Author Topic: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)  (Read 210718 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode IX
« Reply #30 on: September 5, 2017, 09:26 PM »
This reminds me of situations at work where someone is a great manager, or great employee, but is terrible at hiring people because they don't understand EQ, or the company culture and how all the pieces fit together. 

I'm not sure who is hiring these directors (Kennedy?), but whoever is doing the hiring may lack the EQ or skills to really understand what it is going to take for a director to succeed.  Its not just about finding "a great director, but finding a good director who can work within the constructs of the Lucasfilm machine.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 5, 2017, 09:58 PM »
Damn, I was looking forward to the extended torture scene where a minor female character is grabbed by a Dianoga and nearly drowned before the Dianoga is eaten by a Nexu, which eats the female until both are eaten by a Rancor
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #32 on: September 5, 2017, 11:55 PM »
Kennedy is hiring the directors (she runs Lucasfilm) and she is making the decisions to let them go. Her track record as a producer is legendary, and so far with SW, she's only made over 3 billion dollars off two movies. That's not to say there might not be a problem.

I think it has to do with vision (we've heard it several times now) and maybe the reality these directors face vs. what was offered to them. At the outset, a lot was made of we want to make creative, boundary stretching SW films (mainly in the anthology series). A lot of new, hot directors got soaked up into the hype and the machine and then they started making these movies, and some found out, uh oh, there's shareholders. There's box office goals. There's a type of film that's expected as opposed to what was possible, and perhaps - who knows - that has led to some friction at all levels.

Clearly JJ Abrams knows how to navigate this and make a good movie. Clearly Rian Johnson does too. Lord and Miller? Who knows. Trevorrow I think is a victim of expectations. He got picked in 2015 for a movie that comes out in 2019, off the back of Jurassic World. That movie made a ton of money, but he may not be the talent Kennedy thought he was.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: September 6, 2017, 12:32 PM »
I think it has to do with vision (we've heard it several times now) and maybe the reality these directors face vs. what was offered to them. At the outset, a lot was made of we want to make creative, boundary stretching SW films (mainly in the anthology series). A lot of new, hot directors got soaked up into the hype and the machine and then they started making these movies, and some found out, uh oh, there's shareholders. There's box office goals. There's a type of film that's expected as opposed to what was possible, and perhaps - who knows - that has led to some friction at all levels.

It's not just Star Wars, Marvel has had their share of lost directors too.  Edgar Wright got booted from Ant-Man, Whedon left Avengers Infinity War, Patti Jenkins left Thor, etc.  Film insiders were saying the same kind of things about Marvel's Kevin Feige that they are saying about KKennedy now.

Here was another good article from EW this summer about how the producers are the becoming the driving artistic forces for these Disney franchises and if directors can't work within those systems, they won't last long there.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #34 on: September 6, 2017, 01:07 PM »
At least he is gone before filming has started.....unlike the Han Solo film.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #35 on: September 6, 2017, 01:32 PM »
Here was another good article from EW this summer about how the producers are the becoming the driving artistic forces for these Disney franchises and if directors can't work within those systems, they won't last long there.

This is certainly the new normal.  :(

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 6, 2017, 02:46 PM »
Episode 8 will bomb so hard that there won't be a episode IX. Landfills will surge with unsold Porg merchandise. The Han Solo movie will go straight to Netflix. Disney will scramble for anyone to buy the franchise...and a reborn CANNON Pictures will acquire the rights.   :o

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 6, 2017, 08:16 PM »

It's not just Star Wars, Marvel has had their share of lost directors too.  Edgar Wright got booted from Ant-Man, Whedon left Avengers Infinity War, Patti Jenkins left Thor, etc.  Film insiders were saying the same kind of things about Marvel's Kevin Feige that they are saying about KKennedy now.

That does seem to be an appropriate comparison.  And considering that both Lucasfilm and Marvel are under the Disney banner?  I can see Bob Iger and Alan Horn of Disney supporting that kind of producer first business model.  I appreciate that Kathleen Kennedy has wanted to pursue some developing talent on the director front.  But there's also something to be said for going with a proven performer.

So who is reasonably in contention to take on this project?  There are a number of people that come to mind.  George had pursued both Ron Howard and Stephen Spielberg for the PT, but they both passed.  Now Ron Howard is deep in post-production for the Han Solo movie.  And Spielberg is booked up for the next few years with at least 3 or 4 directing gigs for greenlit projects.

There are some other people with links to K Kennedy, like her husband Frank Marshall who has a solid history with Lucasfilm, but mostly as a producer.  Joe Johnston's name was brought up when we were having this discussion about the Han Solo movie.  Gareth Edwards?  While ROGUE ONE was generally well received, info that came to light following the release seems to indicate that he may have been in over his head.

The most far-fetched theory I've seen is that George would come back to do E9.  I just can't see it happening.  I think he wanted a clean break from things, despite having shown up for set visits and at Celebration Orlando.  I got the sense that a big part of why he sold the company was that he was tired of being second-guessed by fans who fancied themselves as armchair critics/screenwriters/producers, and got very vocal about everything that they felt George had done wrong with THEIR favorite film franchise.  You know, the one that he created himself.  Why would he want to put himself through that again?

The safe money appears to be on either JJ Abrams coming back, or Rian Johnson.  Just today there was an article in the NY Times about how 'The Last Jedi' is very much Johnson's movie, and that he has the confidence of people at Disney/Lucasfilm as both writer and director.  And JJ isn't booked for any directing gigs right now. 

I'm thinking that Kathleen Kennedy will tap either JJ or Rian Johnson for E9.  While the new movies have had phenomenal box office grosses, the drama surrounding directors on multiple projects can't be reflecting on her well with Disney.  And I think the safer bet might be the move to watch for.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #38 on: September 6, 2017, 08:28 PM »
Unless he doesn't want to do it, it will almost certainly be Rian Johnson. If it's not broke, don't fix it. JJ has been pretty vocal (in the past, maybe it's different now) that he doesn't want to do any more sequels. I don't think there's any chance of anyone else unless they both pass. If that's the case, Gareth Edwards or perhaps Ron Howard.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #39 on: September 7, 2017, 03:59 PM »
If TLJ is really good, I'm behind Rian Johnson getting the nod.  Gareth Edwards would also be a good choice after how well done Rogue One is.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 7, 2017, 06:28 PM »
TLJ is no doubt really deep into post production.  Which means they probably have a final cut of the film, but they're still working on refining effects shots and animation, along with working on the sound mix and music.  The studio execs from both Lucasfilm and Disney have probably screened this rough cut and have a very good idea about how the movie is going to play.  And that will probably inform the decision making process if they want to offer Episode 9 to Rian Johnson.

As for Gareth Edwards?  I keep seeing a lot about how Lucasfilm brought in Tony Gilroy to handle the ROGUE ONE reshoots, which were reportedly quite extensive.  IIRC, that may have been the point in production where the decision was made that the principles of the Scarif strike team DID escape with the Death Star plans (remember those trailer shots of Jyn Erso and Cassian running on the beach dodging fire from AT-ACT's?).  But that's another tangential discussion entirely.

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #41 on: September 7, 2017, 07:35 PM »
TLJ is coming pretty quick to picture lock (I believe TFA was October of 2015, could be wrong) and you're right, Disney and Lucasfilm know what they have in the movie and in Rian Johnson.

A factor in their decision is IX was supposed to begin filming in January-ish of next year. This almost certainly isn't going to happen now. Johnson could conceivably write the script and prep the film from the ground up as he's winding down TLJ, but at four months out or so, I doubt it and there's nothing lost in delaying it from May to December of 19.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 7, 2017, 08:47 PM »
I think a shift in the production schedule is a near certainty.  It was really ambitious when it was announced, and we've had significant changes occur since that initial Bob Iger statement that there would be a Star Wars movie every year.  And in light of all of the director changes we might start to see a little more space between Star Wars films.

There are other factors that I think are coming into play, too.  It seems like the merchandising schedule has been thrown off a bit by the aggressive film release schedule.  It might not seem that relevant to film production, but those royalties that all of the licensees pay to Disney are nothing to sneeze at.  Giving a merchandise line like that of TLJ more time at retail before it gets cleared out benefits the licensee AND Disney before they have to retool for the next product line.

The Han Solo movie has had significant issues.  There's an Obi-Wan movie in development, too.  And now we know that E9 has script issues, a change in director and there might be merchandising considerations.  I can totally see Episode 9 sliding back to a December release.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2017, 08:49 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 8, 2017, 12:35 PM »
I've been staying out of these threads, but I wanted to pop in and just say that I'm really happy that Trevorrow is out. 

I thought Jurassic World was fine as a big monster popcorn movie, but nothing about his resume left me thinking that he was the guy to take a Star Wars trilogy home in a way that would be special and meaningful. 

I suppose the real question will be who do they get to replace him, but Kathleen Kennedy doesn't seem to be afraid to pull the trigger when someone's not getting the job done, which is a good thing.  Why she hired Trevorrow in the first place always seemed like a head scratcher to me though.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #44 on: September 8, 2017, 02:40 PM »
I kind of see Trevorrow - he had just come off JW, produced by Frank Marshall, Kennedy's husband. But like you and I think a lot of people it was like, I didn't see anything that gave me any confidence he's going to make a good SW film.