Author Topic: Retail Prices/Sales/Discounts  (Read 46029 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Retail Prices/Sales/Discounts
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 02:28 PM »
Promo Code Save20 gets you 20% off plus free standard shipping on most items at HasbroToyShop through 11/16.

Legal stuff:
20% off most products on HasbroToyShop.com plus Free Standard shipping through November 16, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. ET. with promo code Save20. Discount applies to pre-tax and pre-shipping amount. This offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Excludes HasbroToyShop.com exclusives and gift cards. Valid while supplies last. Free Shipping offer valid in U.S. only. No rain checks. Not valid on previous orders. Subject to terms and conditions of use and Hasbro­ToyShop.com policies. 2015 Hasbro. All Rights Reserved.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 11:33 PM »
20% off Force Awakens stuff at Toys R Us.

Yeah, means regular figures are $7.19. What a bargain.  :(
Still worth a look for other stuff. Two packs are $12 with that discount.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 10:19 AM »
20% off toys at Target through Wednesday 11/25 - Excludes LEGO and board games. Text TOYS to TARGET (827438) for coupon on your smartphone.
Offer valid at Target or Target.com. Promo code: TOYS

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Promo Code CYBER gets you 20% off and free shipping at www.HasbroToyshop.com through 12/7.

Legal stuff:
20% off most products on HasbroToyShop.com through December 7, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. ET. with promo code CYBER. Discount applies to pre-tax and pre-shipping amount. This offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Excludes HasbroToyShop.com exclusives and gift cards. Valid while supplies last. No rain checks. Not valid on previous orders. Subject to terms and conditions of use and HasbroToyShop.com policies. ©2015 Hasbro. All Rights Reserved.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 04:51 PM »
Another HTS deal - promo code HOLIDAYFF gets you 25% off and free shipping on select items at www.HasbroToyshop.com through 12/14.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 06:43 PM »
That's a pretty good deal.  All these have been.  Good way to get some gifts for the kids or whatever.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Now I can buy every Hero Masher Admiral Ackbar they have in stock.

I like how they made Maul with the spider legs...for 3 3/4? NO. For some silly line that will be gone in a couple of years, he's in the second wave!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 4, 2015, 10:46 AM »
I saw something a little disheartening at a TRU store this morning.  TFA basic figures priced at $8.99 each.  I know the deal with pricing like this.  It's used to gauge what consumers are willing to pay.  But when there's a slew of FO Snowtroopers and you want to pick up another couple for troop building, this is a kick in the shins.  Especially since Walmart seems to be rolling basic figure prices as low as $6.94 per figure. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 4, 2015, 11:23 AM »
Meh. This has bothered me less and less over the years.  With everyone accepting 90 day returns, I pretty much buy what I want when I find it, then end up returning items that I can find cheaper elsewhere.  I refuse to pass up a figure for $1 or 2 difference when there's a risk I'll spend at least that trying to track it down later.  And honestly I expect to pay a buck more for everything at TRU.  I'm willing to "donate" to their cause in the hopes that they don't shut down yet another store near me.  Still grouchy that the closest one closed last year and that there are no K-Marts within half an hour of my house anymore.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 4, 2015, 01:53 PM »
The new Disney era has quickly shown us that in their licensed merchandise model they are all about keeping costs down and maximizing their profits.  The result?  A significantly dumbed down basic figure line at an MSRP of $7.99.  So when TRU decides to trot out a 12% price increase for those basic figures in an effort to see what the market will bear, I'm voting with my dollars by not spending them.  I can deal with $7.99 at TRU, Target or WalMart, but not the $8.99 of these price testing stores, or the $9.99 of stores like Kohl's.

My buying is opportunistic and targeted.  I follow what's showing up at which retail chains at a given time.  If I have to go buy something at a big box store, or if I'm passing very close to a store, then I'll check for figures.  Very often I'll opt for Amazon Prime eligible items to save on shipping and minimize the running around.  The days of going on dedicated toy runs are very minimal these days.

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 4, 2015, 02:12 PM »
The new Disney era has quickly shown us that in their licensed merchandise model they are all about keeping costs down and maximizing their profits. 

Do we know its Disney, and not Hasbro?  Is anyone aware of the contract and how its structured (flat license fee, % or cost, % of retail), and if the contract is any different than what Lucasfilm had negotiated last?  I'm guessing Disney is paid a flat license fee plus a small % of the cost Hasbro charges retailers. 

I would be more likely to blame Hasbro than anyone as I'm guessing they're making most of the decisions on POA, cost to retailers, price points, mix, etc.  Retailers are just marking it up accordingly, and TRU marks it up more than most. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 4, 2015, 02:41 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines.  I don't think Disney has radically changed Hasbro's plans - they were started down this road already with lower articulation and more focus on different sized figures.  This isn't Disney greed - it's Hasbro's long range planning.

As for TRU, they clearly don't have the size advantage that your Walmarts or Targets have.  That means shipping costs, overhead, etc. cost them more.  If they need to charge a buck more to compensate for that, then so be it.  I'd rather that than have them go out of business trying to keep up with general merch retailers. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: December 4, 2015, 02:59 PM »
I don't think Disney has radically changed Hasbro's plans - they were started down this road already with lower articulation and more focus on different sized figures.  This isn't Disney greed - it's Hasbro's long range planning.

I would agree... Hasbro started testing the 5POA stuff during the TPM 3D launch in 2012.  The "Movie Heroes" 5POA packs (Bespin 3-pack; Naboo 3-pack) were designed/developed in 2011 well before they knew anything about Disney buying LFL. 

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 4, 2015, 06:29 PM »
IIRC,  few years back it was said that sales in boy's toys/action figure market were slumping and Hasbro told their teams to maximize profits. Add to that, increased labour costs in China  and things suck now.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 4, 2015, 10:18 PM »
Did a little more digging.  TRU.com is also pricing basic figures at $8.99 each.  As much as I want to support TRU, doing so to the tune of $2 more per figure than Walmart digs into my bottom line too much.  I suspect that TRU may be looking at the sales figures and is trying to maximize their own profits at this time.  At least until new inventory begins to arrive in stores in greater quantities.  The stories we've been hearing indicate that Hasbro and retailers may not have enough supply on hand and have been scrambling to respond with more product.

I suspect that we're probably going to see a price shift from TRU when the movie is released and so are more figures and toys.

Feedback