Author Topic: TVC Carbon Freezing Chamber Playset  (Read 9022 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: TVC Carbon Freezing Chamber Playset
« Reply #45 on: November 5, 2020, 12:01 PM »
I wasn't going to get this set, I just deemed it too big and in too much need of extra stuff to complete it.

But demand was there for Cardboard Galaxy to do some of the "extra stuff" for my customers, so I bought one as a business expense and started making inserts to slip up under the main platform to bring the wall of it all the way down to the floor. People seem to like them enough, and with some lining on the back of my inserts (one guy used tinfoil to great effect) they contain the light you might put underneath to get the orange glow.

I just bought a second set (from amazon on sale currently) to finish the circle and see what I can do to work up a backdrop or mini-scenes for under the back gantry pieces.

At the end of the day I think it is a neat set, especially if you are messing around with lighting it and taking pictures with it.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 5, 2020, 12:06 PM »
But demand was there for Cardboard Galaxy to do some of the "extra stuff" for my customers, so I bought one as a business expense and started making inserts to slip up under the main platform to bring the wall of it all the way down to the floor. People seem to like them enough, and with some lining on the back of my inserts (one guy used tinfoil to great effect) they contain the light you might put underneath to get the orange glow.

I appreciate this.  I bought a couple for my 2 sets.  I can't wait to get it set up!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2020, 02:58 PM »
If anyone has bought lights use to light up the display what have you used specifically?  I want to do this and want to do it right.

Thanks!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2020, 12:22 AM »
Depends what your end game is...  I’m planning to run my own LEDs but there are some cool new types of LEDs out there too.  Very small strips and whatnot.  I don’t really want bright spots bleeding through though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2020, 09:54 AM »
I would think that an easy way to achieve the orange color would be with a lighting gel.  That would probably help keep your options open in terms of choosing the LED’s that are reasonably well diffused, so you don't get the bright spots that Jesse is talking about.

This might be a decent option:  ALZO CTO (Color Temperature Orange) Warming Gel Filter Selection Kit 8 x 8 Inches - $14.50
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 09:56 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2020, 03:03 PM »
They make these in orange too... my wife has a few she puts out with Halloween decorations...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072NH2FQ1/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_xccUFbNA7HJ9T

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2020, 05:18 PM »
For those looking to run some LEDs, I've been using these guys: Evan Designs

I think they're a husband and wife duo, but they've been awesome with giving advice on the whole process for getting lights into my Jabba's diorama. I plan on getting a bunch of lights for the Carbon Freeze Chamber as my next project.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2020, 09:23 PM »
They make these in orange too... my wife has a few she puts out with Halloween decorations...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072NH2FQ1/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_xccUFbNA7HJ9T

I believe my wife also has bought these.  Now to find out where she has them and try it out.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2020, 11:51 AM »
Got my 2nd opener. Man, this is kinda big with the full platform. I love it, but have no place to display it!
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2020, 08:52 PM »
Similar first world problem here.  I prefer it to my barge tho so if someone has to go into storage, barge loses.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2020, 05:35 PM »
Similar first world problem here.  I prefer it to my barge tho so if someone has to go into storage, barge loses.

Heresy!!!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 2, 2020, 02:19 AM »
Seeing lots of online sales on this, and very few retailers that carried it.  I wonder how this has performed / impact it will have on future playsets. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2021, 08:11 PM »
I picked up a second of these one of the times the price dropped on Amazon, and was finally able to open one up last week. I get some of the complaints, but I actually like it quite a bit. Looking forward to adding the second to it, but man does it take up some real estate. have to figure out where it is going first.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2021, 09:19 PM »
I grabbed myself 2 halves as well just recently for a good 30% off and for that price, I must say I'm rather impressed with it. I think this is one of those odd things that just works so much better when you have it in person vs pics online. It really is quite huge when it's all set up.