Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 212454 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #735 on: July 10, 2020, 12:13 PM »
I’m not an X-Men Marvel collector, but what do you think of the latest HasLab Kickstarter - X-Men legends Marvel's Sentinel for $350?

It looks like its a giant figure with a standard 6" figure that accompanies him.

The numbers are piling up pretty quickly, so it looks like there are quite a few fans of this.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 01:32 PM by Dave »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 10, 2020, 04:47 PM »
How long ago did that go live?  Already past 50% with 45 days to go seems like a shoe-in.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 10, 2020, 05:29 PM »
There are plenty people "army building" this too. I've read numerous people getting 2 or 3 or 4.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #738 on: July 10, 2020, 06:30 PM »
Looks really cool.  If I were collecting X-men, this would be a must have.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 10, 2020, 06:51 PM »
The fan reaction is great.  About 3700 now when it was just over 1700 this morning. Stimulus money? Great timing Hasbro.  ;)

While large, the size makes the postal rate more reasonable than Jabba' barge to send to Haslab buddies overseas.

I was thinking earlier that $350 was crazy money to spend on a 26" figure and glad we don't have that in Star Wars. Now I'm shaking my fist at Lucasfilm for not giving us an iconic mega-large character that can be made into a super cool action figure. And no, Warbot does not count.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: July 10, 2020, 07:12 PM »
I was thinking earlier that $350 was crazy money to spend on a 26" figure and glad we don't have that in Star Wars. Now I'm shaking my fist at Lucasfilm for not giving us an iconic mega-large character that can be made into a super cool action figure. And no, Warbot does not count.

$500, 3 foot diameter, 10 feet long...

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 10, 2020, 10:58 PM »
Nope, I wants my Clone Wars Zillo Beast!  ;D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 11, 2020, 05:48 PM »
And funded/backed in one day....wow. Now on to what essentially amounts to “stretch” goals for the Sentinel. I am a Legends collector/fan, but not sure if I’m in for this as cool as it looks. Space is always a premium, and I’d rather save those larger display areas for Star Wars.

Side note, is this evidence that Marvel is that much bigger then Star Wars or Transformers? I realize there is a price difference, and the army building aspect, but one day is pretty impressive. I guess Marvel is likely larger on a general population scale, but for some reason it still seemed like Star Wars was the biggest collecting game in town (just looking at it nostalgically). Not the case it seems.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 11, 2020, 08:47 PM »
Interesting to see a giant Cookie Monster failed miserably and this got 7000+ in one day.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #744 on: July 11, 2020, 10:20 PM »
I personally feel it says something, Brian.

I love me some 3.75” figures, but this smoked the Barge for barely less really and in a scale that’s supposedly not cool...  I dunno.  Seems cool to someone.

I’m sure there will soon be the “spin” news posts on this but that’s pretty impressive turnaround on this backing.  I think the upcoming TVC one will be telling on how with it TVC collectors are (or aren’t).  I’m in no group that is as miserable, so it’ll be interesting.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 11, 2020, 10:46 PM »
I personally feel it says something, Brian.

I love me some 3.75” figures, but this smoked the Barge for barely less really and in a scale that’s supposedly not cool...  I dunno.  Seems cool to someone.

I’m sure there will soon be the “spin” news posts on this but that’s pretty impressive turnaround on this backing.  I think the upcoming TVC one will be telling on how with it TVC collectors are (or aren’t).  I’m in no group that is as miserable, so it’ll be interesting.

After watching the barge on the secondary market, the demand clearly goes beyond the number of people who bother to back it.  Depending on what is, I’m going to be tempted to buy a second one to pay for the one I keep.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 12, 2020, 07:03 AM »
No matter what the TVC project is, it will not have this kind of showing out of the gate. The recent "saveTVC" petition online garnered 8k signatures total, and that wasn't a purchase, just a signature.

The Barge also brought 8k sales. I think we can see where our ceiling lies. Marvel Legends is showing their active fanbase runs much deeper.

Hopefully HasLab has made their plans based on the data that is out there. It's not going to be this easy for the TVC campaign...because if there is one more piece of data readily available, it's that there is absolutely no consensus as to what big item we want next.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 12, 2020, 12:23 PM »
Regarding 8k and the barge... that was the number of people, in the US only, who were able and willing to plunk down $540 for a massive, space-hogging item that they wouldn’t receive for a year. 

There are surely tons of TVC collectors who either couldn’t afford that, had no where to put it, or weren’t allowed to buy it because they weren’t in the US.  Also, reading comments in YF’s Instagram, I see a lot of younger TVC collectors who don’t care about the OT at all and just want clone wars stuff. 

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 12, 2020, 12:28 PM »
I don't think it's apples to apples.
$500 vs $350
Vehicle vs figure
Really big vs big
No secondary market data vs knowledge that you could have bought two barges from Haslab for price of one now.

That being said you are kidding yourself if you don't think this speaks volumes to where the SW and Marvel toy collecting communities are respectfully.

I'm certainly not absolving Hasbro's decisions over past X years when it comes to SW but I hope this makes some of the loudest yellers think a little.

This Sentinel is like the 3rd or 4th version of him/it. We can't even get our community to spend full retail on brand new vehicles that are really well done (tank, troop transport, etc).

Certainly gives me some perspective.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 12, 2020, 06:45 PM »
I know the two figure lines are very different with Marvel having a historically limited (none?) 3.75" line while Star Wars historically was largely 3.75" and only recently picked up the larger 6" format.

I was thinking through different "big figure" options for Star Wars in a 6" scale, or anything $350-ish in the 6" scale. 

I really couldn't come up with anything in the 6" scale that I would be willing to pay that much for, mostly because of space constraints.  I passed on the 6" TIE Fighter, and still haven't ordered the Snowspeeder, even though I've got just about every 6" figure released.

Maybe its just that for me (and I assume a lot of long time collectors) that when I think of awesome Star Wars toys I immediately gravitate to the 3.75" line.  I'd be 1000% more interested in cool HasLab 3.75" items like the Tantavie IV, Death Star / Star Destroyer playset, etc. than anything that comes to mind in the 6" realm. 

I know we're technically in The Vintage Collection thread, but is there a $350+ item that you would pay for in the 6" scale for Star Wars?