Author Topic: The Mandalorian (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 182568 times)

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
Re: The Mandalorian (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #225 on: January 13, 2020, 02:44 PM »
The durability of Beskar seems like it's going to be an ongoing plot point.  What's going to happen with all of that armor that was left behind on Nevarro?  The Armorer no doubt will have some plans for that.  And having seen how much punishment Beskar can take in this first season, it makes one particular character's survival seem far more plausible.

BUT....

There's a character in the Aftermath series of canon novels who lives on Tatooine and has acquired a suit of Mandalorian armor.  That character's name is Cobb Vanth, and his story (if the timeline is accurate) takes place around 4 years after the Battle of Endor.  The novels didn't indicate with any certainty if Vanth's armor was the salvaged armor of Boba Fett.  This was one of a number of subplots in the Aftermath novels.  Whether or not it leads to anything linked to this series remains to be seen.  Given Dave Filoni's role in the show I can see the potential for him to explore some linkage between print media and the series.  From what I've read George Lucas stated that Boba Fett escaped from the Sarlacc, but declined to show that in the special edition.  So this might be an instance of Favreau and Filoni carrying the torch forward and exploring that angle.

Should we assume that all Mandalorian armor is Beskar? It seemed like only Din Djarin's helmet was Beskar in the first episode and he only got upgrades as he earned them. Maybe it's the case that true Mando armor is Beskar for only those who have arrived.

On a different note, I'm going to assume the ice cream maker full of beskar came from Gideon, possibly to lure out a Mando?

And on a final unrelated note, I'm guessing the "retcon" on the Mando way of life relates to ancient Mandalorians rather the the recent Clone Wars era of Satine and Deathwatch. The Way probably has much more to do with the era of the Darksaber. Maybe this ancient connection will somehow include Jango and Boba even thought some CW episode stated they were not Mandos.
Macklunkey!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 13, 2020, 03:56 PM »
I'm assuming the normal Mando armor is not Beskar and that Beskar is very rare.  I'm assuming the Mando armorer does not have a large inventory of Beskar that she can hand out.   

I got the sense that the Beskar that The Mandalorian got as a payment was highly unusual.

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 13, 2020, 04:49 PM »
I'm assuming the normal Mando armor is not Beskar and that Beskar is very rare.  I'm assuming the Mando armorer does not have a large inventory of Beskar that she can hand out.   

I got the sense that the Beskar that The Mandalorian got as a payment was highly unusual.

That's what I thought too. Heavy-Favreau Mando seemed jealous rather than just upset that it was imperial currency an/or stolen from Mandalore.
Macklunkey!

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2020, 04:06 PM »
I thought we saw the Whills in the last season of The Clone Wars cartoon when Yoda went on his spiritual journey to turn into a force ghost.

Although the child is still a baby, he's 50 years old, he's got some rudimentary use in the force and it guides his instincts, but he definitely uses it like someone who is untrained....even though he is fairly strong in the force.

I had to go back and see this episode. The priestesses are not the Whills. At least not completely. It doesnt men thay might not have originally been Whills.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Destiny_(episode)
Macklunkey!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 1, 2022, 02:45 PM »
Dusting this off because I might have stumbled onto something.  I was re-watching the first episode of the series recently because I wanted to check out the Nikto's that were holding Grogu on Arvala 7.  And something I read online popped up when I was looking into the episode a bit more.

Mind you, much of this was about the possibility of Hasbro kitbashing some Nikto's to make this gang that IG-11 and Mando just annihilated in their quest for the bounty.  This was because of the recently announced reissues of some of Jabba's skiff guards in The Vintage Collection.

So I was taking note of the costumes.  Almost all of the gang were the red Niktos, but some were the green Niktos.  And I noticed something in all of their costumes - a red sash.  They all had it.  And then I remembered something from ROGUE ONE with Lyra Erso - Galen's wife and Jyn's mother.  She also wore a red sash!  And it has something to do with Force worshippers and is called the red sash of enlightenment.  Is it possible that these Niktos were all Force worshippers as well, and that they were protecting Grogu - a Force wielder???  I got the sense that many bounty hunters had gone to their camp, but had not returned.  But Kuiil never said anything about them being outlaws or raiders.  It definitely makes you wonder about things.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 1, 2022, 02:48 PM »
I did get the sense that the Niktos were protecting Grogu, but didn't know their motive - whether it was force sensitive worship or just hanging on to him until some future time when his force abilities became more powerful and he could be used as a tool.

My guess is we'll get a Nikto multi-pack now with different sashes to go along with the Season 3 release  ;D

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 12, 2023, 06:40 PM »
The Mandalorian Seasons 1 and 2 are now out on Blu-Ray.  I must have missed the pre-release announcement for this (or maybe there wasn't one), but today is the release day.  Standard versions and collectors steelbox versions are available.  Pretty spendy for either version.

I'm kinda surprised that these are being offered in an at home method when they were a key part of Disney+.  Maybe its been long enough that they figured anyone that would have subscribed for these have long since watched them.

I'm personally glad to have these as Blu-Rays in case I want to rip them for my media server or decide to someday cancel my Disney+ subscription.  Hopefully they do this with the other live action shows as well eventually.