Author Topic: ANOVOS Prop Replica Clothing, Armor, and Helmets  (Read 14233 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: ANOVOS Prop Replica Clothing, Armor, and Helmets
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 04:38 PM »
Thanks for posting Matt.  It will be nice to watch a pro do this step by step and hopefully have a forum to ask dumb questions.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 09:34 PM »
Some new offerings from Anovos:

Kylo Ren costume without Helmet.

Kylo Ren Costume with Helmet.

Premier Line First Order Stormtrooper Helmet.

I like the new FO Trooper helmet.  It's the same one that was in the original kits available to only the 501st Legions for Celebration.  From what I've read about it, it's about 8 lbs!  Nice helmet but kind of heavy for trooping in.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 02:57 PM »
FInally got mine and now I am gonna get rid of it.  I just don't have time to assemble and will never wear it.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 04:49 PM »
That sucks Paul.  I'm still working on assembly of mine, as soon as I get some magnets I'll finally start gluing!

It's a labor of love and my 5 year old loves it!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 03:17 PM »
Just bought a Dremel motor tool to help with some of the trimming and sanding.  I've yet to get started, but hope to spend most of Memorial Day Weekend working on it.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 04:23 PM »
I use a dremel for some sanding, but I went with lexan scissors and the score and snap method for cutting.

It comes down to personal preference, but from what I've researched, you need to be careful cutting with a dremel.

Luckily, the cut lines on all the pieces is real easy to follow!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 08:53 PM »
Dremels tend to melt plastic, more than cut it...  They're too fast, and there's no real bit for "cutting plastic" made for them.  You'd be further ahead with the Lexan Scissors and such.  You can buy a plastic scriber at Lowes cheap (look where they sell acrylic, usually near screen door crap).

If you want to ball out, look up plastic cutting tools online...  You can get some specialty stuff on ebay cheap sometimes.

I'm not sure what thicknesses you guys are dealing with but Lexan tends to be thin and VERY pliable (RC Car bodies), so scissors may not work on something super thick (1/8th or so).

Anyway, as noted above, Dremels MELT plastic more than actually cutting it.  They're a little more tolerant on poly but when you get into (what I assume) is ABS, it melts quite easily.  Thus it's ideal for vac-forming stuff, but Poly stuff you can heat and it'll retake its shape (SW figure limbs).

Not sure what these Anovos suits are made of.  Dave, that would go for sanding too...  Be light handed with it, and definitely you want one with a variable speed setting, not a cheaper one.

Paul, if you plan on donating that kit to charity, think of the children...  IE: me. :)  I'd wear it driving around I think.

EDIT: BTW, Harbor Freight if you need "rare earth magnets" Matt...  Also they sell nice riveting tools and tools that install snaps and stuff.  Might be worth looking into.  I hear that's the toughest part of putting together trooping armor (making it fit, and "stay").
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:56 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 08:08 AM »
The Anovos suits are made with ABS plastic, .9 or .09 thickness.  This stuff is flexible but kinda thin compared to other armors out there.  So far, from what I've seen from whitearmor.net ad RPF, although these tend to be thin compared to other suits, they are very well made.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 06:45 PM »
I recently added a First Order Stormtrooper helmet to my collection.

I need to take new photos of my office.  :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 09:09 PM »
My current project.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 12:06 PM »
Take a look at the shin pieces....make sure the inner portion is slightly longer than the outer portion. 

Otherwise, it's coming along great!

I have a little tweaking to my belt to complete and then I'll be approved in the 501st!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 12:55 PM »
I've got one of the only Centurion's in the state keeping an eye on my progress. We must have spent an hour texting back-and-forth trying to determine which shin piece was correct. I think we got it right, finally, but it wasn't easy. So far, my biggest obstacle to hitting Centurion will be, I think, the placement of the outer strips on my return edges. I trimmed too much on one arm and had to compensate by giving more room on the edge. It might come down to how favorable the lighting will be and how nitpicky the staff are feeling at the time. Here lately, I've seen maybe two or three guys being told to fix stuff that isn't even part of the CRL.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 05:14 PM »
I've got one of the only Centurion's in the state keeping an eye on my progress. We must have spent an hour texting back-and-forth trying to determine which shin piece was correct. I think we got it right, finally, but it wasn't easy. So far, my biggest obstacle to hitting Centurion will be, I think, the placement of the outer strips on my return edges. I trimmed too much on one arm and had to compensate by giving more room on the edge. It might come down to how favorable the lighting will be and how nitpicky the staff are feeling at the time. Here lately, I've seen maybe two or three guys being told to fix stuff that isn't even part of the CRL.

I'm not even trying for Centurion, but our GML had me change things to Centurion standards.   ::)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #28 on: July 8, 2019, 05:29 AM »
Slow going...

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 8, 2019, 10:21 AM »
Looks good so far.  Keep it up!
This is the way.

I have spoken.