lame ones in there.  Avatar?  Please.  Moon was a darling of critics, but I found it pretty boring outside the premise. 

And by any measure The Fifth Element should be in any Sci-Fi top 25.  I'd also add Predator, Contact, and if you want to throw in something fun, Starship Troopers.   8)
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1225 on: September 22, 2010, 12:37 AM »
The only ones I haven's seen are Brazil and Metropolis.  I wish I could un-watch Avatar!

Efranks,  If you have trouble keeping interested in 2001...try reading the book, the book's awesome.  Of course when yu watch the film you'll wonder why they stop at Jupiter!   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: September 22, 2010, 09:52 AM »
Brazil is just an odd, odd movie.  I know we saw it when it was in theaters and pretty much left scratching our heads.  I don't recall what we were expecting but it sure wasn't what was shown on the screen. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: September 22, 2010, 10:00 AM »

I've seen Blade Runner several times, and it never did it for me.  Every few years I'll sit down with it thinking "this time maybe I'll get it" - but I never do.

In absolute agreement.  i don't get the appeal.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: September 22, 2010, 10:14 AM »
The only one I havn't seen is Moon. I've been wanting to see that one for a while. I agree Brazil was really odd. I would have added The Fifth Element and maybe Dune.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: September 22, 2010, 10:45 AM »
I would have placed Close Encounters much higher...
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.