Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 212157 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #855 on: November 17, 2022, 07:03 AM »
I'd happily back either a Ghost of TIE Defender.

There are so many possibilities with the Ghost.  Ghost crew on special cards and also release them in the main line on regular cards.  Make it compatible with the Phantom that was released when the show was airing?

A TIE Defender could have a lot of potential.  Special carded Thrawn?  Maybe some other Imperials from Rebels in TVC format? 
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #856 on: November 17, 2022, 10:20 AM »
-The Ghost.  This seems like more of a longshot since REBELS is more of a niche than the films or the live action Disney+ shows.  But if it turns up in the AHSOKA series?  That might give it a serious shot

To me Ghost is a perfect Haslab candidate.  A big, risky item that fans clearly want and they’d need to secure preorders for to get funding.  Obviously it depends on the production threshold, but I think it would make it’s number pretty easily unless they set it absurdly high.

Yeah, if Ghost turns up in the Ahsoka show with Hera/Sabine, I think that's a gimme.  Rebels was really popular, Ghost was in so many episodes and featured heavily, Ahsoka would give it a reason to come back around.

They can do TVC realistic versions of Chopper, Hera and Sabine from Ahsoka as the tiers and then re-issue slightly tweaked versions of those same figures in the mainline for the double-dipping they enjoy so much.  Then they can do Zeb as a $26 "deluxe" world building guy with some excuse about how he's bigger or whatever (I think they pulled that with the 6" line Zeb too).

Make it compatible with the Phantom that was released when the show was airing?

I don't know if I like that.  I'd hate to compromise the scale/size of Ghost to accommodate the old Phantom.  I'd rather they just build a new one into a HasLab Ghost.  There are probably plenty of people who didn't buy that tiny Phantom and would skip this if it has a gaping hole/spot where it was supposed to go.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #857 on: November 17, 2022, 10:56 AM »
I just wonder how big the Ghost would have to be. Could they do it justice? I know it's roughly Millennium Falcon sized, but there are a bunch of areas to create, including sleeping quarters, cargo hold, cockpit area. I guess it could work, but it would need to be much larger than the Razor Crest I'd think. Plus you'd need the Phantom, and that thing wasn't even small, since they could fit several people in there. That alone would probably need to be around the size of the Imperial Troop Transport.

I'm all for the Ghost, but I just worry about how many corners they'd have to cut to actually make it, and would that turn people off so it doesn't end up backing? I don't think TVC can risk a Haslab failure.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: November 17, 2022, 10:58 AM »
Make it compatible with the Phantom that was released when the show was airing?

I don't know if I like that.  I'd hate to compromise the scale/size of Ghost to accommodate the old Phantom.  I'd rather they just build a new one into a HasLab Ghost.  There are probably plenty of people who didn't buy that tiny Phantom and would skip this if it has a gaping hole/spot where it was supposed to go.

Good point.  The original was a fun toy, but pretty basic.  If the scale and price allowed it would be great to get at least a retooled version (or all new) that had a lot more detail on it.

Agreed they would have to take some liberties on scale and areas that they included.  An actual to scale Ghost with sleeping quarters, cargo hold, etc. would be way too big.  I'm fine with that though.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: November 17, 2022, 11:52 AM »
How about a TIE Defender? Though it would likely lead to some folks buying multiples, then again it might be harder to get the balance right from a value proposition perspective on a smaller ship.

Similar to The Ghost, The Twilight is another option that probably missed its timing from a supporting media point of view.

I think the TIE Defender is an excellent idea!  And one that could be done at a lower price point than the larger vehicles.  Include the pilot from the start.

Stretch goals?
-Service gantry
-Removable hyperdrive (as seen in REBELS)
-Vult Skerris figure

I also really like the idea of the Twilight as a Haslab.  Love for Clone Wars only seems to keep growing.  And that ship would be BIG!

As for a ship that doesn't need to be done as a Haslab campaign?  How about a blue & white repaint of the CLONE WARS Y-Wing?  It played such a pivotal role in the finale of CLONE WARS, "Victory & Death".  And it turned up again in TALES OF THE JEDI.  It could also be a way for Hasbro to FINALLY get TVC Captain Rex in his phase 2 armor right.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: November 17, 2022, 03:51 PM »
I might be the only one but the TIE Defender was a design that never did anything for me.  I thought it was clunky and silly looking and felt like a boring attempt to just do more TIE's. 

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: November 17, 2022, 05:17 PM »
I might be the only one but the TIE Defender was a design that never did anything for me.  I thought it was clunky and silly looking and felt like a boring attempt to just do more TIE's.

I'm in the same boat.  We've got plenty already - standard TIE (in a variety of flavors), Darth Vader's, TIE Bomber, First Order TIE. 

If they're going to do a new TIE I would prefer it was the Moff Gideon's Outland TIE, but I think the price point is off.  I can't imagine paying much more than $100 for a fancy TIE and HasLab items seem to be $250 minimum.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #862 on: November 17, 2022, 05:51 PM »
I can't imagine paying much more than $100 for a fancy TIE and HasLab items seem to be $250 minimum.

Considering the recent round of X-Wings were $100-110 (with only Poe's X-Wing new; Luke and Merrick's were repaints) and the Mando N-1 is rumored to be around $140, there is no chance a TIE Defender would be less than $150 in the current environment.

With that in mind, and the fact that the GI Joe Skystriker was a $230 HasLab project, I think it's realistic for Hasbro to try and go $200-250 for something like a newly scaled/tooled B-Wing or a Y-Wing or TIE Defender.  Which is CRAZY.  But that's where we are, I guess.  :-\

I don't think I'd bite on a $200-250 Y-Wing when the version I already have isn't terrible.  I'd prefer the HasLabs to stick with things we don't have yet.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: November 17, 2022, 06:06 PM »
Man, I would still love to get the Twilight one day but for sure I would back the Ghost. Lots of great Tier options there.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: November 17, 2022, 11:14 PM »
Agreed Jeff.  Haslab shouldn’t be for updates to popular OT vehicles that have sold well in various forms for 40 years.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: November 18, 2022, 11:33 AM »
After this week's episode of ANDOR, I'm kind of wanting a Fondor haulcraft!

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #866 on: November 19, 2022, 10:03 PM »
I’d be cool with a TIE Defender but it’s kinda obscure at this point imo.  I mean I love it but Rebels isn’t very current and TIE Fighter even less so.  I dunno what is good to rally behind besides Cantinas and Death Stars… Cantina in the realm of the JP is what I’d probably prefer right now, just personally.  But I’m open to whatever they’d throw at us I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #867 on: November 21, 2022, 05:44 PM »
I'd much rather go all-in on a re-release of the TIE Interceptor. I only have one of those from the new tooling, and I'd like a couple more.

The first time we saw the TIE Defender was in that Rebel Assault game in the '90s, right? I kind of felt like "toss another wing on there" was in full effect with that design, but Rebels definitely did make it seem cooler. No one can convince me the TIE Crawler isn't a crappy design though.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 22, 2022, 02:30 PM »
On a related note, I've been thinking lately about the lack of small / medium vehicles in the line.  Not the speeder bikes, but the landspeeders and starfighters.  And it's gotten me thinking about vehicles that would be good offerings in The Vintage Collection.

There are a number of vehicles that have been made over the years in various 3.75" figure lines, but not in the level of detail that TVC seems to be capable of producing.  Jedi starfighters come to mind.  So do some OT vehicles like Darth Vader's TIE or an update to the Y-Wing or A-Wing.

And then there are some vehicles that have never been made before.  One that came to mind is the Clone version of the Z-95.  And of course, Mando's N-1 starfighter,

I'm curious what other vehicles people might want to see if Hasbro should bring back vehicles in a meaningful way.

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 22, 2022, 03:43 PM »
I'm curious what other vehicles people might want to see if Hasbro should bring back vehicles in a meaningful way.

As much as I love the hyper detailed Razor Crest, Imperial Assault Combat Tank, and to some degree the Imperial Troop Transport - I hope they don't go back and redesign all the Jedi Starfighters, etc. and "re-release" them at a $100 price point.

I'd rather see as many all new vehicles as possible.  I'd rather see a Fondor Haulcraft, a Quad Jumper, or Rebel Transport, or something a little more obscure introduced then an upgraded something I've already got.