Author Topic: Batman - The Dark Knight  (Read 45718 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Batman - The Dark Knight
« Reply #300 on: November 12, 2008, 09:38 AM »
You have got to be ******* kidding me!  ::)   ::)

Holy court action! Can 'Dark Knight' beat Turkish mayor?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #301 on: November 12, 2008, 09:46 AM »
Ha. ::)

Some people will do anything for a buck. I wonder how long it takes for this suit to get thrown out?
"This is the way."

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 13, 2008, 10:35 PM »
Just a note that town was named 'Batman' in the 50's. So DC should counter-sue.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 13, 2008, 11:04 PM »
Just a note that town was named 'Batman' in the 50's. So DC should counter-sue.

According to Wikipedia (taking a story by The Guardian) the town did sue DC Comics and DC comics settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.  Here the link: Mayor Kalkan Sues DC

In August 2007, British newspaper The Guardian reported that Kalkan had been awarded damages by DC Comics for using his city's name in their Batman Comic book franchise.[4] However, the 2008 news coverage reporting on the Nolan lawsuit made no mention of this.[1][2][3]

In February 2008 the mayor was sentenced to 10 months in jail for promoting terrorism

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 15, 2008, 02:28 PM »
Sure missed the opportunity at least 5 times with the previous movies in the past 20, and, oh, comics...  ::)

What else... I'm sure there's a Gotham somewhere in the world that feels their image has been destroyed (Just think of how many Springfields there are in the States that probably house some Cobra cell)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #305 on: December 21, 2008, 12:29 PM »
Call me super late to the party but I just saw this last night.  It was good but I really didn't think it was great.  In fact, I thought Iron Man was as good and maybe even better.  Yeah, Ledger was fantastic...but the plot was way too all over the place.   

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 21, 2008, 04:47 PM »
I just saw Iron Man for the first time last night.  However I have to say that I liked The Dark Knight more.  I thought that the Iron Man plot was too predictable, but I did like the movie.  I liked how TDK was more all over the place because you didn't know what to expect next.  Definitely kept me guessing.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 21, 2008, 05:29 PM »
I really liked Iron Man until the end battle with IronMonger or whatever his name is.  It was not bad but kind of a letdown IMO.  I don't know what I was expecting but it was just kind of blah to me.  I thought TDK was much more interesting at the end than Iron Man.  The last 30 mins I mean.  The encounter with Two-Face, Gordon, and Batman seemed to be a bit more edge of your seat or interesting than Iron Man swinging it out with Iron Monger but that's me. 

I will say I am very surprised with how well TDK did box-officewise.  A lot of it had to be fueled by Ledger's death and performance of course.  Overall I just did not think it was a number 2 box office type movie to me.  I know a lot of people just loved it but I really did not LOVE it like others seem to have.  I definately like it and own it on DVD and have watched it a few times.  I just can't say it's close to my favorite film of all time or anything like that.   

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #308 on: December 21, 2008, 10:04 PM »
That's probably closer to how I feel DB...

I really didn't feel that Bruce felt anything for Harvey Dent
I tired of the "pick one of two evils" plot device
The whole side trip to Hong Kong was totally unnecessary and added 20-30 minutes to a 2-1/2 hour movie
The cell phone sonar thing was lame as hell

I did like how Harvey/Two Face came in to being but I don't like that they killed him off

Iron Man was just as good and mixed in a lot more humor which I guess I prefer to the gritiness and darkness presented in TDK.  Different Strokes for Different Folks I guess...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 22, 2008, 09:30 AM »
I can see where you guys are coming from as well.  Like everyone else, I really enjoyed the Dark Knight - but I didn't quite get that it was the "end all be all" of movies ever that some people seem to feel it is.  Its a great movie, with a wonderful cast and its well acted...and I think all the acclaim Ledger's performance has gotten is well deserved.  There's nothing that I really disliked about it at all, but I thought Iron Man was every bit as good.  Granted, totally different movies, but in their own way I thought both were great.  Iron Man is a little more fun escapism, where Batman is more realistic in tone, and is quite dark.  I think we discussed this here around the time of release, but I didn't like all the comments were basically every superhero franchise has to do it "like the Dark Knight" in reference to the gritty-ness, realism, etc.  It works perfectly for Batman, but it doesn't work for every hero.  Someone like Daredevil, maybe, but the likes of Spidey, Superman, Green Lantern, or others - not so much.

Something I really like about the Batman characters is there have been so many different interpretations of how to portray the character, and I've liked many of them.  Begins and TDK are great movies that I really enjoy, but I still think the Animated Series version is my favorite Batman of all time.  Just the right mix of realism and brooding without being quite so overly dark.  Anyways, Dark Knight, still a great movie :).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #310 on: December 22, 2008, 10:12 AM »
Iron Man was just as good and mixed in a lot more humor which I guess I prefer to the gritiness and darkness presented in TDK.  Different Strokes for Different Folks I guess...

I don't think you Marvel nerds will ever really understand "teh awes0me" that is TDK (or Batman in general).  Go home and play with your spidermans and let us enjoy our movie.   ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #311 on: December 22, 2008, 10:55 AM »
Best.
Batman.
Ever.

Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 22, 2008, 11:18 AM »

:D

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 22, 2008, 11:28 AM »
I have to admit, when I was a kid, a local station played repeats of that old Batman series every day after school (I think at around 4:30), and I caught it about every day.  Sure, I can see why its so lame now, but as a kid, I liked it just fine.  I happened to catch a little bit of the movie on cable last week, and was laughing outloud how fake the shark was that "attacked" Batman at the beginning - plus the assortment of anti-marine creature sprays that Batman and Robin had aboard the "Bat Copter".  Definitely a reminder of how silly that show was.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 22, 2008, 11:42 AM »
Relive the shark!  :D