Author Topic: Jarhead  (Read 6249 times)

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
Re: Jarhead
« Reply #30 on: November 7, 2005, 11:17 AM »
I think I see the problem here....the Air Force just doesn't have any cool movies about it.  The Navy has Top Gun and Officer and a Gentleman, the Army has TONS of movies, Saving Private Ryan, Patton, etc.  The Marines possibly have Jarhead.

What's the Air Force have?  Iron Eagle...a movie where a bunch of teenagers commandeerr every high security portion of an AF base, requisition a couple of F-16's and go on a mission.   ::)

And don't get me started on Wargames!

Stealth wasn't realistic?  ???

;)

I think the reason we(the AF) haven't gotten the noteriety in films is because of the crap films like Iron Eagle and Stealth- it kind of intimidates newer AF film proposals-preventing them from ever happening.

I know we're not cursed but ...come on a good film already

well, I did think independance day was decent

I agree, Independence Day was good. I read somewhere a long time ago that the air force wouldn't promote the movie unless they took out the parts about Area 51, which of course they didn't. I do also agree that there needs to be a new realistic AF movie. It seems everytime they do make one, it is sci-fi like ID4 or Stealth, but when you think about it, the AF is very interesting on its own without all that fictional stuff thrown in.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #31 on: November 7, 2005, 11:32 AM »
So did anybody see the movie Jarhead over the weekend?

Hoo-rah?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 7, 2005, 12:22 PM »
One thing that irked me about ID4 (after I went into the AF) was the gate guards at the desert base.  I'm guessing that was Area 51.

Since when the hell did gate guards start toting MP5's?  An MP5 is a CQB weapon, not for shooting over open areas.  The weapon of choice would be an M16 or an M4, depending on the armory of the unit.

Also, the SP's at the gate would have head gear and would not be wearing black.  Nothing says shoot me like wearing black in a brown desert. 

Another thing, no SP in his right mind is going to allow a fleet of cars and trucks into a controlled are (Area 51) without authorization, especially into a sensitive area, no matter what the cargo may be.

Just my .02 being a former SP. 

Inaccuracy is one thing that drives me nuts about military movies.  I try to avoid thinking about it now because "it's only a movie."
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 7, 2005, 06:27 PM »
sadly the SP on my base do wear green BDU and black berets and my base is in the desert

That an SP would allow 50 vehicles at once- true never would happen at a controlled area like that

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 7, 2005, 06:43 PM »
Slothus, what is your home station?

BTW, I hate to correct you, but the beret  is navy blue...as if it really matters.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2005, 06:57 AM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 9, 2005, 02:10 AM »
I just got back from seeing this. Fantastic movie! Beautifully photographed, every performance was spot on and it defied a lot of the war movie cliches that you come to expect. Bravo.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2005, 01:31 AM »
I've deployed but haven't seen any "action" myself so...I wouldn't be able to assess what's real in a movie simulation.
Well...I Do know that Heraldo Bastard was close enough to see it.