Author Topic: 2023 Kenner Retro Collection - ANH Collectible 6-Pack #2  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
I just saw someone on RS say the Retro 6-pack is $94.99. 

Is that true?

$15.83 plus tax and shipping for 5-POA figures??

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2023 Kenner Retro Collection - ANH Collectible 6-Pack #2
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 12:18 AM »
I just saw someone on RS say the Retro 6-pack is $94.99. 

Yes -
STAR WARS RETRO COLLECTION STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE COLLECTIBLE MULTIPACK
(HASBRO/Age 4 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $94.99/Available: Spring 2023)

A big jump fom the $69 they charged for the last one - repacks vs all-new figures I guess is their excuse?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 12:18 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 10:56 AM »
There’s no excuse.  It’s highway robbery for retro to cost the same thing as TVC.  Hell, that’s actually almost a dollar more each than the three super-articulated TVC preorders yesterday.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 10:58 AM by Rob »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 11:34 AM »
[

When do these go up? 

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 11:45 AM »
[

When do these go up?

They said they will announce the order date at a later time.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 11:53 AM »
There’s no excuse.  It’s highway robbery for retro to cost the same thing as TVC.  Hell, that’s actually almost a dollar more each than the three super-articulated TVC preorders yesterday.

It's Super7 pricing without the Super7 quirky lineup. I would much rather pay premium for unrealized Kenner OT figures than a Death Squad Commando they can't sell in a store because of the name pill.

Artoo and Threepio could be released in huge numbers in 2-packs or whatever to pay for those molds. And then Hasbro could turn around and make any number of other droids off the molds (see Stan Solo.)

Jawas and Sand People in 2-packs/Mandalorian cards would also be easy sales. 

There is no reason for these figures to not have a plan in place to amortize the molds.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 12:44 PM »
[

When do these go up?

They said they will announce the order date at a later time.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 02:45 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 01:07 PM »

I thought the Highway Robbery was Hasbro offering Slave One yet again in 2023 when they had just offered it in 2020, for $50 more, and now with a pack-in figure.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 02:27 PM »
It’s both.  Between that, the $16.99 repaints and the $27 “deluxe” Fett.  I’m worried that Hasbro is testing what they can get away with and finding that they can get away with a lot.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 04:15 PM »
It's Super7 pricing without the Super7 quirky lineup.

Over the course of like 4 years, Super 7 went from $9.99 with Funko, to $14.99 by themselves, to $18, and I read the other day that some of the new preorders are showing up at $19.50.

At $18, I quit and never looked back.  I love that line... but with tax and shipping I was paying $23+ for a single figure from them, they don't have sales, or clubs, or free shipping with purchases over X... they are just expensive. 

It seems to have worked for them, but at some point the value just wasn't there for what you get.  For me at least... 

Now with Hasbro in a similar span, 5-POA went from like $6.99 or $7.99 with Solo, to $9.99 for Retro, and now they're seemingly randomly pried between $10.99 and about $16 each for these guys. 

I could be wrong, but at the speed this stuff is jumping, it just feels like gouging and greed more than necessary costs due to supply chain issues and Covid

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 09:29 AM »
It's the two vac-metalized figures.  They're jacking the price up on this so when it doesn't sell well, they will use that data to justify not doing a modern vac-metalized C-3P0.

*edit*

Another, more plausible, reason is that Hasbro is charging this ridiculous price because they know most people will pay it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 11:49 AM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 12:06 PM »
Now with Hasbro in a similar span, 5-POA went from like $6.99 or $7.99 with Solo, to $9.99 for Retro, and now they're seemingly randomly pried between $10.99 and about $16 each for these guys. 

I think Retro is sort of fun at $10 or less, but pretty stupid at prices much above that.

I would much, much rather have all new 5POA figures with full paint applications and modern style sculpts than Retro figures.  I'd even be willing to pay somewhat more for new 5POA figures ($13?) than Retro figures.  There are so many 5POA from Mando, Solo, etc. that I'd love to see made before more Retro figures, new or old.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 01:19 PM »

I think Retro is sort of fun at $10 or less, but pretty stupid at prices much above that.

I would much, much rather have all new 5POA figures with full paint applications and modern style sculpts than Retro figures.  I'd even be willing to pay somewhat more for new 5POA figures ($13?) than Retro figures.  There are so many 5POA from Mando, Solo, etc. that I'd love to see made before more Retro figures, new or old.

Agreed 100%...remakes of the Kenner figures at prices close to what loose real Kenner figures sell for are nuts.

I miss the modern 5POAs as well...Hasbro botched assortments there for a few years, and retail lost confidence in them, but I sure wish Hasbro could figure out a way to give us a "background weirdo" line in some capacity...it's what made Star Wars figures great back in the day.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 01:32 PM »
...it's what made Star Wars figures great back in the day.

Amen.

I know times have changed, but as a kid in the vintage days I don't think I would have bought any repack/repaint figure because it was ever so slightly different.  My one ANH Darth Vader was all I needed for the whole trilogy of adventures.  But I did buy every cantina alien and bounty hunter with 2 seconds of screen time because they were new, weird, and awesome.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2022, 01:49 PM »
Agreed 100%...remakes of the Kenner figures at prices close to what loose real Kenner figures sell for are nuts.

I definitely think this is aimed more at carded collectors than loose collectors.  They really haven't hit of those really HTF vintage figures yet.