Author Topic: TESB Black Series 40th Anniversary Collection  (Read 7803 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
TESB Black Series 40th Anniversary Collection
« on: January 12, 2020, 10:07 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised to see this news pop up in my social media feed from Yakface.  I know that this had been rumored, and getting confirmation of these is welcome news.

Based on the initial reports I was expecting a number of repacks.  But the revised look for Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues) is a massive improvement over the original release.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: TESB Black Series 40th Anniversary Collection
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 11:38 AM »
Yeah that Luke is a must-buy. Only other one I "need" is the Han, and that would be to throw the headsculpt on other figures
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 12:26 PM »
Yeah that Luke is a must-buy. Only other one I "need" is the Han, and that would be to throw the headsculpt on other figures

Has anyone done a comparison of the photos to see how similar/different these figures are to what we've already got?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 12:48 PM »
I know at this point it is basically all repacks, but I’m still pretty excited for these. Like always, a sucker for the packaging. I’ve really been hoping for a new photo real improvement to Bespin Luke, because he just looks out of his element next to the excellent Bespin Han and Bespin Escape Leia figures. Also kind of like these as an anniversary type special line. A dozen or so figures from each movie, on the nice vintage card backs. Unless they decide to put the entire Black Series on these cards, these are a nice treat every few years.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 03:14 PM »
I have mixed feelings about the line, too.  The figures look great on these cards.  Outside of Bespin Luke, I'm having a difficult time finding the added value for collectors.  Granted, the face sculpt on Bespin Luke is a remarkable improvement.  But the figures like Han, Leia and Yoda already got the benefit of facial printing technology.  There's no real upgrade to those outside of packaging.  And the AT-AT Driver didn't really need an upgrade in paint apps.

The rumor list for later releases is promising.  I hope we see some more new items in the later wave(s).  Snowspeeder pilot Luke seems like a cool offering, especially since the Black Series Centerpiece offering was basically a glorified statue, or like the Unleashed figures of 15 years ago.

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 04:17 PM »
Wow, all those new figures they showed off today... ::)

Meanwhile, Marvel Legends rolls out like 30 brand new figures in their presentation. WTH
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 04:37 PM »
10 figures! Not sure how I feel about the Snowspeeder Luke and Dagobah R2, though.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 12:13 AM »
Finally got through resizing and uploading all the press pics - there are a ton of ESB 40th pics (41 pics for the ten figures) so I'm only going to post the carded figures here.  You can check out all the Press Pics in our Image Gallery.

Wave 01

Wave 02:

STAR WARS: THE BLACK SERIES 40TH ANNIVERSARY 6-INCH Figure Assortment
(HASBRO/Ages 4 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $19.99/Available: Spring 2020)
Imagine the biggest battles and missions in the Star Wars saga with figures from STAR WARS: THE BLACK SERIES! With exquisite features and decoration, this series embodies the quality and realism STAR WARS devotees love. Commemorate the 40th Anniversary of STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK with figures from STAR WARS: THE BLACK SERIES, featuring movie-inspired design and detail, and vintage packaging with original Kenner branding! STAR WARS fans and collectors can display these highly poseable figures, featuring premium deco inspired by characters in STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, in their action figure collections. Characters in this assortment include LUKE SKYWALKER, PRINCESS LEIA ORGANA, HAN SOLO, LANDO CALRISSIAN, YODA, R2-D2, and more. Each figure sold separately. Available at most major retailers.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 09:37 PM »
Am I right in that the only two all new figures are Snowspeeder Luke and Hoth Rebel Soldier? 

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 01:10 AM »
It is weird that they left out the Dagobah Luke that won the fan poll last year...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 07:06 AM »
It is weird that they left out the Dagobah Luke that won the fan poll last year...

That seems to be an exclusive.  IIRC, Jayson posted a shelf tag for a Dagobah Luke with Yoda deluxe set that is turning up at TRU in Canada.  I guess the US retailer is still TBD.

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 08:50 AM »

That seems to be an exclusive.  IIRC, Jayson posted a shelf tag for a Dagobah Luke with Yoda deluxe set that is turning up at TRU in Canada.  I guess the US retailer is still TBD.

Looking into it, Dagobah Luke is coming on the 40th card in a wave 3 Hasbro didn't announce, along with Vader, Chewie, Boba Fett, and a Snowtrooper. Wonder why these didn't get mentioned at all?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 09:05 AM »

Looking into it, Dagobah Luke is coming on the 40th card in a wave 3 Hasbro didn't announce, along with Vader, Chewie, Boba Fett, and a Snowtrooper. Wonder why these didn't get mentioned at all?

Weird.  Because this shelf tag seems kind of authoritative.

Feedback