Author Topic: Rogue One TIE Striker  (Read 14615 times)

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue One TIE Striker
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 09:02 PM »
I've just opened and assembled the TIE now and IMHO, the TIE is probably the the best star fighter of the new line so far...  It more than makes up for the crappy TFA First Order TIE fighter and fits perfectly with existing Original Trilogy vehicles.  It is in scale with the Legacy/Vintage series TIE Interceptor, TIE Fighter, and TIE bomber.  The cockpit is rather well detailed with the seat and controls.  It is not nearly the realistic detail of the Legacy series TIEs, but far better than the First Order TIE we got last year and far better than that box the pilot sat in with the old vintage TIEs.  The nerf cannon is pretty well hidden between the chin guns under the cockpit and is not as much of an eyesore.  The wings are designed to raise up (landing configuration) and lower (combat configuration).  The narrative blurb on the box hints the reason for this feature as the TIE Striker is designed for use in atmospheric conditions.  The biggest potential drawback with the TIE is the soft plastic used for the wings.  They are a bit rubbery and I can see wing warping potentially being a problem.  The wings were well secured in the box, however and mine came out unbent.  The Imperial pilot that comes with the TIE is just a run-of-the-mill Imperial pilot, though it is actually a great sculpt with crisp detailing, despite being only a 5-POA figure.  I'm using one of the Legacy/Vintage series TIE pilots with the removable helmets instead.  Overall, I'm really happy with the TIE Striker ;D   
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 2, 2016, 02:50 PM »
I have to admit that I'm impressed overall with this thing.

Cons: 5 POA cockpit, everything nerf.

Pros: Size! It's hefty and as mentioned above, fits in well with the best OT TIEs Hasbro produced in their golden years. Also, I was able to minimize the Nerf stuff - took off the missile holders. There's a black screw mount left, but it's far less an eye sore that the missile holders. I also retracted the missile tube. Took a tiny bit of doing, but I disassembled the mechanism and tucked it in. Not perfect, but tolerable.

My goal is to purchase 9 of these overall. However, I'm going to wait for the "Value" one before I commit. Curious to see how it compares.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: October 2, 2016, 09:55 PM »
However, I'm going to wait for the "Value" one before I commit. Curious to see how it compares.

Compares to 3.75" I assume you mean?  In that case, horribly - none of the value vehicles are 3.75" scale really.  Here's a pic of the value Striker from Yak Twitter with a 3.75" K-2SO for comparison:

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: October 4, 2016, 12:36 AM »
Yeah the value stuff seems to be much more in-scale with very small figures.  That's why the Falcon was painted up and used as a miniatures battles piece for tabletop gaming...  Cool though that people find a use for them like that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 12:01 AM »
Whoa! That's awful. Thanks!
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 12:06 AM »
If you wanted the pilot but not the fighter
3x lot Star Wars Vintage Collect Revenge of the Jedi TIE Fighter Pilot

Those annoying clone blasters.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 12:23 AM »
Hmm. Description is obviously odd, but I suppose either way you'd be making out. Yay TIE Pilots. Love this version actually.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 1, 2016, 10:50 AM »
I got my pack of those Pilots yesterday.  They're cool, but definitely odd.  Bootleg maybe?  They look the same at a glance but the closer you look the more you see differences.  The plastic seems different (cheaper?) especially on the helmet, the stance is different, the paint apps are awful and of course they have the wrong blaster.  Here's a crappy cell phone photo I took on the way out the door this morning, the real one is on the right if it wasn't obvious:

For $3 each, they'll display just fine and I'm perfectly happy with them... but they're weird.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2016, 10:59 AM by Rob »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 5, 2016, 09:31 PM »
Bootlegs or factory rejects? I haven't been following closely enough to figure out what's going on with all those over-seas sellers.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 02:30 PM »
I bought a set to test them out.  Worst case scenario they are filler for all my ships that need TIE Pilots.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 02:14 PM »
Super late to the game on this one, but I finally grabbed one of these...great ship! I'm going to grab a couple more now that they're dirt cheap.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 05:46 PM »
One on the left looks a little more natural to me oddly.  If not a little chubby looking.  Definitely a different stance of sorts.  I may buy some and articulate them for that $.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77