Author Topic: The Mandalorian (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 183395 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: The Mandalorian (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #195 on: December 28, 2019, 01:01 AM »
The show has just gotten progressively better.  And I think this really cements the status of Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni as some of the premiere Star Wars producers and writers in this new era.  They just seem to get the material in a way that connects with fans.

From a story standpoint?  This was excellent!  It still had some of that Western element going for it.  In this case, it was evocative of the last stand of a gunfighter against an evil land baron who has brought in the cavalry to do his dirty work.  Giancarlo Esposito was so spot-on in this role, and may have portrayed one of the most outwardly ruthless Imperials we've ever seen in Star Wars, short of Vader or the Emporer themselves.

Learning the name of the Mandalorian himself?  His origins?  And seeing his face?  That was huge!  And the Armorer was no slouch herself.  Her scene fighting the troopers was astounding.

The banter between the Scout Troopers was classic Favreau dialogue.  I half expected those parts to have been played by Favreau and Vince Vaughn, who have made these kinds of exchanges their stock in trade.  But evidently they brought in some newer blood, and SNL alum Jason Sudeikis played one of the troopers and Adam Pally (who has some decent comedy credits) played the other trooper.

I'm left wondering how long we have to wait until we get to see Season 2.  And before we get to that, we have the final season of Clone Wars to take in.  That show is potentially going to touch on plot points that impact the story of the Mandalorians!  And with Dave Filoni at the head of that project you've got to know that he will touch on some of the events that were described in this show.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 28, 2019, 01:33 AM »
I believe Jon confirmed Fall 2020 for season 2.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 28, 2019, 10:51 AM »
I'd love to see an EU novel, Clone Wars, comic book, or something devoted to Moff Gideon's backstory.  Maybe its just Giancarlo Esposito that gets me going (he is so awesome in Breaking Bad), but I want to know more.

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 29, 2019, 01:09 PM »
Episode 8 was pretty rad.

I was kind of hoping Kuill would survive with injuries and it was just the Blurg that was blasted by the speeder bikes.

Did anyone catch the robocop reference in IG-11s base function? To Nurse and protect.

I realize this is the first live action of ground forces trying to take down a TIE but I thought Cara's gun would do more damage. I always had the impression that TIEs were pretty fragile. Maybe Gideon has shields added to his?
Macklunkey!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 30, 2019, 03:46 PM »
I loved the series overall, but the Chapter 8 plot is a little sketchy.  They have to go through the lava tunnel to escape the imperial forces and get off the planet.  ..or, just blow up the 10 remaining stormtroopers at the end of the tunnel and make a new home on the planet.  What!?  How did a handful of Stormtroopers take down the remaining Mandalorians?!  Gideon: I've got an E-Web repeater that could roast you all unless you surrender.  I hear you trying to escape, but you should surrender as I could instantly blow you away at any second.  I'll give you several hours to think about it....

On the flip side, IG-11 on a Speederbike mowing down imperials might be the cooletst thing I have ever seen. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 30, 2019, 03:48 PM »
I assumed all the Imperials that got mowed down by the E web and IG11 helped wipe out the Mandos.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #201 on: December 30, 2019, 03:53 PM »
I assumed all the Imperials that got mowed down by the E web and IG11 helped wipe out the Mandos.

Huh?

Moff Gideon showed up with a squad of Deathtroopers and a ton of stormtroopers (notice all of his stormtroopers have well maintained armor) and they are the ones who wiped out the Mandalorians in the covert.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 30, 2019, 04:01 PM »

Huh?

Moff Gideon showed up with a squad of Deathtroopers and a ton of stormtroopers (notice all of his stormtroopers have well maintained armor) and they are the ones who wiped out the Mandalorians in the covert.

My point was it wasn't only the handful of Stormtroopers left at the tunnel end that wiped out the Mandos in response to Justin. But thanks for the "huh"

Can't tell if you reiterated what I said or don't have a question mark at the end of your comment.

You said what I was saying unless it's a question saying their clean armor proves they didn't battle the Mandos
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 04:06 PM by GrandMoffNick »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #203 on: December 30, 2019, 11:17 PM »
Nick, I totally misread your post the first time.  I thought you said IG-11 wiped them out.   :-[

My point was that there were a ton of new top of the line troopers that showed up with Moff Gideon, there were not a lot of Mandalorians in the covert....safe to assume they were overwhelmed.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:20 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 30, 2019, 11:44 PM »
Yeah I see that now. Not the first time my quick post without grammar check didn't come off as meant. I would also "huh" anyone who thought IG killed the Mandos.

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 31, 2019, 11:08 AM »
Nick, I totally misread your post the first time.  I thought you said IG-11 wiped them out.   :-[

My point was that there were a ton of new top of the line troopers that showed up with Moff Gideon, there were not a lot of Mandalorians in the covert....safe to assume they were overwhelmed.

I'm going to assume that Gideon had 2-3 times as many troops when he arrived as were left for episode 7&8. I can't believe it was easy to wipe out that many Mandos.
Macklunkey!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 31, 2019, 11:40 AM »
I got the sense that some of the Mandalorians were able to slip away.  Although the discarded armor also left me thinking that some of them didn't make it.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 31, 2019, 03:25 PM »
It would be cool if some of them got away by slipping off their armor and blending in with the townspeople.  No one knows what they look like, and that might mean more of them were left alive.  Probably not the Mando code to run away or show your face, but I don't want them all to be gone, especially Heavy.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2019, 08:10 PM »
It would be cool if some of them got away by slipping off their armor and blending in with the townspeople.  No one knows what they look like, and that might mean more of them were left alive.  Probably not the Mando code to run away or show your face, but I don't want them all to be gone, especially Heavy.

Yeah, anyone without their armor is dead. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #209 on: January 1, 2020, 06:56 PM »
I figured Gideon has many many more stormtroopers than were there.  Just my guess anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77