Author Topic: 2021 HasLab - Black Series Rancor  (Read 14247 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
2021 HasLab - Black Series Rancor
« on: June 10, 2021, 08:15 AM »
So what do you think will be the rumored 6" HasLab project to be revealed later in the year?

They said its not a vehicle.

Some have speculated that it'll be the Rancor.

I'm trying to think what I would even be willing to pay much money for that isn't a vehicle.  The big 6" items are just so big that I've passed on some of them as I don't want to dedicate the space to it.

What sort of  environment would you be willing to plunk down $250 for?  ANH cantina?  Navarro cantina?  Jabba's palace?  We've got so few of the figures that would interact with any of those I'm not sure it makes sense.

Creature options?  Rancor?  Blurgg probably wouldn't be big and expensive enough.  Not sure a bantha would be big enough either unless they have a bunch of pack ins with it.

I'm not sure anything I've named is something I'd be willing to spend $250 on.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 12:10 PM by Jeff »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: HasLab Project
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 11:39 AM »
The Black Series, "Not a vehicle" and HasLab will lead the conversation in only a few directions.

Looking at HasLab history with comparable properties like Marvel and Transformers, it's usually something big and with near instant name recognition.  With Marvel it was a giant Sentinel and the sweeteners were the added in figures.  I didn't really follow the Transformers Unicron campaign.  And with the two Star Wars campaign there were a number of campaign goals that were added which would augment the vehicles.

I have a few ideas so far:

CREATURE - The Rancor
Possible stretch goal figures - Luke (Rancor Pit), Gamorrean Guard, Oola, Malakili & Giran

PLAYSET - The Mos Eisley Cantina
This should probably include at least one figure to start - Wuher, the bartender seems like a natural start.  If they went in this direction I would also hope for the as yet unreleased original Kenner cantina aliens as starters - Momaw Nadon (Hammerhead), Ponda Baba (Walrusman) and whichever Snivvian you would say is the vintage Snaggletooth.
Possible stretch goal figures - Dr Evazan, Cantina Band

PLAYSET - Imperial Throne Room (Return Of The Jedi)
Include a couple of Royal Guards
Possible stretch goals - Emporer's Wrath Luke, Imperial dignitaries

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 12:48 PM »
I'm just not sure that I'd pay $250 for any of that.

Maybe if the cantina included a handful of figures I would go for it.  You can't have a cantina without Hammerhead, Walrus Man, and Snaggletooth.

I'd still be a bit torn depending on how big this is.  I'm just not looking for a massive 6" scale item.

I'd be a lot more interested if they made the cantina in a 3.75" scale.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 9, 2021, 03:48 PM »
So does the Hasbro Pulse Con exclusive bar and 3 figures influence our thinking here?

Do you think that they would build out the bar much further with a HasLab project?  Maybe a couple of alcoves and tables, plus 4-5 figures?  I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense.

I'm thinking more and more it might be a Jabba's throne playset with dais, hookah, etc.  Maybe a spot for Han in Carbonite and a few other alcoves, along with a handful of figures - maybe the Max Rebo band.  This could do double duty for environments for The Book of Boba Fett.

I'm still not sure I'd pay $250 for that...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 11:36 AM »
The cat might be out of the bag.  Check out today's Hasbro Star Wars Collector Media Q&A Session.  I was shocked to hear it revealed as an off-hand remark as it was.  There was also what appeared to be some back peddling at the end of the session - I'm thinking that someone goofed in a big way!

And no, it's not a surprise for everyone who has been postulating just what this item might be.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 11:41 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 12:47 PM »
The cat might be out of the bag.  Check out today's Hasbro Star Wars Collector Media Q&A Session.  I was shocked to hear it revealed as an off-hand remark as it was.  There was also what appeared to be some back peddling at the end of the session - I'm thinking that someone goofed in a big way!

And no, it's not a surprise for everyone who has been postulating just what this item might be.

Ha!  You can see the "oh ****" deer in the headlights look that Patrick has when he let it slip (about the 2 minute mark) that it'll be the Rancor. 

I have no idea how they're going to pull this off in a way that makes any sense for the collectors out there unless they've got a Steve Sansweet Star Wars warehouse.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 01:28 PM »
Rancor..... No

Stretch runs Oola, Malakili, etc etc then ugh...... maybe?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 05:32 PM »
I don’t know what to think if this is true. I have been all in with anything from the OT, specifically with Black Series, but I can’t imagine the size/price of this behemoth. Plus, I personally collect too many things anyways, so space is always an issue. I’ve already gotten the barge, and backed the crest, and our house is only so big. Very cool that they are making it though.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 10:41 AM »
The leak from yesterday just got an additional confirmation in the New York Times, which ran an article about crowd funding campaigns by toy manufacturers.

Next up: Hasbro is planning a crowdfunding project for the Rancor from “Return of the Jedi,” the first product from its premier Star Wars: The Black Series line to appear on HasLab. The company also teased an image of Galactus, a supervillain from Marvel Comics, as a toy that looks large enough to consume an actual planet.

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 10:55 AM »
That was too funny…glad it was him and not one of the designers. To me this was the obvious choice here, it will have to be big enough to fit the Gammy in his mouth, so that’s pretty big. I can’t see them throwing in a newly tooled figure like Malakili but I could def see a battle damaged Luke and or Guard. Gonna need that skull accessory too, and I guess the leg bone or whatever that Luke jams in his mouth.

Can’t believe I gotta buy this AND Galactus!  :'( ;)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 12:27 PM »
The leak from yesterday just got an additional confirmation in the New York Times, which ran an article about crowd funding campaigns by toy manufacturers.

It's up on StarWars.com as well now...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 HasLab Black Series Rancor
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 01:35 PM »
If nothing else, this announcement-to-cover-their-butts-after the-slip makes Patrick look like even more of a lying POS. At the end of the QnA he said a certain "character" was not in fact the Black Series HasLab Project, he had some things confused in his mind, and disregard hearing that earlier because you will be disappointed when it turns out to not be the case. Except it turns out it was.

Oh what a fool.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 12:56 PM »
I'm pretty critical of Patrick for his overall lack of enthusiasm in livestreams as well as what seems like a lack of knowledge of the Star Wars IP, which could be misconstrued because of the aforementioned lack of enthusiasm, but I genuinely felt bad for him after the Rancor slip.

Since I'm not that big of a Black Series 6" collector, I most likely will not be backing this, but I am curious to see what the designers have come up with!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 03:02 PM »
The campaign goes live today!

9,000 Backers needed

1st stretch goal unlocked at 11,000 backers

2nd stretch goal unlocked at 13,500 backers

PRICE -  $349.99
CAMPAIGN ENDS - December 6th
SHIPS - Spring 2023

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 03:23 PM »
Linky: https://hasbropulse.com/collections/haslab/products/star-wars-the-black-series-rancor?fbclid=IwAR01lBqZYejIX6RbZrGM6riyQE04ifFYprh2xXagBUFbubPN6JRSUGXv3Lw

Up to almost 1k backers already, so I don't think they'll have a hard time hitting 9k.  Still on the fence myself - I like it, but I don't love it.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today