Author Topic: Star Wars film production to slow down  (Read 4260 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Star Wars film production to slow down
« on: September 20, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Check out this article from The Hollywood Reporter and their interview with Disney chief Bob Iger:

Bob Iger Talks Disney's Streaming Service, 'Roseanne,' James Gunn and a Coming 'Star Wars' "Slowdown"

Here's the notable passage where THR asked Iger about the pace of production for Star Wars projects:

Many believe Disney should pump the breaks and not put out a Star Wars movie each year.

I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not gonna make films. J.J. [Abrams] is busy making [Episode] IX. We have creative entities, including [Game of Thrones creators David] Benioff and [D.B.] Weiss, who are developing sagas of their own, which we haven't been specific about. And we are just at the point where we're gonna start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.'s. But I think we're gonna be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that.

Finally, some Disneyland purists are upset that there's going to be booze for sale in Star Wars Land.

We have to be careful we don't let people drink and then go on Autopia. (Laughs.)
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars film production to slow down
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 02:05 PM »
The problem with star wars land is the low capacity. Both rides combined will have less capacity than pirates.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:17 AM »
The ride issue is a bit disconcerting.  Next Thanksgiving/Christmas I was debating taking my family to DW for a week.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 10:41 AM »

Many believe Disney should pump the breaks and not put out a Star Wars movie each year.

I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not gonna make films. J.J. [Abrams] is busy making [Episode] IX. We have creative entities, including [Game of Thrones creators David] Benioff and [D.B.] Weiss, who are developing sagas of their own, which we haven't been specific about. And we are just at the point where we're gonna start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.'s. But I think we're gonna be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that.

The bit about the films caught my attention.  Notably, Iger made a point of mentioning Benioff and Weiss and their project in the blurb.  But the fact that he did *NOT* mention Rian Johnson says a lot to me. 

And there seem to have been some rumblings about the way Disney handled promotion for SOLO, or rather didn't promote the project.  The rumor mill indicates that Iger may have taken some of the negative reactions of fans to THE LAST JEDI to heart, and may have dialed back the promotion for the SOLO release accordingly.  I don't think anyone will go on the record about any of this at this point.  Only time will tell if the audience reaction will shift with TLJ over time, but clearly the reactions to the movie have been polarized.  Does Bob Iger think that's a good thing for Star Wars?  It's definitely worthy of discussion.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback