Author Topic: JD Fantasy Football 2006  (Read 70952 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Football 2006
« Reply #180 on: September 3, 2006, 12:41 PM »
Okay.....

QB:  McNabb vs. Hasselbeck, you cannot say your's is "an edge".  McNabb with Stallworth and Westbrook could easily regain his super bowl form from the year before last that made him a first round pick last season.  You can flip a coin here between him and Hasselbeck.

McNabb throwing ot Stallworth is going to bring him back to Superbowl form???  Stallworth is entering his fifth year, and while he's good - he's never had 1000 yard season and he's never scored more than 8 TD's in a year.  The Eagles are on the downswing, and if the SAINTS of all teams were ready to get rid of the guy, he's not going to be their savior.  Westbrook has been dinged up in the preseason too with a foot injury.  If the Eagles are going to have a good passing attack - Reggie Brown is going to be the guy, not Stallworth.  Also, Hasslebeck lost Jurevicious but added Burleson, and got Darrel Jackson back.  The Seahawks should pass all over teams this year. 

WR:  Larry Fitzgerald and Marvin Harrison and his 34 year old wheels is not "an edge" over Terrell Owens and Torry Holt.  You did not pass on Torry Holt to get Larry Fitzgerald, quite the opposite.  I took Holt, and then you took your 2 WR's.  Not the other way around.

If you look at my post, I didn't say I passed on Holt.  I just said I passed on T.O. twice.  You're right that my predictions of gloom and doom for T.O. don't apply to week one, but in the course of the season... watch out.  Harrison and his 34 year old wheels have had 7 straight seasons of at least 1,100 yards and 10 TD's (1,144 and 12 last year), and there is absolutely nothing to suggest that it's going to be any different this year.  Even without Edgerrin James the Colts look like they're ready to roll on offense.  Larry Fritzgerald is a freak and the Cardinals offense should be even better than before with Edge and Warner/Leinart instead of Josh (or was it Cade) McNown throwing the ball the whole year.  Even with that McNown throwing the ball, he still managed 1400 yards and 10 TD's last season while the Cardinals finished 8th overall in offense.  I should add that I valued Fitzgerald over Holt - largely because of Holt's sternum problem.  It sounded like the kind of thing that might nag him all year long - yes, he'll probably be fine.

RB:  Tomlinson and Dillon/Green is better than LJ who lost Roaf and can only run to one side now and Jamal Lewis and his broken hip.  Lewis is worthless without Mike Anderson on your roster, if I remember correctly he did very well for Ryan's team last year.  If I had the first overall pick of this draft, and not the fourth, I'd still have taken LaDainian Tomlinson.

The loss of Roaf is a concern, as is the loss of Hutchinson in Seattle (Alexander), but I passed on LT because of the fact that they decided to go with Phillip Rivers over Drew Brees.  As good as LT is, I think that comparatively the entire Chargers offense is going to sputter until the kid gets used to being a starter in real games.  LT will still get his points, but maybe not as many as last year.

TE: Wash.  Heap vs. Watson, we'll see.

I'll pretty much agree here.  I'm banking on Heap having his best season ever since it will be the first year in his career having a real QB throw to him... in the past he's been an exceptional tight end with Dilfer, Anthony Wright, and Kyle Boller thowing to him.  For this to work I need McNair to stay healthy.

K and DEF:  whatever. 

Don't be so quick to dismiss those two.  Neil Rackers was my best player last year (pathetic) and I don't come in fifth without him.  There were games where he'd kick 5 or 6 field goals or two 50 yarders and it was the only way I won.  Through 4 quarters of first-team defense in the preseason, the Bucs starters have allowed 3 points, and recorded 10 sacks.  Last year while they were down on Sacks (fantasy type stats) they allowed the fewest points in the league, and they look to be much better this year (I follow them closely, that's not just a preseason observation).  Additionally in the last Panthers game John Kasay kicked 5 field goals in a 15-13 win.  Obviously this won't happen every week but I think he'll kick a lot of them this year and I expect the Bucs defense to be dominant.

But yeah, injuries and stars who disappoint is not even a factor here, could happen to any team.  I don't think my guys or your guys are more likely to get hurt than the other's.  Except Jamal Lewis, I don't even know what you're thinking with that one.

Here's what I was thinking about Jamal Lewis.  I was thinking that after picking him in the first round last year, I was happy to get him in the fifth round this year.   I was thinking that he couldn't possibly be as bad as he was last year where he ran for 950 or so yards and 3 TD's.  I was thinking about a rosy piece I'd seen on ESPN with Brian Billick saying that he was feeling great with all of the jail stuff and the struggles of last year behind him and that he'd just gotten a new contract and a fresh start in Baltimore and that they really expected him to return to his 2000-yard form this year and that he'd been looking great in Camp.  Then googled him (through their news section) and found that his hip is okay and that they were just resting him the final preseason game (which he could have played in) to make sure that he was 100% by the start of the season.  Then I thought about how he's only 27 years old, 2 years younger than Green, and how Green is coming off of major major surgery, so I gambled.  I am worried about him for week one though, because the Bucs rushing defense figures to be very stout.  So I still may sit him for this week - haven't decided yet.

Anyways, that's pretty much my draft logic - it certainly doesn't mean it will all shake out this way, but I did devise a strategy for the draft that (as I said, with the exception of Jamal Lewis) tried to take into account injuries, and who a player was surrounded by before I picked them.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2006, 12:39 PM by Rob »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #181 on: September 3, 2006, 05:21 PM »

QB:  McNabb vs. Hasselbeck, you cannot say your's is "an edge".  McNabb with Stallworth and Westbrook could easily regain his super bowl form from the year before last that made him a first round pick last season.  You can flip a coin here between him and Hasselbeck.

McNabb throwing ot Stallworth is going to bring him back to Superbowl form???  Stallworth is entering his fifth year, and while he's good - he's never had 1000 yard season and he's never scored more than 8 TD's in a year.  The Eagles are on the downswing, and if the SAINTS of all teams were ready to get rid of the guy, he's not going to be their savior.  Westbrook has been dinged up in the preseason too with a foot injury.  If the Eagles are going to have a good passing attack - Reggie Brown is going to be the guy, not Stallworth.  Also, Hasslebeck lost Jurevicious but added Burleson, and got Darrel Jackson back.  The Seahawks should pass all over teams this year. 

Not that it is really my place to say but... opposing teams are going to be focusing in on Alexander, which should leave things open for Hasslebeck. I'd say Rob has the edge here.
"This is the way."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 4, 2006, 01:30 PM »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 4, 2006, 02:08 PM »
Well crap, that picture is proof positive of a 1400 yard, 14 TD season on the horizon for Stallworth and a return to Superbowl form for McNabb.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2006, 02:11 PM by Rob »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 4, 2006, 02:34 PM »
Well crap, that picture is proof positive of a 1400 yard, 14 TD season on the horizon for Stallworth and a return to Superbowl form for McNabb.

I haven't even handed you your Week 1 defeat yet, and already you're drinking heavily from the Hater-Ade cooler.

:D

And for the record, I'm predicting a little more conservatively on Stallworth, more like 1,100 yards and 11 TDs.  And keep in mind, my wideouts are so good, that I only need him on bye weeks, or if there are (oh God please) injuries to Terrell Owens or Torry Holt.  He may see occasional action as my W/R if he matches up better than Ahman Green.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2006, 02:37 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 4, 2006, 02:47 PM »
And Rob, Monday Night Football is going to be fun Week 1, because if one of us doesn't outright smash the other one on Sunday, then Monday night it'll be "LaDainian Watch 2006" vs. the Raiders.  You gotta have a 2 TD lead on me exiting Sunday in order to keep Monday night from being interesting.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 4, 2006, 03:15 PM »
With LT on the clock, I'd need a 5 TD lead to keep Monday night from being interesting.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 5, 2006, 11:37 PM »

I'd have rather played you in week 13 or something with a potential playoff spot on the line - to keep it interesting and all.

Since we have 12 teams, wouldn't you two face off in week 12 as well?

Correctamundo.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 6, 2006, 10:19 AM »
Well I plan to have my playoff spot all but wrapped up at that point - but maybe it will be an important match up.  :)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 7, 2006, 12:24 PM »
Well I plan to have my playoff spot all but wrapped up at that point

Injuries aside, we'll both have it wrapped up.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 7, 2006, 12:27 PM »
Looks like Scott's "great football mind" as he calls it wasn't quite so lucid during this year's draft, letting Terrell Owens be drafted 28th overall because of "his hammy":

Sep 5 - Owens is expected to be ready for the Cowboys season opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday. The wide reciever has been hampered by a hamstring injury throughout training camp, but stayed after practice on Monday to run routes for quarterback Drew Bledsoe. "I feel great," Owens said. "I'm ready to go."  Owens is not on the injury report for Week 1.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 7, 2006, 12:35 PM »

Is it just me or does he look like he's wearing make-up in that picture?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 7, 2006, 12:47 PM »
I think he's just shiny.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 7, 2006, 09:14 PM »
Is anyone's fantasy football stats updating with real time tonight?  Usually you get that first week or two free without buying stat tracker.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 7, 2006, 09:55 PM »
My stat tracker is working - but the yahoo pages aren't.