Collectibles > The Vintage Collection

Will your collecting habits change?

<< < (3/10) > >>

shmashwitdaclub:

--- Quote from: P-Siddy on September  5, 2012, 12:29 PM ---Smash... don't get too worried yet about not getting that BAD because you might be able to trade for pieces later.  Maybe Hasbro will continue with the droid trading place at later Celebrations if you are attending (or someone you know).

--- End quote ---

true, plus I was already thinking/hoping some of the asian ebayers might sell them

Pete_Fett:

--- Quote from: Force Guy on September  5, 2012, 12:26 PM ---So let me get this straight: your criteria for buying figures is that it simply has to have a Star Wars logo stamped on it, yes?  I guess having the buying habits of an automaton makes life more simple in the sense that you don't really need to expend any thought whatsoever in your purchases.

--- End quote ---

So because he is a completist and has made the choice to collect in that fashion, he is an automaton? I'm sorry, I don't agree with the logic you're using to make that connection.

Getting one of every figure made is just as much a collecting choice as it is to say you collect OT-based figures only or only Dark Side characters.

Mister Skeezler:
My collecting habit is going to continue to be right where it has been...only collecting what I feel like.

Just looking at that first wave of BAD, I'm probably only getting Arena Padme, Luminara (if she's a significant upgrade from the ROTS version) and maybe Pablo Jill. Three figures, followed by Mara Jade certainly looks like a slim beginning to the year.

I figure this will be a good time to work on the displays, pick up bits and pieces here and there (like the two Cloud cars I want to get), and buy a new TV.

Force Guy:

--- Quote from: Pete_Fett on September  5, 2012, 01:48 PM ---So because he is a completist and has made the choice to collect in that fashion, he is an automaton?
--- End quote ---

Pretty much, yes.  When someone is a completist, they buy everything.  There is no discretion exercised, no deliberation, no judgement.  It's simply the purchase of anything stamped with a Star Wars logo.  That sounds very robotic to me.  Remember Mikey from the Life cereal commercials?  Like that....like Mikey....he'll eat anything. 

--- Quote ---I'm sorry, I don't agree with the logic you're using to make that connection.
--- End quote ---

Well, we can agree to disagree then. 

--- Quote ---Getting one of every figure made is just as much a collecting choice as it is to say you collect OT-based figures only or only Dark Side characters.
--- End quote ---

It's a "choice" that completists are fueled by their obligation and compulsion of buying everything, including garbage, gimmicks, rehash after rehash, resculpt after resculpt, etc.?  Sure.  When Hasbro releases an exclusive figure of George Lucas molded by a collection of belly-button lint, regardless of how absurd the idea would be, I'm sure completists will exercise their "choice" too, by feeling the need to add it to their collection immediately.       

Force Guy:

--- Quote from: speedermike on September  5, 2012, 10:28 AM ---Force Guy, why do you hate The Clone Wars?  Have you seen it recently?  While there are some bummer episodes (like all TV) I think that when it's on its "A" game, it comes closer to the spirit of the OT than the prequels ever did.  It can be exciting, funny, and thoughtful.
--- End quote ---

Personally, I hate when non-canonical material rewrites the established Star Wars history.  As it is, the PT already does that.  With Clone Wars, it does this on a much larger scale, IMO.  I just don't care for the series at all. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version