Author Topic: Of course we should buy the new TVC repack waves  (Read 15949 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Of course we should buy the new TVC repack waves
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 09:57 AM »
I've been thinking this over recently, and going through some photo archives of Vintage Collection figures.  And it crossed my mind that we probably could use some strategically thought out reissues from the Vintage Collection, especially since Hasbro will be continuing on with the numbering scheme of the original 2010 - 2012 run.  The ones that immediately came to mind include:

TVC 09 - Boba Fett
TVC 41 - Imperial Stormtrooper
TVC 50 - Han Solo (Bespin)
TVC 68 - Rebel Soldier (Echo Base Battle Gear)
TVC 93 - Darth Vader (ANH - also functions as a ROGUE ONE Vader - no need to reinvent the wheel here.  And put it on a ROGUE ONE card)
TVC 98 - Grand Moff Tarkin

And then some running changes...
VOTC Han Solo
VTSC Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues - with new face portrait)
TVC 52 - Rebel Fleet Trooper (alternate face portrait and on a ROGUE ONE card)
TVC 94 - Imperial Navy Trooper (alternate face portrait and grey/olive uniform)

I would be on board with most of these reissues.  Some are characters that just continue to sell.  And others can be easily repurposed to current/recent entertainment.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 10:14 AM »
Along those lines, one figure that needs to happen this time is the Jawa. They can use one of the figures from the last two pack.

I think we're getting new versions of both Vader and the Stormtrooper, from RO, so they may use new numbering. Tarkin and the RFT on RO cards would be fun, though they may try and give new versions of both too, considering they have digital sculpts of the six inch forthcoming. A RO TIE Pilot comes to mind. The bounty hunters.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 7, 2019, 10:10 AM »
Thoughts on all the repacks coming in the Vintage figure waves?

I get it that Hasbro is trying to milk it for cash, but I'm worried this is going to be a colossal peg warming failure. 
- $13 a figure puts these $3 higher than the Galaxy of Heroes line, so not as kid friendly
- 13 POA seems oriented towards collectors, but nearly all repacks is not oriented towards collectors

It seems like a very muddled strategy that is the worst of both worlds.  Either go all new or at least kitbashed and keep it expensive, or go 5POA or a lower price point and appeal to the masses with popular hero figures.

I think the only way to find the truly new figures is going to be by ordering them online.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #18 on: November 7, 2019, 11:50 AM »
I think these will probably sell ok.  Nick mentioned in another thread that the Maul, Obi-Wan and Anakin are tied to the new season of Clone Wars on Disney+...I've never seen the non-animated CW versions of Obi-Wan and Anakin in a store, so I would be tempted to pick them up.  Maul usually sells well, he's the PT Boba Fett.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 7, 2019, 12:22 PM »
We really need some of the Jabba goons re-released for the barge. Would love to pick up an additional Weequey, Woof and Nikto, but the secondary market prices are outrageous.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 7, 2019, 12:44 PM »
I'm all for repacks. Means I won't feel bad about not really collecting anymore.  :P

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 7, 2019, 01:09 PM »
Thoughts on all the repacks coming in the Vintage figure waves?

I get it that Hasbro is trying to milk it for cash, but I'm worried this is going to be a colossal peg warming failure. 
- $13 a figure puts these $3 higher than the Galaxy of Heroes line, so not as kid friendly
- 13 POA seems oriented towards collectors, but nearly all repacks is not oriented towards collectors

It seems like a very muddled strategy that is the worst of both worlds.  Either go all new or at least kitbashed and keep it expensive, or go 5POA or a lower price point and appeal to the masses with popular hero figures.

I think the only way to find the truly new figures is going to be by ordering them online.

It seems to be working so far... I think we're underestimating the number of younger collectors who don't want to pay $40-$60 for an aftermarket figure on a Vintage card back.  Then you've got suckers like me who collect variants and are buying them again. 

Also, it's about to be $13.99, not $12.99.

I think they'll still sell, and if they don't, Hasbro's costs are so much lower only doing new head sculpts that it doesn't take as much for them to do okay on them.   
« Last Edit: November 7, 2019, 01:10 PM by Rob »

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #22 on: November 7, 2019, 07:10 PM »
One thing to consider is if these will even make it to stores. By the time they are released, Targets will still have Jyn and Snoke figures along with X-Wing Luke and Poe all over the pegs. Walmart will likely stop ordering. All just like this past spring and the last year or so.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 7, 2019, 09:25 PM »
If these do indeed come with photo real faces, I’m definitely in for Han and Luke... and maybe multiples of them. Those are my favorite versions of those characters, and to me the new face painting stuff is a game changer. Overall, I don’t mind the repacks to some extent. I recognize it is just necessary for our 3 3/4” figures to keep coming. Not sure if these will be a “shared” (online) exclusive like the Leia/Vader/Han wave...if so it shouldn’t be a problem. If it is a retail thing it is tough to know. Might be better to spread the repacks out throughout waves, but I guess if it isn’t over shipped it should sell through.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 8, 2019, 12:36 PM »
There is a lot of diversity in Star Wars collecting these days, and there is still a portion of the collector base that is extremely loyal to the 4 inch line. I think it will be okay regardless. Most orders will likely come from Amazon or Hasbro Pulse. The biggest issue will be finding mint cards and keeping track of exclusives.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 9, 2019, 11:37 AM »
Does anyone think that there's any possibility that photo-real heads could be added to the Bespin Luke, Bespin Han and General Lando before their release? It seems so odd that these weren't announced with the revision.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2019, 02:53 PM »
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I read a report that these waves would be offered online only, so there is no possibility of them clogging brick-and-mortar retail. I'm okay with that quite honestly. I'll order a case of each wave from an online retailer, just like I did with the previous wave and the wave that included Boba Fett just to have the variants in my TVC collection, so yeah, I guess some might view me as a bit of a "sucker" in that regard. But my hope is that the photo-real detail will be applied to all of the "human" character faces and I have my fingers crossed that the C-3PO will be on a Star Wars cardback as an added bonus.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:13 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2019, 08:37 PM »
Does anyone think that there's any possibility that photo-real heads could be added to the Bespin Luke, Bespin Han and General Lando before their release? It seems so odd that these weren't announced with the revision.

As stated in the thread for that wave, all human figures are supposed to have new photo-real heads but the pictures provided by Hasbro are just the old versions.  That was all they had available (in other words, photo-real heads are not ready to show off yet).  They did add the usual "subject to change" CYA note though.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2019, 10:24 AM »
Jeff, do you really expect people to read every word in every thread?   :P
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2019, 12:28 PM »

As stated in the thread for that wave, all human figures are supposed to have new photo-real heads but the pictures provided by Hasbro are just the old versions.  That was all they had available (in other words, photo-real heads are not ready to show off yet).  They did add the usual "subject to change" CYA note though.

Missed that! Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  :)