Author Topic: Legacy Collection Comic Packs  (Read 214078 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Collection Comic Packs
« Reply #750 on: March 27, 2010, 04:55 PM »
You could kinda look at the Marvel Universe comic pack line as a comparision.  All of the comic packs were encompassing the whole "Secret Wars" story  -which was 12 issues.  Did it do well?  I dunno - it looks as if they sit on the shelf too, so kinda "meh".

Now that the MU line has done all 12 issues - they are changing the comic pack selection - they aren't going to be covering one story anymore - but they are going to a random/greatest hits selection I believe.  So we will see how that goes.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 27, 2010, 05:01 PM »
The figures I've seen at shows are often resin hand-painted prototypes, not hard copies/test shots of figures.  Like you'll notice on a lot of the Toy Fair imagery you can see the pins in the shoulder joints and things.  I don't know if that's the case for most shows, just the ones I've been to seem to be that way.

I believe those actually are the hardcopies, Jesse.  They would sculpt the figure and cast it then create a resin hardcopy that they could pin together and paint.  They use them to check the detail and as the paint masters.  The hardcopies are what get turned into molds.  The first shots are taken from the mold to make sure it worked right.

One extra step that Kenner used to do was to take the hardcopy and create their own mold in-house and create some first shots from it with plastic before sending the stuff to the factory.  I don't think Hasbro still does that but I'm not positive.

The stuff we see in the Hasbro cases at shows are sometimes the hardcopies and then we also see the ones with the lettering on them at times (HFE or something similar), those come from the factories and are plastic first shots taken from the molds.

Some of the recent figures, including Deliah and Nihl, had their articulation joints and everything but were hand painted.  So they could either be hardcopies or first shots.  If they're only hardcopies then there might not be any molds in China which would make it easier for Hasbro to can them permanently.

If they're painted first shots from China, then the molds are made and there's a better shot at getting them eventually.

On the themed waves of comic packs, personally I'd have loved that.  I didn't like getting one issue of a comic that was part of a 4 issue arc because I didn't want to go track down the issues to read the outcome of the story (or what led up to the end in some instances).  The only problem is what happens if you have a 4 story arc that doesn't have more than 2 or 3 interesting characters.  I read through the comic that came with Ki-Adi and Sharad Hett, for example.  I don't know the whole story but besides A'Sharad Hett and Aurra Sing, could you have padded out a larget set comic packs with characters from that story arc?

AT this point if the comic sets are done I'm not going to cry over them, with two exceptions; I wan that Deliah Blue/Nihl set and I want at least Jareal from that pack.  I can't get too upset over toys that weren't shown, but those were so I want them.  Plus, I have to say I really wanted a Zayne Carrick to go with Jareal (Yes, KOTOR had a lot of excellent characters that needed figure treatment, but those two seemed a must).

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 27, 2010, 11:22 PM »
Just picked up:

T'ra Saa & Tholme
Ulic Qel-Droma and Exar Kun
Stormtrooper and Blackhole Hologram
Clone Trooper Lieutenant and Clone Trooper
Clone Trooper (Kasyyyk looking) and Clone Commander
And Plourr Ilo and Dllr Nep came from EE

Is that everything that's currently showing up?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 28, 2010, 08:59 AM »
Just picked up:

T'ra Saa & Tholme

Yes, if you have all of the other comic packs up to this point, you're caught up.

And at this time the only two comic packs left will be a Cammie/Fixer pack from the Empire comic book series exclusive to Celebration V and a Darth Maul/Uncle Owen pack from the Visionaries graphic novel exclusive to SDCC.

We've also seen pictures of a Deliah Blue/Darth Nihl set from the Legacy comic book series and a Jareal/Rohlan Dyre set from the Knights of the Old Republic - hopefully those two sets will make it out at some point, even if it's just the four figures individually carded.

And lastly there was an Heir to the Empire set with a Noghri Warrior & Ralrracheen in the works, and also it seems that there has been a Nom Anor figure in the works for a while, I'm pretty sure the figure would be based on his appearance in Crimson Empire II - for this figure though, all we've see are sculpts (I think).

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 28, 2010, 02:50 PM »
Is the Black Hole/Stormtrooper really based on a comic though? This sounds like something from the super-old comic strip which ran in newspapers.

I loved that strip, but I can't stomach the Dark Horse shiite. Did they just recycle the stuff that ran in papers years back? Or was it more of a "re-imagining"?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 28, 2010, 03:33 PM »
Is the Black Hole/Stormtrooper really based on a comic though? This sounds like something from the super-old comic strip which ran in newspapers.

...which as luck would have it was colorized and reprinted by Dark Horse Comics.   It's in issue #1 of Classic Star Wars: The Early Adventures.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #756 on: March 31, 2010, 09:15 PM »
I opened my comic sets tonight that just arrived...

I pretty much am in the same camp as everyone else on what works in these, and what does not.  All the "new" sets are pretty decent save for two which I think aren't that great.

Bogey Squad and the Black Hole set are my least favorites.  I don't care for Marvel sets anyway so I just don't have an interest in that set, and the Bogey Trooper's head really disappoints me.  That seemed like a goofy choice.  Tholme and Droma's sets are great, and I think the Routine Valor set is a really neat army building set that may be underrated by many.  It's very cool.

I'm going to sell the rest of the case I think, and call it a day on comic packs other than exclusives.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 1, 2010, 01:35 PM »
The figures I've seen at shows are often resin hand-painted prototypes, not hard copies/test shots of figures.  Like you'll notice on a lot of the Toy Fair   Plus, I have to say I really wanted a Zayne Carrick to go with Jareal (Yes, KOTOR had a lot of excellent characters that needed figure treatment, but those two seemed a must).

E...

I too would have like a Zayne Carrick. But, unfortunately, Hasbro said that they most likely wouldn't EVER get to him, thanks to the death of the CP line. But they are most likely (I hope) gonna release Nihl and Deliah in some way, because, well, why waste money developing and finishing a product if you're not gonna release it?  ???

All the CPs I see at my local stores are Leia/Xizor and re-released red/white packaging Bothan in blue tunic (don't know his name) sets. I'm getting angry because it's already April, and the Krayt/Lumiya/Vong sets were released around August, and I have not EVER seen them in person. I'm just gonna have to rely on the secondary market now, being that I don't buy off the Internet.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2010, 01:35 PM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 1, 2010, 02:55 PM »
Just picked up:

T'ra Saa & Tholme

Do you also have the two new WM Exclusive sets?  Those are the only other two "new" sets I've seen in a while.  Sure is a lot of interest in these for a line that isn't selling well enough for Hasbro. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 1, 2010, 03:05 PM »
Yep - I think there's certainly demand/interest for this line, but Hasbro screwed up royally with a couple of bad waves, compounded by Wal-Mart having some exclusives not selling that took up shelf space and caused a bottleneck for the other waves to not be ordered. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 1, 2010, 04:44 PM »
Do you also have the two new WM Exclusive sets?  Those are the only other two "new" sets I've seen in a while.  Sure is a lot of interest in these for a line that isn't selling well enough for Hasbro. 

Nope, I haven't been to a Wal-mart in quite a while.  Are they out and relatively abundant right now?  I could try to get out there this weekend, but it's quite a bit of effort to get to one nowadays.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 1, 2010, 04:46 PM »
I've seen them at 2 of my local WMs, so I'd say they're pretty abundant.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 1, 2010, 05:17 PM »
I've seen them at 2 of my local WMs, so I'd say they're pretty abundant.

I'd say they are out and have been for weeks, but not sure I would use the word abundant.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 1, 2010, 05:51 PM »
Well maybe abundant was the wrong word, but it's shocking that I found these at 2 different stores.  WM seems to have gotten their exclusive act somewhat together.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 1, 2010, 08:35 PM »
Got my case of the final wave today from EE.com.  I like the Exar/Ulic and Tholme/T'ra sets as well as the Utapau Troopers since that's still my favorite deco from ROTS.

I don't really care for the other two sets, Bogey Squad and Stormy/Blackhole.  I've never been a fan of the green camo Clone deco and the Stormy set just is kind of boring.  I may keep that one but I don't know about Bogey Squad.

I'm also not sure what to do with the 3 re-packs.  It would be nice to have the pair of Vong figures and a second Lumiya to display both heads, but I can't decide if I'd rather have the cash back for them or not.  ****...you wouldn't think it would be that hard to decide.   :-\

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"