Author Topic: What have you stopped collecting?  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
What have you stopped collecting?
« on: January 14, 2004, 02:18 PM »
With the near death of SW Lego and LOTR (which came back in style!), the certain death of MOTU I was thinking of my collecting history and what I used to collect as a lad...

Hot Wheels (2-3 Years Old) I guess I was big into Hot Wheels as a young, young kid.  My son is the same way right now, he loves cars and playing with them.

Sesame Street Little People (3-4 Years Old)  My first real toys I really remeber treasuring and loving...I have many fond memories of playing with these guys and I am really looking forward to the new SS line because of them

Star Wars (4-8 Years Old)  I stopped collecting these right as ROTJ came out, that 3 year gap got me into MOTU instead...didn't hurt that the cartoon was out then too

Masters of the Universe (7-10 Years Old) Got into the cartoon big time, brother and my first real experience playing together, we split the guys up and had a pretty nice collection

GI Joe (8-12 Years Old) This is the one that surprises me, looking back on kiddom, I was way more into GI Joe than I was SW, I had tons more Joes, I played with them longer, it really surprises me I haven't caved on the new lines or gotten back into vintage

M.A.S.K. (10-11 Years Old) I was collecting 2 lines hardcore in 5th through 7th grade, M.A.S.K. and GI Joe.  Again I have a bunch of my stuff but most of the stuff before this (MOTU, SW, Little People) were all sold or lost or traded for more Joes.

Comics (10-14 Years Old)  My GI Joe buddy got me into Comic Books with the introduction to the Marvel Secret Wars arc.  I was drawn to Captain America and the Avengers for some reason.  Got into some other titles a little but focused on both of them pretty much exclusively.  My buddy moved away (he was huge into Spidey) when I was 13 but I kept on reading for a little while after...

Sportscards (12-18 Years Old) Like some of you I got hooked up big time in the whole sportscard raquet of the late 80's.  I still remember fondly those times, but also think of all the money I blew on cards when I should have been saving some for school.  Oh well, it was a good ride and I love looking through my cards still.  Glad I gave it up too, I am shocked at all of the crap that is still out there

And thats it, everything I collected as an adult, I still am, which is pretty sick, sure I've dabbled in toylines here and there but I haven't gone hard core like I have now.  I need to get help I think and cut some chains...get rid of some stuff and see how I feel

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
Re: What have you stopped collecting?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 02:26 PM »
I stopped buying all the posters and stuff, but that is about it, oh yea Baseball cards too, i figured that since my uncle plays for the White Sox, i am not to into collecting the cards anymore.
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 03:19 PM »
I'm one of the few people that doesn't consider owning  toys as a kid, "collecting", necessarily.  I have "collections" of certain toy groups, but thats it.

That said..

Battle Beasts
GI Joe
Transformers
Go Bots
Invisionaries
Inhumanoids
Centurions
He Man
Mad Scientist
Sports Cards
Robo Force
M.A.S.K.
Star Wars
Garbage Pail Kids

Then I took up sports fulltime.

Most recently, I've given up collecting..

NASCAR
Simpsons
WWE/WWF
Starting Line Up
Star Wars
Hot Wheels
He Man (Comm. Editions)
Movie Maniacs
Assorted Lines

Now, I just buy certain Movie Maniacs and LOTR figs. I'm still looking for a ML Blade, though.

Of course, I've been seriously collecting DVDs since about June of 2003, and I hit 150 this afternoon.  :-*

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 03:25 PM »
 Well I would have to say i quit collecting most stuff.

Sports cards are the biggest by numbers of anything I have. I have well over 1 million cards. ( anybody looking for anything ;) )   I haven't bought any in 5 years. I was big into it from 1981 through 1994.  

I used to have. I really wouldn't say collect. GI Joes as a kid. I looked at getting back into it but figured I already have my hands full with my cars and SW items.

I picked up some of the otehr toy lines as a kid. MASK, MOTU ,Legos, model cars, hot wheels, transformers but I was never big into them. SW and Joes were by far the bulk of my childhood toys.

Recently I have stopped collecting various SW items I had been after. Audio books, posters, modern figures, old video games to name a few. Although for every door that closes a new one opens, so now I am after vintgae items for a retro SW bedroom for my collection
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 03:26 PM by Reconsgt »
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 03:58 PM »
I'm in the same boat as many of you.  I don't necessarily consider it "collecting", but as far as which lines I was most into as a kid and gave up on...they are pretty much the same.  I'll list them from what I have most of to least I guess (or close)...

Star Wars/GI Joe - I pretty much collected these at the same time, most of my SW figures came from the ESB and particularly the ROTJ lines...I was a little too young for the first Star Wars (New Hope, even though it wasn't called that) line, never got any of the POTF figures either.  GI Joe it was mostly around the 83-86ish time I guess, although I do remember picking up a fig here or there later on (the 1989 Snake Eyes comes to mind).  I had just a few vehicles for each line, and I think the figures actually integrated in some of my childhood play scenarios :P.

He-Man/MOTU - I guess this might be up there with the other two as well, I had a pretty good variety of this line, and actually had (and still have) both Greyskull and Snake Mountain.  I still have all of my figures in this line from my childhood, although not necessarily all the weapons.  Playsets really made these fun to play with, along with the "Attak Tracks" or whatever it was called.

Super Powers/Secret Wars - A little bit of each of this line, although I probably had a little more of the Super Powers line.  Figures I remember having off hand are Spidey, Wolverine, Doc Ock, Batman, Robin, Joker, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern.  I still have most of these figures, in varying degrees of condition ;).

Transformers/Go Bots - Again, little bit of both.  I only had a few Transformers (they were a little more expensive to buy myself, and didn't get a whole lot as gifts).  I remember getting my favorite, Sideswipe, as an Easter gift from my parents.  Makes me tempted to pick up the Alternators one that is supposed to be coming out.  I also had an Insecticon (Kickback?), Dinobot (the Triceratops), and a number of the smaller ones.  This is a line that I kind of combined with friends', so we had more to play with then.  I probably had more of the Go-Bots, simply because they were smaller...also had the Command Center thingy too for those.

MASK - This is a line (and short-lived cartoon) that I really liked, but it ended too quickly (at least it seemed to me).  I had my favorite, the orange pick up with a guy named "Hondo" if I remember right?  I had a few smaller vehicles as well.

Baseball/Football/Basketball cards - Ok, this was probably the worse....I had a TON of these, and still do have most of them.  I sold a few shoeboxes full of "extras" at a garage sale earlier this year, just because we needed the room.  This was probably a big of a collector thing for me, next to what Star Wars is now.  I can't begin to imagine what I spent on these things.  I got out of these in the early 90s (maybe 94ish), partially because I couldn't bring myself to spend upwards of $2 a pack for like 8 cards.  In my heydey, it was less than a buck a pack for many, with like 12-15 cards per pack.  A lot of good memories of those times though, all of my friends collected as well.  It got to be too many brands too, when we were collecting it was Topps, Score, Donruss, Fleer, Upper Deck, NBA Hoops, Skybox, Pro Line? (football), and lines like that.  Half of them probably don't even exist anymore.  The last card I think I bought was an Upper Deck Chris Webber rookie card, if I remember right.

Comics - I had a fair amount of comics too, but haven't bought any (other than the ones that come with ML) for a looong time.  Top three were easily X-Men, Spidey (various ones), and Batman.  I also had quite a bit of Iron Man and some Wolverine comics.

Hot Wheels - I had a lot of these, as well as Die Cast Tractors (hey I grew up on a farm).  Still have many of those, used to have a little vinyl carrying case for the Hot Wheels....I think those are fun for almost every generation.

As far as now, its pretty much been just the Star Wars stuff for me.  I have been tempted by many lines, but haven't ended up collecting too much of it.  Mainly, because we don't have the room, the extra collecting funds, or the patience.  I have two LOTR figures (RA Legolas, Smeagol - bendy), two MOTU figures (He-Man and Sy-Klone, although I'd buy a Roboto if I ever saw one), and about three Joe figures (I bought two different Snake Eyes figures, and happened to get a Cobra Commander and Storm Shadow with them).  I do collect some Marvel figures, just the X-Men ones for now (have Beast, Wolvie, Magneto, Colossus, and Gambit), and recently picked up the Spidey 2 Super Articulated Spidey.  Star Wars takes precedence among the others, all the time.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 04:29 PM »
If you don't mind, I'll do this by year's rather than age :-* (same caveat, toys played with, not necessarily collected)

late 60's were things like Billy Blast off, Major Matt Mason, GI Joe (this would be teh 12" army based line, later adventure series into the 70's) and original vintage redline hot wheels.  All of these items my parents were kind enough to hold onto, with the intent of them going to my kids, never thinking of the potential increase in value.  These will end up on ebay fairly shortly with the intent of funding a new, hopefully rather large television set.  

Hockey cards were present through grade school but to my great sadness, many met their fate in the spokes of my bicycle tires including a few Bobby Orr rookie cards :'(

Actually most of those toys carried me into the late 70's when I pretty much stopped playing with toys, around 13-15 years old.  Girls and sports were much more entertaining and toys were simply not 'cool'.  Not wishing to bear the wrath of older, larger and willing to pummel you kids, I opted to give in to the peer pressure.  I loved the Star Wars movies but sadly I never, ever owned a vintage figure.  

I again started collecting stuff around the mid-80's with comic books, roughly the same time as Scott.  Marvel was a favourite with Spidey leading, followed by X-men and associated titles.  Hulk, Cap, Thor, Iron Man and numerous others were in there.  DC also had a presence but much more limited with only 4 Batman lines, 3 superman lines and then Catwoman when it began.  Rrrrowr.  

I collected comic cards at the same time and still have a sealed box of Marvel Masterpieces.  Image came along about the time I got out.  I have 13 long boxes of comics that I'll eventually sell.  Pretty sad but I'd be ecstatic to get about $0.50 per comic, which won't happen.  

From 95 on I have been collecting various lines of action figures with brief forays into other lines (X-men, spiderman, batman) but I always come back to SW.  I've scaled McFarlane sportspicks back to just goalies and skaters I want, but great trade bait for me (about all I can readily get :-\).  Batman, Marvel Legends, Spiderman and everything else but Star Wars are all highly selective now.  They need to be with forays into Kubricks, vintage, Lego and hopefully Master Replicas at some point.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 01:52 AM »
Most recently, I've stopped buying GI Joe and Transformers G1 reissues. The Joes have gotten into really f-ing weird territory, and don't look like the line I grew up with anymore.
I'd still be buying G1 reissues, if it weren't for the $30 price tag on each. Gouging TRU *******.

I'm on the fence about quitting the Marvel lines too. I've never found the figures I was interested in for X2 series 2, Archangel and Cyclops are packed 1x per case in the new X-men line(which I still haven't seen) and 75% of my ML figures have loose joints. I'm severly dissatisfied and don't care to spend more money on shoddy product. I'll decide on that after I see what Toy Fair has to offer, if anything.

Masters of the Universe/ Batman: I got a Batman and Joker from the Batman line, and I'll neer see Mr. Freeze now, so I'm done with that line. MOTU I will see through to the bitter end. I only need Roboto, Panthor, and the Slime Pit, and I'd be satisfied if the line ended tomorrow. This line, more than any other, is a hassle in every sense of the word, and it simply isn't worth what it takes anymore. (Same could be said of nearly any collecting interest, I suppose.)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 03:57 AM »
Vintage SW, Joes, Transformers, Playmates Star Trek lines et al, I collected as a kid and teen.

Current lines I collect: SW and LOTR

I collected Simpsons until this past year.  I love my Simpsons, but budget concerns and the fact that I didn't have an affinity for a lot of the obscure characters sent this one to an early grave.  Still a great line.

I feel bad for Batman and MOTU collectors.  Thank God Mattel doesn't have the license for any of my favorite lines.  Good grief.  

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 07:28 AM »
The two big ones growing up were Star Wars and GIJoe, which was actually the larger of the two.  I still have all my GIJoes in my grandmothers attic that could probably fetch some dough on ebay.

I also dabbled in Transformers, MASK, MOTU and few other toy lines here and there.

After toys ended, I started on baseball cards, comic books, comic cards and the like.  Everything I bought from my early teens to until I went away to college is again at my grandmothers house, just waiting for me to catalog and go through.  I'm sure my grandparents can't wait to get rid of it.

I was in my second year of college when POTF2 came out and with a limited budget, gifts and credit cards (CC companies love college students.  My advice to any college student thinking about getting one - don't. Its not worth it) I was able to keep up with the line and have til this day.

Up until last year, SW was the only toy line I collected.  Many others have tempted me and failed until I finally gave in to the Marvel Legends line.  
Common sense isn't so common

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 11:23 AM »
Speaking of attic's, I went to look in my parents attic last night while I was there and struck gold.

I found 15 vintage Icee cups, a mint Dr. Mindbender, all my 1992 McDonalds Olympic Basketball Cups, a vintage Smurfs bag, complete with 25 Smurfs, and a LOAD of Micro Machines, vehicles, playsets, etc. Would make for a nice MM lot on eBay.  :-*

Maybe you guys should take a look see in the old folks upstairs.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2004, 10:31 PM »
i've pretty much stopped collecting anything that doesn't have a star wars logo on it.

i used to be a hardcore collector of comics, baseball/football/hockey cards, hot wheels, and just about any kind of action figure i could get my hands on. but i had to cut all that extra crap out and just concentrate on star wars.

of course, this is only regarding toys and "collectibles". i still spend way too much money on cd's, dvd's, books, video games, and other computer equipment - and i would consider those collections as well.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2004, 12:22 AM »
Lets see...

(the early years)
Rubber Snakes
Electric Trains
Aladdin figures(Disney)
Hot Wheels
TTE(I'll bet the younger croud can finish this name:Thomas the Tank E...)

(1996-2004)
Jurassic Park
Mars Attacks
ID4
Anthing extraterrestrial
Star Wars
GI Joes
GI Joe 12 inch
Then back to mainly Star Wars in '98
Vintage SW in 99
Then in 2000 I got off and on into 21st Century XD
And now just modern SW and BBi/21st Century XD.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2004, 02:45 AM »
I've found a seller on ebay who sells the TRU G1 reissues at like $20 each, so I think I might get back into those, because those prices aren't nearly as insane as TRU's.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2004, 09:50 AM »
I agree with the others on the list that as a kid, I wasn't a "Collector", but then again, I don't consider it collecting at 33 either...but here is a run of the Toy Lines that have been in under the bed, in the closet and had parts sucked up into the vaccum cleaner...

1970-1977
Johnny West (12 inch Cowboys)
The Lone Ranger
Adventure People by Fischer Price

THEN CAME............1977-1978-to 1982
Star Wars
Battlestar Galactica
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

When GI JOE RAH came out they all THE TWO WORLDS Collided.  And by the time it came out all my buddies had given up on toys...so I had a "Closet" hobby.  But I bought GI JOE and Star Wars stuff till both.  

Then I got into WWII Militaria (right before the stuff started getting expensive)

Then in Grad School, POTF2 came out and I used what was left of my Student Loan $$ to snag figs.

Shortly after that Dragon Started making 12in Accuarate WWII Figures and I sunk $40 a piece into them...I probably had enough of their Germans that I could take of 1:6th Scale France...and I had enough of their Americans that I could probably Take it back...  I "hung out my shingle" and opened my own office so I had to stop collecting something and Dragon and WWII stuff got the AX (and thanks to Ebay got my a good start on my office expenses)

I have since started into the LOTR stuff, but only in moderation.  And I only buy OT Star Wars stuff.  But all through it I have been an opener, so I don't know if that counts as "Collecting".

Offline Bespin_refugee

• Youngling
  • "Intensify forward firepower! TOO LATE!! AAAAAHHH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2004, 02:24 AM »
The first line I remember 'collecting' was Star Wars; although, I did have a few Megos (Bats, Robin Superman, Batmobile). For whatever reason, I stopped during ROTJ and got into GIJoe/Transformers (toys, Marvel Comics), which lasted until the mid to late '80's. I started collecting comic books around 87, and I also collected baseball
cards for a few years.
Around 1990, I started collecting action figures again. I started with Marvel Super Heroes (Venom: "I want to eat youir brain!") and the Batman Movie line; the led to DC Heroes, X-Men, Batman:TAS, Starting Line Up, the various Marvel animated lines, and the Image figs
1995, and "The circle is now complete."  ;)