Author Topic: NHL Offseason 2015  (Read 10629 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
NHL Offseason 2015
« on: June 18, 2015, 12:58 PM »
Blackhawks win, their fans celebrate.  For the other 29 teams and their fans...  the draft is just 8 days away!   :P

I'm ready to see how the summer plays out for the Wild. 

Do we resign Dubnyk?  What about our other two goalie trainwrecks?  Do we trade someone to open up cap space?  Do we trade any RFAs (Granlund, Haula) because we can't sign them?

Looks like our first move may have happened today - Matt Cooke placed on waivers; buyout next?  I guess the Pens can go ahead and have him back, Jesse.  :D

Not what I was expecting to be our first salary cap move of the off-season.  I guess there wasn't a good trade market for him... can't say I'm surprised about that. 

I liked most of what Cooke brought to the Wild the past couple years (intensity, corner work, PK), but at the same time there were too many flashes of the "old" Matt Cooke.  Questionable high hits and of course the knee-on-knee on Barrie in 2014 playoffs.  Add in the injuries of last Spring and I can't say I'll miss him too much.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NHL Offseason 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 11:02 PM »
I'm afraid this thread is just going to devolve into the "Jeff tries to keep his expectations in check" thread these next three weeks...

#mnwild #dubnyk4vezina #dubnyk4hart #suter4norris #brodin4ladybyng #koivu4selke #parise4messier

Ok, now you've become delusional.  Dubnyk is playing very, very well.  But the wheels may fall off sooner than you'd like.  It may not be until next year, but the Vezina and Hart trophies are year long trophies, not last third of the season stuff.  Even still, I'd say Price is ahead in both. 

How about that.  Plus the Ted Lindsay.  And the Jennings. 

What I said I said not because Dubnyk wasn't stellar, I said it as much because Price was having a better season for a longer period of time plus I think the Wild overall are a better hockey team than the Canadiens.  Better balance front to back, better mix of age and youth, probably better management at the moment and less headache-y players too.  So I think Price had less to work with maybe. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 11:28 PM »
I've finally come off the high of the last week and the joy of a third Cup in my lifetime.  I have been blessed to be a fan of Chicago teams that have won Championships in every sport that I care about.  Bear, Bulls, White Sox and Blackhawks.  My wife is the only one in the house that is still holding out hope that this year will bring her Cubs a World Series.  I will support her in her misery later this year when that doesn't come to fruition... Again...

Now the focus goes from the joy of seeing them win, to the heartbreak of who will be leaving the team to make Cap space.  I just really hope that they can keep the Saadfather for many more years to come.  He has definitely emerged as one of my favorites on the team.  And I was glad to see TVR make it back from the patella injury.  He started off having a great season and it was too bad he got sidelined for as long as he did.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that Sharp and Oduya are gone (assuming Oduya recovers from elbow surgery and someone takes him) and wouldn't be surprised if Bickell is no longer on the bench come the season opener.  I'd like to see them try to get something done for Vermette but I'm not going to hold my breath.  I think that Richards would likely resign for more than last season but it's just a matter of whether they want to pay him or use the money elsewhere.

Going to be an interesting off season for sure!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 05:36 PM »
I'm kinda feeling Bickell will be on your bench come September.  Exactly what would you move him for?  Of course with the obvious relationship between the Hawks and Jets management, we might end up with him  ::)

Sharp gone for sure.  Oduya's return will be small.  Think you'll lose some other pieces too, especially if you're keeping Saad. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 06:03 PM »
Lotta teams after Saad, including his hometown.  :-X  One of the few I think we'd give up big for.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 08:27 PM »
Blackhawks aren't letting Saad go... and he's on record as wanting to stay.  Fingers crossed... I figured Oduya was as good as gone, that some team would throw a little too much money at him and he'd take it. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 09:03 PM »
James Neal and the Pens said the same thing.  Just sayin'.

That said even if he was to leave, I don't think he'd wind up here given $ situation.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:09 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 09:57 PM »
Sure, but I'm hoping the chance to play on a team with 3 recent championships is worth something to him too. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 11:38 PM »
I don't think anyone wants to leave Chicago right now, be it Saad or someone else.  But a couple of all-stars and 21 million tied up in two players under a $71 million salary cap says guys are going to have to move, like it or not.  Saad is an RFA, the Hawks don't have to pay him THAT much really.  But if they don't, he's likely to walk once he reaches UFA, winning team or not. 

Loyalty is a dead concept.  The "home town discount" is going to amount to far less than $1 million/year difference.  Rest assured if he gets a bridge deal at $2.5 or so, it'll be harder to sign him after that two beyond his two remaining RFA years.  Every team in the league wants Saad.  While I don't think anyone will offer sheet him with a ridiculous offer because of the compensation associated with high end deals, it still might happen.  But an unsatisfactory deal, economic reality be damned, isn't going to sit well if the Leafs come calling two years down the road offering $6/7 million per.  Chicago just can't afford that. 

Toews+Kane+Hossa+Shaw+Seabrook+Keith+Hjalmarsson+Crawford = nearly $50 million dollars in salary next year.  It's going to be hard to move Bickell, but easy to move Sharp.  But even discounting those two if they're moved, you've got 8 guys on a 23 man roster making $50 million.  Teravainen is a bargain, but if you don't get much for Bickell or Sharp or Oduya (well you won't get anything here because he's UFA but it'll leave a big hole) or Versteeg in return, it won't be quite as pretty.  As it currently shows, Chicago has $7 million in cap space and 10 guys unsigned.  Eep!

Again, great organization right now.  Really run well, some absolute top end talent spread throughout the positions.  Don't think you could find a guy that wouldn't want to go there.  Oh, oh.  Salary Cap. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 12:17 AM »
what Brent said... 

So many names thrown around here for wingers, but a lot hinges on who we'd unload on D, and dead weight.  Oshie, Kessel, Sharp, etc.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 09:13 AM »
I don't think anyone wants to leave Chicago right now, be it Saad or someone else.  But a couple of all-stars and 21 million tied up in two players under a $71 million salary cap says guys are going to have to move, like it or not.  Saad is an RFA, the Hawks don't have to pay him THAT much really.  But if they don't, he's likely to walk once he reaches UFA, winning team or not. 

Loyalty is a dead concept.  The "home town discount" is going to amount to far less than $1 million/year difference.  Rest assured if he gets a bridge deal at $2.5 or so, it'll be harder to sign him after that two beyond his two remaining RFA years.  Every team in the league wants Saad.  While I don't think anyone will offer sheet him with a ridiculous offer because of the compensation associated with high end deals, it still might happen.  But an unsatisfactory deal, economic reality be damned, isn't going to sit well if the Leafs come calling two years down the road offering $6/7 million per.  Chicago just can't afford that. 

Toews+Kane+Hossa+Shaw+Seabrook+Keith+Hjalmarsson+Crawford = nearly $50 million dollars in salary next year.  It's going to be hard to move Bickell, but easy to move Sharp.  But even discounting those two if they're moved, you've got 8 guys on a 23 man roster making $50 million.  Teravainen is a bargain, but if you don't get much for Bickell or Sharp or Oduya (well you won't get anything here because he's UFA but it'll leave a big hole) or Versteeg in return, it won't be quite as pretty.  As it currently shows, Chicago has $7 million in cap space and 10 guys unsigned.  Eep!

Again, great organization right now.  Really run well, some absolute top end talent spread throughout the positions.  Don't think you could find a guy that wouldn't want to go there.  Oh, oh.  Salary Cap.

No horse in this race, but this is dead on.  Most guys play for two reasons, the money and the glory.  With "glory" checked off the bucket list, it comes down to money.  Sports fans tend to over romanticize the concept of players turning their noses up at making big dollars playing for a loser.  Of course, the inverse is true when a player is at the end of their prime with no title to show for it, they sometimes take a lesser deal to play for a team that can realize championship dreams.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 11:33 AM »
I get all that, and maybe it's wishful thinking, but both sides want to get it done and Stan Bowman's a creative guy... I'm hopeful he can sort it out.  If he can't, at least it paid off with a cup this year.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 02:38 PM »
I love the draft.  Trades, picks, signings. Fun, fun, fun. :)

Waiting to see if we sign Dubnyk or if we trade for a different guy... do we trade Spurgeon for offensive help... do we sign Granlund of give up on him... should be a good night.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 01:10 AM »
Really enjoyed the first round of the draft, watched the whole thing.  Some nice surprises, quite an exciting day.  Quite pleased to not be a Bruins fan, but have to say thanks to their group because no way did I see Kyle Connor falling to the Jets at #17  :o  Naturally Chevy turns around at #25 and has me going  ??? so it's pretty much a perfect Jets first round.  Honestly I'd have taken Juulsen, Larsson, Beauvillier, Konecny or Kylington ahead of Roslovic but the Jets have drafted well so I'll trust them on this one. 

Was very surprised the Wild took Eriksson Ek instead of White.  I really liked White and thought he was seriously undervalued due to injuries and illness this year.  Was hoping he'd fall to 25. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 03:07 PM »
Chuckle.  Harkins falls all the way to #47 and Jets say 'yes, please'.  Surreal.  Most were talking of him being a first rounder and many Jets fans would have been happy with him at #25 oa.  Not quite sure about the remainder of the picks, but those first three?  Oh hell yeah.  Chevy likes his 'Mericans.