Author Topic: Tales of the Jedi  (Read 883 times)

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Tales of the Jedi
« on: November 1, 2022, 12:59 PM »
I didn't see a thread for this...

What did you all think of the series?  Aside from the sort of dull opening episode, I thought the rest was really good.  The Dooku arc was really well done.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of the Jedi
« Reply #1 on: November 2, 2022, 03:12 PM »
I've watched all but the last two and I agree with you about the Dooku arc.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 2, 2022, 06:40 PM »
The Dooku storyline was really good. New dimension to the character and we see how his altruism led him to the dark side.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: November 6, 2022, 09:53 PM »
I finished it this weekend.  Possible spoilers below:

I really liked the Ahsoka episodes...the way the training episode was juxtaposed with the Clone Wars finale was awesome.  I also liked seeing that final episode with her in hiding, until she realized she can no longer to that.

The episodes with Dooku were good, but I feel like the final episode should've shown him more grey.  Those episodes were good, but I think they could've been better.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 7, 2022, 08:33 AM »
I mostly liked them too.  Sort of fun vignettes that filled in a few blanks, but that was also the frustrating part.  I kind of wish they tackled more new material and went deeper in some areas.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 7, 2022, 10:47 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed the series.  It's a real testament to where Lucasfilm animation is today compared to when the Clone Wars movie came out back in 2008.  The animation is so rich and the stories are incredibly well developed.  And it was interesting to see the difference between Ahsoka's story and Dooku's.

Some of the little things that struck me?  Casting Janina Gavankar as Ahsoka's mother in "Life & Death".  It's good seeing Janina back in a Star Wars role.  I thought she really helped develop Iden Versio pretty well along with Inferno Squadron for Battlefront II.  And having Clancy Brown voice yet ANOTHER Star Wars animated character in the Sixth Brother was a nice touch, too.

The Dooku story arc was pretty powerful.  It finally helped to flesh out who he was, what motivated him and how he fell.  And now a line like the one Ki-Adi-Mundi said about Dooku in AOTC makes far more sense - "He's a political idealist, not a murderer".  Well, at least a couple of Jedi Masters might beg to differ with that.  But his story across his first two episodes suggests that maybe he was right, and the Jedi Order and it's rigidity were part of the problem.  But going to the Dark Lord of the Sith as someone who might bring about Justice?  That's just naive and misguided.

I hope that we can get another batch of Tales of the Jedi episodes down the line.  It would be nice to see Obi-Wan with a younger Anakin prior to the events of the Clone Wars.  The possibilities for where the concept could go are pretty wide open.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 7, 2022, 11:15 AM »
I hope that we can get another batch of Tales of the Jedi episodes down the line.  It would be nice to see Obi-Wan with a younger Anakin prior to the events of the Clone Wars.  The possibilities for where the concept could go are pretty wide open.

I'd love to see some young Obi-Wan with Qui-Gon, or even young Dooku with Yoda.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 7, 2022, 04:17 PM »
I check out different breakdowns on youtube and realized I don't pay enough attention when I watch the SW D+ episodes. But overall, it's good to see those analysis.

I want them to continue this format and also stand-alone stories like the Tales from the Cantina and Tales from Jabba's Palace books from the 90s.

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 8, 2022, 12:28 PM »
I want them to continue this format and also stand-alone stories like the Tales from the Cantina and Tales from Jabba's Palace books from the 90s.

I'm down with that. I was hoping this might be closer to the old TOJ comics with Ulic, Exar Kun and all that. Either way I would be happy to have a series that can jump all over the timeline to tell stories.
Macklunkey!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 11:48 AM »
I watched them all the other night and enjoyed them. I really, really want that 3.75” animated Inquisitor though.

It was interesting to see Dooku upset about Qui Gon being killed. I assume he knows Sidious is Palpatine. (Worst disguise since Clark Kent!) I wish Yaddle had talked like Yoda though.

I thought the training scenes with Rex, Anakin and Ahsoka were pretty asinine. He wasn’t even giving her any advice or instruction. Anyone who trains in anything knows you can’t just go over and over like that. You need time to mentally reset and focus. That should have occurred over a period of weeks, not hours. He never really was a very good teacher though.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2022, 12:16 PM »
I thought the training scenes with Rex, Anakin and Ahsoka were pretty asinine. He wasn’t even giving her any advice or instruction. Anyone who trains in anything knows you can’t just go over and over like that. You need time to mentally reset and focus. That should have occurred over a period of weeks, not hours. He never really was a very good teacher though.

Yeah, I kinda felt like this was a Book of Boba Fett thing where someone really wanted to know how Ahsoka managed to survive against all those clone troopers when all the other Jedi Masters got killed by them, so they wrote a story about it explaining her skills.  That whole part of the episode could have been skipped/shortened.

I did love how she disarmed and killed the Inquisitor without much effort, which would make sense if most Inquisitors weren't fully trained Jedi before they converted.  I too would love a figure of that Inquisitor.

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2022, 03:42 PM »
Did we know Qui-Gon grew up on Coruscant before this series.

Sidenote: I'm recalling George pulled Stujon... the home planet name of Obi-wan out of his butt as a nod to John Stewart. Wookiepedia still has no reference for it.
Macklunkey!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2022, 10:00 AM »
I wish Yaddle had talked like Yoda though.

I thought that, too.  And so did my kid, for that matter!  And then I remembered something I had read about Yoda appearing in The High Republic series, and the timeframe in which it was set.  Yoda dates back even farther, since we know that he's 900 years old.  The explanation I've heard about the way he speaks has to do with his age, and how people spoke at the time that he was a child.

Yaddle was considerably younger than Yoda.  I had to look this up on Wookieepedia.  She was 477 years old at the time of her death.  And that might account for why she spoke differently than Yoda.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2022, 10:37 AM »
Or it'd be cool to think Yoda had a speech impediment and he could achieve so much despite his 'disability.'